Food for Survival Kit - suggestions please

Page 1 / 5
raewyn64, Feb 28, 1:11am
Hi there everyone.
Well today I purchased a 60 litre plastic container with wheels to start my survival kit because I don’t have one at present.
I have been to the Get Thru website and downloaded their suggestions on what to have in my kit but I would like to get ideas from those of you who have one on the food supplies side.I have the water and first aid kit sorted, along with toiletries etc but am not sure about my food side. The Get Thru site says non-perishable food – canned or dried. What do you have?I was thinking of tinned baked beans, spaghetti, sweetcorn. Cup a soups. Sachet refresh drink incase water after boiling still has an aftertaste and is not to tasty to drink by itself. I am going to store my kit in the garage as my house is old and that way if it was to crumble down then I would hopefully have spare food in a different location and not rely on my kitchen. I was thinking also of keeping some flour in my freezer which is outside and maybe some baking powder and milk powder so I could make things like sweetcorn fritters on a BBQ.Would keeping things like baking powder and powdered milk in a vacuum sealed bag help keep it better than just in its original packaging?Also the same question for museli bars & cracker biscuits – would they keep longer in a vac bag? (I must remember to keep a pair of scissors in the container to cut the bags!).I don’t have children so don’t need baby foods etc. I have a vege garden and also my freezer but we never know what might be available or not in an emergency.
Please share what you have for myself and everyone else who is thinking of these things at this time.
I would appreciate it if we could just share ideas on this thread and not pass comment on nutritional values, health values etc etc on what people are suggesting unless a suggestion is really dangerous.
Thanks so much and my thoughts to those in Christchurch at this time – may we learn from what you are unfortunately having to go through now.

raewyn64, Feb 28, 1:11am
Hi there everyone.
Well today I purchased a 60 litre plastic container with wheels to start my survival kit because I don’t have one at present.
I have been to the Get Thru website and downloaded their suggestions on what to have in my kit but I would like to get ideas from those of you who have one on the food supplies side.I have the water and first aid kit sorted, along with toiletries etc but am not sure about my food side. The Get Thru site says non-perishable food – canned or dried. What do you have!I was thinking of tinned baked beans, spaghetti, sweetcorn. Cup a soups. Sachet refresh drink incase water after boiling still has an aftertaste and is not to tasty to drink by itself. I am going to store my kit in the garage as my house is old and that way if it was to crumble down then I would hopefully have spare food in a different location and not rely on my kitchen. I was thinking also of keeping some flour in my freezer which is outside and maybe some baking powder and milk powder so I could make things like sweetcorn fritters on a BBQ.Would keeping things like baking powder and powdered milk in a vacuum sealed bag help keep it better than just in its original packaging!Also the same question for museli bars & cracker biscuits – would they keep longer in a vac bag! (I must remember to keep a pair of scissors in the container to cut the bags!).I don’t have children so don’t need baby foods etc. I have a vege garden and also my freezer but we never know what might be available or not in an emergency.
Please share what you have for myself and everyone else who is thinking of these things at this time.
I would appreciate it if we could just share ideas on this thread and not pass comment on nutritional values, health values etc etc on what people are suggesting unless a suggestion is really dangerous.
Thanks so much and my thoughts to those in Christchurch at this time – may we learn from what you are unfortunately having to go through now.

tarshlove, Feb 28, 1:23am
Tinned fruit, Maybe flour and sugar in a vacuum packed bag. Salt as this is good if you need to make up a saline solution or added to boil stuff. Don't forget a can opener lol I hate forgetting that when we go camping.

tarshlove, Feb 28, 1:23am
Tinned fruit, Maybe flour and sugar in a vacuum packed bag. Salt as this is good if you need to make up a saline solution or added to boil stuff. Don't forget a can opener lol I hate forgetting that when we go camping.

245sam, Feb 28, 1:36am
raewyn64, as far as exactly what food items to have in your survival stores - I note that the advice from the Civil Defence man who appeared on Good Morning today was that the actual foods to have on hand are dependent on what the individual(s) like and are used to eating.
A bit of advice that I can offer is re the tear-tab cans i.e. those that don't require a can opener.....On 04 September when our well-stocked cupboard emptied on to the floor, it was that type of can that once squashed, simply split open and spilt its contents all over the floor and was therefore wasted - my advice is to have the conventional type can AND a reliable can opener.
Another IMO essential item is a vacuum flask.
We have a hooded barbecue plus a good old Kiwi barbecue and that latter barbecue is set up just outside our backdoor along with the whistling kettle from our caravan (our indoor kettle is one of the automatic turn off type) so we are doing the as-advised boiling of water (usual advice is to boil for 5 minutes - not possible with many modern kettles) then putting any that's not needed immediately into the flask - it saves gas and for those who unlike ourselves do not have power, it means that hot water is to hand whenever needed.

