Food for Survival Kit - suggestions please

Page 3 / 5
pickles7, Feb 28, 5:38am
We have a tote bag ready to grab with all toiletries medications, bandages saline etc., another with emergency warm clothes rain coats leather shoes and sox, all old and stuff we can do with out. Large plastic bags, added today. I have been filling up milk bottles with water, adding 3 drops of janola to each and putting them outside under a hedge. We also have 2 x 23 liter containers full of water. We always have a good supply of caned baked beans etc, we can eat those cold.
The milk bottles of water will come in handy for washing, if not great for drinking. Maybe I will look at another 23 liter container, I have 1 I brew wine in empty, better to be full, come to think of it. People probably have heaps of containers kicking around empty.

calista, Feb 28, 5:42am
Copy those precious photos and important papers ontoa memory sitck or cd or some other electronic storage) and sent to a friend /family member who lives in another town (they can send theirs to you).That way you won't lose them (unless it's a nuclesr war or something truly cataclysmic).Sometimes these can be the most distressing things to lose.

Sorry, off the food topic, but a hany hint a friend picked up on the Americam Red Cross site.

Also have some cash on hand. ATM machines rely on electricity (personal experience).

Transistor radio and batteries (or I think you may be able to get wind up omes like the torches)

calista, Feb 28, 5:42am
Copy those precious photos and important papers ontoa memory sitck or cd or some other electronic storage) and sent to a friend /family member who lives in another town (they can send theirs to you).That way you won't lose them (unless it's a nuclesr war or something truly cataclysmic).Sometimes these can be the most distressing things to lose.

Sorry, off the food topic, but a hany hint a friend picked up on the Americam Red Cross site.

Also have some cash on hand. ATM machines rely on electricity (personal experience).

Transistor radio and batteries (or I think you may be able to get wind up omes like the torches)

calista, Feb 28, 5:44am
Ooppps that was clever.

My brain is suffering liquifaction/

elliehen, Feb 28, 10:27am
Everyone in NZ will be taking a survival kit more seriously now.After the September 4 earthquake a Christchurch school was selling one their young entrepreneurs had created as a fundraiser.This is the email I received after I enquired about it last December, but I do not know whether they are still available.

"We have used the Civil Defence guidelines to develop this survival kit and the main feature is a sturdy reliable dynamo radio torch cell charger combo as well as a whole lot of other items.The idea is that you keep all the items together in one place, contained in a sealed container.One of the most common comments made after the earthquake here in Christchurch was that no one could find their transistor, batteries were flat or someone had moved the torches and no one knew where they were.This kit does not require batteries.The kit is also in keeping with the theme of the event and makes it a very worthy fundraiser (and they make great gifts!). The kits cost $69 plus post, just let us know if you want to purchase these, with your name address and the number you require and I will email you with our bank account details and once received will dispatch.

The fundraiser is for Cobham Intermediate School’s 2010 Year 7 Future Problem Solving Team is off to the World Competition, representing New Zealand for the 3rdconsecutive year in 2011.They came 1st in the World for the team event last year and placed 2nd this year.At the competition students work in teams, applying a six step process tackling the problem or challenge presented to them.These issues contain complex social and scientific problems to be faced in the future and must be worked through at speed.The ideas also have to be presented dramatically.The topic for this next year’s event is Emergency Planning which is rather appropriate to the Christchurch based team."

Thanks very much for your interest rgds Kathryn Bowler
survivalkit@hotmail.com

calista, Feb 28, 6:12pm
When the water is back properly I intend storing eleventy hundred litres.
(Can you tell I'm down to my last 500ml?).A friend is delivering some in 2 hours time.I would even raid the cat's bowl but that's empty too.

crystalmoon, Feb 28, 10:32pm
Hi raewy64,what a great idea,I have tossed over this idea for yearsmyes i must put one together ect every year and still havnt done one.This is a very timely reminder for us all to get a few things together so I have finally started doing so.Great idea's on here.Thanks.

karenz, Mar 1, 1:01am
On ZB in Wellington today someone was talking about a dynamo radio and torch combination which could also recharge a cellphone, anyone know where you can get one of those.He mentioned a website and said that someone was inporting 200 of these into NZ.

duckmoon, Mar 1, 2:47am
or panty liners

elliehen, Mar 1, 2:54am
And a couple of emery boards for that inevitable broken nail??

sumstyle, Mar 1, 4:13am
Me personally, I will still go with the two litre milk containers for a couple of reasons.

They are regular household items (I had the neighbours bring me as many empties as they could for me to fill from the well at my sister's farm this week).

They are easy to carry (plenty of people had to queue and walk long distances with their water containers in Chc).

A little bit of odd tasting water that can be drunk immediately rather than water that needs to be boiled and cooled, then boiled again is a bonus, finally - if they taste is too offputting, use it for your washing your hands etc.

smileeah, Mar 1, 4:26am
Milk bottle stored water is def ok for washing etc and if that's all you've got to drink it is certainly better than nothing, but I think if you have a choice use a different type of container for sure.

ribzuba, Mar 1, 4:38am
if it is a big disaster and water is scarce then you may not want to brush your teeth because of that then if you burn a stick you can use the charred end to brush your teeth.

uli, Mar 1, 8:24am
Why go to that trouble when you can buy perfectly fine tinned NZ butter - which will keep for years.

calista, Mar 1, 6:12pm
When the water is back properly I intend storing eleventy hundred litres.
(Can you tell I'm down to my last 500ml!).A friend is delivering some in 2 hours time.I would even raid the cat's bowl but that's empty too.

smileeah, Mar 1, 10:19pm
But is it affordable?

crystalmoon, Mar 1, 10:32pm
Hi raewy64,what a great idea,I have tossed over this idea for yearsmyes i must put one together ect every year and still havnt done one.This is a very timely reminder for us all to get a few things together so I have finally started doing so.Great idea's on here.Thanks.

duckmoon, Mar 2, 2:47am
or panty liners

elliehen, Mar 2, 2:54am
And a couple of emery boards for that inevitable broken nail!

patxyz, Mar 2, 3:28am
Dairy intolerance
Cost
Availability in small town NZ
The chance to learn a new skill / something new

sumstyle, Mar 2, 4:13am
Me personally, I will still go with the two litre milk containers for a couple of reasons.

They are regular household items (I had the neighbours bring me as many empties as they could for me to fill from the well at my sister's farm this week).

They are easy to carry (plenty of people had to queue and walk long distances with their water containers in Chc).

A little bit of odd tasting water that can be drunk immediately rather than water that needs to be boiled and cooled, then boiled again is a bonus, finally - if they taste is too offputting, use it for your washing your hands etc.

smileeah, Mar 2, 4:26am
Milk bottle stored water is def ok for washing etc and if that's all you've got to drink it is certainly better than nothing, but I think if you have a choice use a different type of container for sure.

jaybee2003, Mar 2, 4:45am
Remember... what you load into your 60litre container, you need to be able to physically lift it, carry it, or move it! Watch the weight!
Well done you for being proactive!
:-)

pickles7, Mar 2, 9:05am
True, maybe milk bottles are not such a bad idea. easy to carry. kids can carry them, as against a 23 liter container, water is heavy.

elliehen, Mar 2, 9:22am
Post #34 ..perhaps email Kathryn Bowler.