Hamper suggestions please?

dna187, Dec 21, 4:44am
ok i have to make 3 hampers up, have made 3 xmas cakes,
zillions of fruit mince pies and double zilliions of various truffles.
Was going to throw in a box of mixed crackers from the shop.
Any other suggestions that i can buy relatively cheaply
or i can make, simple things that wont melt, or turn or anything.lol

gardie, Dec 21, 4:48am
Your hampers sound devine just as they are.Another thing you could make is biscotti - I'll go search the link and bump it for you.My tip would be when you first make the logs, make them quite long so that when they are cut, the peices aren't so big.These keep beautifully - you can dip them into melted chocolate to add a bit of luxury so they are half dipped,half plain.(I just put orange flavoured cranberries and whole almonds cos thats what I had in the cupboard - added a spash of contreau to intensify the orange flavour).

cgvl, Dec 21, 4:48am
plunger coffee, nice tea, bottle of bubbles or sparkling grape juice,
a nice cheese if you think it will keep or a voucher to buy cheese or pate or both or buy them at last minute

dna187, Dec 21, 4:52am
oh yes the sparkling grape juice. thanks, will try the biscotti,
is it easy cos i cant afford for it to go wrong, either way. lol.
I have only couple of days before the first hamper is delivered on friday. eeeek. didnt really want to do any more sweet, so maybe biscotti.thanks gardie. i thought of a pate, can you still buy them in tins or whatever, will they keep.

510, Dec 21, 4:57am
Home made strawberry jam, lemon curd,Xmas shaped short bread.

gardie, Dec 21, 5:46am
Very, very easy.just mix everything together, shape into a log and put on baking paper then cook, I think you cool it slightly then cut into cm slices and recook them.I stood them up to cook and they were lovely and crunchy.I stored them in the freezer and they came out well.

dna187, Dec 21, 9:12am
oh i forgot i made shortbread cookies as well,

dna187, Dec 22, 2:53am
hey gardie, thanks so much for the biscotti idea, made some this morning, hoping and praying they would work out. Oh my god, they are fabulous, easy peasy, taste good, amazing, and what a great cheap easy thing to do for a hamper. thankyou, im over baking for hampers for this year, lol.

gardie, Dec 22, 9:11am
Great success dna.I have just made a batch for son in law, cranberries, white chocolate and almond with a touch of feijoa vodka.Had to sample them of course - delish.Was going to make some apricot and almond - using whole almonds and almond essence but don't have anhy apricots.Trying to stay away from the shops!Will have to put my thinking hat on.

unknowndisorder, Dec 22, 5:47pm
So, around wht time will my hamper be arriving ?
Sounds lovely dna, I'm sure the recipients will be stoked with how much time and effort you've put in :)

dna187, Dec 22, 6:54pm
hi unknowdisorder, huh, you want one? let me see, yes i might just have enough for another hamper, have made millions of truffles,
zilliions of fruit mince pies, ill throw in the grape juice, what sort would you like red/white/ and do you want some crackers as well?lol

kiwitrish, Dec 22, 7:45pm
They sound lovely.Do you have the recipe please?

dna187, Dec 22, 7:56pm
kiwitrish, this is it.
biscotti:
2 cups flour
1 tsp Baking powder
1 cup castor sugar
1 tsp vanilla
3 eggs slightly beaten
Sift into bowl ,add choc chips or whatever.
spices, etc
Mix together, add beaten eggs, should be dry mix.
Shape into 2 logs. Put in oven. bake 180 C 30 mins
remove from oven, let stand 15-20 mins.
slice into piece 1cm thick.
place back on tray standing up.
reduce heat to 150deg C 25mins till golden.

kiwitrish, Dec 5, 6:42am
Just got home from work. Thank you for the recipe, will give it a try.