Hope these few thoughts help, and if I think of anymore of significance I'll add them as and when they come to mind.:-))

245sam, Feb 28, 1:36am
raewyn64, as far as exactly what food items to have in your survival stores - I note that the advice from the Civil Defence man who appeared on Good Morning today was that the actual foods to have on hand are dependent on what the individual(s) like and are used to eating.
A bit of advice that I can offer is re the tear-tab cans i.e. those that don't require a can opener.On 04 September when our well-stocked cupboard emptied on to the floor, it was that type of can that once squashed, simply split open and spilt its contents all over the floor and was therefore wasted - my advice is to have the conventional type can AND a reliable can opener.
Another IMO essential item is a vacuum flask.
We have a hooded barbecue plus a good old Kiwi barbecue and that latter barbecue is set up just outside our backdoor along with the whistling kettle from our caravan (our indoor kettle is one of the automatic turn off type) so we are doing the as-advised boiling of water (usual advice is to boil for 5 minutes - not possible with many modern kettles) then putting any that's not needed immediately into the flask - it saves gas and for those who unlike ourselves do not have power, it means that hot water is to hand whenever needed.

Hope these few thoughts help, and if I think of anymore of significance I'll add them as and when they come to mind.:-))

jessie981, Feb 28, 1:36am
Think of tin foods that are ok to eat cold Wet ones, bleach, hand santiser, bucket with lid, plastic bags (for toiletting), thermos, smaller water containersas you may ot beable to move a big one, transistor, torch. Sorry went off the food title.

cookessentials, Feb 28, 2:06am
sanitary products, wet wipes, torch, spare batteries, first aid kit containing bandages, scissors, plasters, survival blanket and enough of any of your medications to last a week or so...with these, refresh them regularly if they have a shelf life, panadol, rescue remedy, antiseptic creams and tinctures etc. A note book with personal details inside such as family doctors name and number as well as your dentist ( for dental records) next of kins names and contact details and any medical conditions you may have. Wet weather gear ( even if it is a poncho with hood or a shower type jacket with hood.
As for Food etc...a container for water ( not too large as when it's full they are very heavy) water tablets ( You can get from sport/hiking stores..they are good for treating dirty water) http://www.stoneycreekshop.co.nz/water-treatment/lifesystems-iodine-drinking-water-tablets-75-tablets.htmltinned tuna and salmon, rice, chocolate, dried fruits and nuts ( again, continuoulsy replace them ( use them at home before best before date and replace) powdered or UHT milk, porridge...sachets are handy.Any other canned food you like such as soups. If you can get yourself a reflective sleeveless jacket ( handy to wear after such an event as last week, making you highly visable, especially at night. A bucket, with lid for toilet if required. Spare plastic bags or bin liners ( make a good rain attire in an emergency..just cut a hole for your head and arms) a good pocket knife ( Swiss Army knife is ideal as it has a heap of various tools that could come in handy. A small camp stove and saucepan.

cookessentials, Feb 28, 2:06am
sanitary products, wet wipes, torch, spare batteries, first aid kit containing bandages, scissors, plasters, survival blanket and enough of any of your medications to last a week or so.with these, refresh them regularly if they have a shelf life, panadol, rescue remedy, antiseptic creams and tinctures etc. A note book with personal details inside such as family doctors name and number as well as your dentist ( for dental records) next of kins names and contact details and any medical conditions you may have. Wet weather gear ( even if it is a poncho with hood or a shower type jacket with hood.
As for Food etc.a container for water ( not too large as when it's full they are very heavy) water tablets ( You can get from sport/hiking stores.they are good for treating dirty water) http://www.stoneycreekshop.co.nz/water-treatment/lifesystems-iodine-drinking-water-tablets-75-tablets.htmltinned tuna and salmon, rice, chocolate, dried fruits and nuts ( again, continuoulsy replace them ( use them at home before best before date and replace) powdered or UHT milk, porridge.sachets are handy.Any other canned food you like such as soups. If you can get yourself a reflective sleeveless jacket ( handy to wear after such an event as last week, making you highly visable, especially at night. A bucket, with lid for toilet if required. Spare plastic bags or bin liners ( make a good rain attire in an emergency.just cut a hole for your head and arms) a good pocket knife ( Swiss Army knife is ideal as it has a heap of various tools that could come in handy. A small camp stove and saucepan.

raewyn64, Feb 28, 2:07am
excellent thanks people - that has added some items to my list already.245sam thank you so much for sharing your first hand knowledge. That is really interesting to know about the tear-tab cans as I would have probably gone for those as easier to get into.

elliehen, Feb 28, 2:08am
It's all helpful jessie981.I think those 'extras' are harder to remember than the food items.Someone interviewed on radio this morning said that she was desperate for clean knickers!

elliehen, Feb 28, 2:08am
It's all helpful jessie981.I think those 'extras' are harder to remember than the food items.Someone interviewed on radio this morning said that she was desperate for clean knickers!

