Christmas suggestions for Salad to go with Salmon?

kiwiactrss, Dec 13, 10:40pm
I am serving a Hot Smoked Salmon and a Ham for a cold Christmas luncheon.What would you suggest to go with these?We are just a little family of four so wanting something easy and transportable. I am taking everything to Mum and Dad's apartment in a retirement village so need stuff that travels well.Was thinking of a potato/egg salad and maybe another with avocado - just wondering what would go well with the strong flavours of salmon?Any ideas are GRATEFULLY accepted.......

davidt4, Dec 13, 10:54pm
A tomato salad is good with salmon as the acidity balances out the richness of the salmon.There is a new variety of tomato called Campari, and they are firm and well flavoured.Countdown sells them, also Fruit World.

I like a dressing made with extra virgin olive oil, red wine vinegar, chopped tarragon and chives, salt and pepper.It will transport well and will not deteriorate over several hours.If you don't use tarragon you could instead take separately some washed leaves of sweet basil and add them just before serving.

valentino, Dec 13, 11:16pm
Another salad that really goes well with Salmon is a Japanese Spinach salad using baby spinach leaves and leaving out the daikon and sesame seed.

The dressing can be made up leave just prior to serving before mixing into salad.

kiwiactrss, Dec 14, 9:37pm
Thanks so much for the responses already :)getting some good ideas - everything looks so nice but trying to decide exactly what to make for four people is tricky!

judz46, Dec 14, 9:45pm
I do an egg salad which goes down well...chop hard boiled eggs and add mayonnaise mixed with curry powder to your taste - add spring onions, celery, parsley -yummmm and so easy - you could add the dressing when you get there.

jubellsrose, Dec 15, 12:02am
I find couscous flavoured with grated lemon rind and a squeeze of lemon juice goes well with fresh salmon.

suzanna, Dec 15, 2:21am
Mmm salmon. If you wish to take Judz46 suggestion a step further then leave out the curry powder and spread the egg mix over a tinfoil lined base of a springform caketin. Using a sheet of paper for a straight edge place on top down the middle of the circle creating two halves. Spread one half with red caviar, lift paper and spread the other half with black caviar but not too thickly. Cover with tinfoil and refridgerate. Easy to transport to venue, remove tinfoil, pop the springform and serve on the base. Looks fabulous, dead easy and perfect to accompany the salmon with beautiful jersey bennies. Enjoy.

kiwiactrss, Dec 15, 8:23pm
Gosh thanks everyone ! yum getting hungry now

dezzie, Nov 1, 2:56pm
I think cucumber and rock melon salad would be lovely with smoked salmon.
Peel one long cucumber and cut into 1/4's longways, remove the seeds and dice into chunks.
Slice the melon (or half for your small family) remove flesh from the skin and the seeds and cut into the same size chunks as the cucumber and mix them together.
Its best made a few hours before so the melon juice gets into the cucumber, but it is very nice.