Please help - suggestions for dessert,

carobobo, Apr 2, 4:48am
non-baked, expensive ingredients ok, something with a bit of wow factor.Am out of ideas.I would love some ideas.

pickles7, Apr 2, 5:26am
Blackberry cobbler.

Put 25 grams of butter into an oven proof dish, melt in the oven.
Put into a basin
1 cup self raising flour
3/4 cup of sugar
1 cup of whole milk
Mix into a smooth batter
Pour the batter into the dish, sprinkle over about 2 cups of berries, sprinkle over a little sugar, and put 6 knobs of butter on top.
Bake 45 minutes at 175-180 deg C
It was a nice way of using up my crop of blackberries
I have made this using a can of peaches, I put the peaches with the juice in the dish then the batter, knobs of butter on top. no extra sugar. was just as nice.

carobobo, Apr 2, 5:38am
Will be definitely making this in the future, sounds yum thanks.
But on this occassion I am after something that doesn't require the oven.

davidt4, Apr 2, 5:41am
Raspberry Possets are one of my favorites.They need to be made at least 4 hours ahead, and overnight is fine.They are very easy to make.You can use other berries such as blackberries, but the raspberry colour is the prettiest.

http://www.lowcarbcooking.co.nz/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=188:raspberry-possets&catid=41:desserts&Itemid=55

elliehen, Apr 2, 5:48am
I don't know how big the 'WOW' is that you're looking for...but this, when well-presented, is usually well-received.

AMBROSIA - FOOD OF THE GODS
Ingredients
500mls whipped cream
1 litre of berry yoghurt
1 large tin of black doris plums or any berries you like
I bag marshmallows, mini, or chopped or whole
a few meringues, roughly broken up

Method
In a large bowl whip the cream until thick, add the yoghurt and drained fruit(if using plums remove the stones and break up a little) then add the marshmallows.Fold in all the ingredients together and chill for a couple of hours.Gently fold in broken meringues before serving.

Serve either in the bowl or you can spoon it into wine or martini glasses and top with grated dark chocolate.

This is one of many variation on the Ambrosia theme.

jessie981, Apr 2, 5:48am
Unbaked Banana Cream Mould Aunt Daisy)
Mash as many bananas up to 4. Beat in 1/2c sugar until dissolved. Add grated rind & juice of 1 lemon. Stir in slowly, 1 m cup milk. Add 1 dessertspoon geletine dissolved in a little hot water. Mix well. Pour into mould.

rosathemad, Apr 2, 5:53am
Homemade chocolate mousse often has wow factor - I made some a while back with brandy snap rounds, white and dark chocolate mousse and berries, it definitely had the wow factor and was well appreciated. Berries are beginning to become scarce but blueberries can still be got and for this sort of thing frozen raspberries (defrosted in advance) work fine. Recipe and photos are here: http://www.mrscake.co.nz/2010/09/white-and-dark-chocolate-mousse-in.html (the final photo isn't so flash, sorry)

There are lots of other things you can do in the same creamy trend - ambrosia, tiramisu, trifle. I think things made in individual glasses always look much fancier - or you could do something with meringue nests or chocolate cups. Actually, I saw a fantastic tip a while ago - half inflate some balloons, gently wash, dry and spray with non-stick spray. Dip the bottom half into melted chocolate and set on baking paper until the chocolate hardens. Pop the balloons and you'll have chocolate bowls. :-)

pickles7, Apr 2, 6:50am
on the mousse front, this is very nice, and very easy.

Avocado Chocolate Mousse
1/2 cup sugar or honey
1/2 cup warm water
2 medium sized avocados
1 tsp pure vanilla essence
1/2 cup good quality cocoa powder
1 Tablespoon of lemon juice.
Put all ingredients in a food processor & process to combine
refrigerate until required.

trading_gibsons, Apr 2, 6:53am
I was just thinking of this we used to make it in the eighties.

pickles7, Apr 2, 7:02am
Eaton mess

500ml double cream
2 tablespoons caster sugar
1 tsp vanilla essence
whipped until it reaches a soft peak , stage

6- 8 small meringues, crushed
a punnet of strawberries, sliced in half
fold the fruit and meringues into the cream, chill well

greyburn, Apr 2, 7:32am
chocolate log
1x packet chocolate chippy bickys soak in brandy or dry ginger ale
and stick together with cream , and then cream over the top
really yummy and easy , make an hour or so before so the bicyks soften
you can also use gingernut bickys !

carobobo, Apr 2, 11:02pm
Fantastic ideas thank you!!!!

pollypanner, Apr 2, 11:05pm
Fruit kababs, marshmellows,grapes, pinapple, :etc" very yummy

carobobo, Apr 3, 6:38am
Will be definitely making this in the future, sounds yum thanks.
But on this occassion I am after something that doesn't require the oven.

davidt4, Apr 3, 6:41am
Raspberry Possets are one of my favorites.They need to be made at least 4 hours ahead, and overnight is fine.They are very easy to make.You can use other berries such as blackberries, but the raspberry colour is the prettiest.

http://www.lowcarbcooking.co.nz/index.php!option=com_content&view=article&id=188:raspberry-possets&catid=41:desserts&Itemid=55

elliehen, Apr 3, 6:48am
I don't know how big the 'WOW' is that you're looking for.but this, when well-presented, is usually well-received.

AMBROSIA - FOOD OF THE GODS
Ingredients
500mls whipped cream
1 litre of berry yoghurt
1 large tin of black doris plums or any berries you like
I bag marshmallows, mini, or chopped or whole
a few meringues, roughly broken up

Method
In a large bowl whip the cream until thick, add the yoghurt and drained fruit(if using plums remove the stones and break up a little) then add the marshmallows.Fold in all the ingredients together and chill for a couple of hours.Gently fold in broken meringues before serving.

Serve either in a bowl or you can spoon it into wine or martini glasses and top with grated dark chocolate.

This is one of many variations on the Ambrosia theme.

rosathemad, Apr 3, 6:53am
Homemade chocolate mousse often has wow factor - I made some a while back with brandy snap rounds, white and dark chocolate mousse and berries, it definitely had the wow factor and was well appreciated. Berries are beginning to become scarce but blueberries can still be got and for this sort of thing frozen raspberries (defrosted in advance) work fine. Recipe and photos are here: http://www.mrscake.co.nz/2010/09/white-and-dark-chocolate-mousse-in.html (the final photo isn't so flash, sorry)

There are lots of other things you can do in the same creamy trend - ambrosia, tiramisu, trifle. I think things made in individual glasses always look much fancier - or you could do something with meringue nests or chocolate cups. Actually, I saw a fantastic tip a while ago - half inflate some balloons, gently wash, dry and spray with non-stick spray. Dip the bottom half into melted chocolate and set on baking paper until the chocolate hardens. Pop the balloons and you'll have chocolate bowls. :-)

pickles7, Apr 3, 8:02am
Eaton mess

500ml double cream
2 tablespoons caster sugar
1 tsp vanilla essence
whipped until it reaches a soft peak , stage

6- 8 small meringues, crushed
2 punnets of strawberries, sliced in half
fold the fruit and meringues into the cream, chill well

carobobo, Apr 3, 11:02pm
Fantastic ideas thank you!