cantab29, Feb 28, 2:17am
Assuming you have a gas top and pot you can cook in...good sized bag of rice and or pasta, tinned fruit in fruit juice so you can also drink the juice for hydration, spaghetti, creamed rice, the masterfood type packs (sachets).Packets or tins of soup. Tinned tuna and salmon.Salt.Muesli bars.COFFEE (if you drink lots and get blinding headaches without it).Pain relief (pamol, nurofen etc).Hand sanitiser and dettol.Loo paper.
Check your stocks and rotate out every six months so they don't expire.Replace your water at the same time so its not stale.

cantab29, Feb 28, 2:17am
Assuming you have a gas top and pot you can cook in.good sized bag of rice and or pasta, tinned fruit in fruit juice so you can also drink the juice for hydration, spaghetti, creamed rice, the masterfood type packs (sachets).Packets or tins of soup. Tinned tuna and salmon.Salt.Muesli bars.COFFEE (if you drink lots and get blinding headaches without it).Pain relief (pamol, nurofen etc).Hand sanitiser and dettol.Loo paper.
Check your stocks and rotate out every six months so they don't expire.Replace your water at the same time so its not stale.

cantab29, Feb 28, 2:25am
Oh, and some things I found out with the last one
- keep your mobile charged at all times and some credit on it if prepaid
- know how to open your garage door without power
- always keep a spare key outside somewhere
- add some cash to your emergency kit
- having a neighbourhood support group before a disaster is a godsend
- have a mini emergency kit (torches and water) near your kids bedrooms as thats where you go if something strikes at night
- get a mini set of screwdrivers for opening remotes, toys etc.You'll be amazed how many batteries you actually have in the house
- dynamo wind up torches/radios that don't need batteries are great

cantab29, Feb 28, 2:25am
Oh, and some things I found out with the last one
- keep your mobile charged at all times and some credit on it if prepaid
- know how to open your garage door without power
- always keep a spare key outside somewhere
- add some cash to your emergency kit
- having a neighbourhood support group before a disaster is a godsend
- have a mini emergency kit (torches and water) near your kids bedrooms as thats where you go if something strikes at night
- get a mini set of screwdrivers for opening remotes, toys etc.You'll be amazed how many batteries you actually have in the house
- dynamo wind up torches/radios that don't need batteries are great

sue1955, Feb 28, 2:40am
Just picking up on the 'clean knickers' - a friend who did her OE kept a supply of panty liners as she never knew when she was going to be able to do her washing. (Sorry to get off the food topic).

sue1955, Feb 28, 2:40am
Just picking up on the 'clean knickers' - a friend who did her OE kept a supply of panty liners as she never knew when she was going to be able to do her washing. (Sorry to get off the food topic).

sumstyle, Feb 28, 2:51am
My vege garden suffered from the liquifaction, so don't rely solely on getting veges from that source.(Council say not to eat any veges cos they can be contaminated by sewage mixing with the ground water that come up).Sigh.

Another thing I have noticed this time around - I did two runs out to my sister's farm to get water from their well for my neighbours, and a 20 litre container of water is nigh on impossible for a regular strapping man to carry.So if you have to queue for water, and thus then transport water some way back to your car, you could well be in a pickle.

sumstyle, Feb 28, 2:51am
My vege garden suffered from the liquifaction, so don't rely solely on getting veges from that source.(Council say not to eat any veges cos they can be contaminated by sewage mixing with the ground water that come up).Sigh.

Another thing I have noticed this time around - I did two runs out to my sister's farm to get water from their well for my neighbours, and a 20 litre container of water is nigh on impossible for a regular strapping man to carry.So if you have to queue for water, and thus then transport water some way back to your car, you could well be in a pickle.

elliehen, Feb 28, 2:53am
Someone suggested elsewhere in Recipes that, if you have a freezer large enough,you keep frozen water in Just Juice cartons at the base of your freezer.

raewyn64, Feb 28, 2:59am
you people are aawesome with your suggestions - and thanks so much to all of you first hand experience people for taking the time from all the nighmare things you have to do at present to share you knowledge with us. And hey everyone if you want to share other "non-food" ideas then the more the merrier to help us all :)

karenz, Feb 28, 3:11am
I don't live in Christchurch but I do work in Wellington, I have a backpack which I keep in the car with change of clothes, socks and walking shoes, jacket, lightweight waterproof poncho, basic toiletries, panadols, hand sanitiser, baby wipes, dynamo torch, transistor, matches, can opener, folding scout type cutlery, museli bars, water, small tarpaulin, dust mask and sturdy gloves.If I had kids living at home I would have a backpack for each child with a scaled down version in each one in reach of their bed.

karenz, Feb 28, 3:11am
I don't live in Christchurch but I do work in Wellington, I have a backpack which I keep in the car with change of clothes, socks and walking shoes, jacket, lightweight waterproof poncho, basic toiletries, panadols, hand sanitiser, baby wipes, dynamo torch, transistor, matches, can opener, folding scout type cutlery, museli bars, water, small tarpaulin, dust mask and sturdy gloves.If I had kids living at home I would have a backpack for each child with a scaled down version in each one in reach of their bed.

elliehen, Feb 28, 3:14am
karenz, your mention of 'walking shoes' makes me wonder how many women wear high-heeled shoes to work in their high-rise buildings...