Dessert Suggestions to go with...

fee1965, Feb 16, 2:27am
I am going to a dinner party and I have to provide dessert - 7 adults.The host is making homemade ice cream, so what can I take to either accompany or contribute towards... want a WOW factor dessert, am a very capable cook, just short on ideas

auntlb, Feb 16, 2:34am
Caramel apple dumplings are yummy with ice cream

fee1965, Feb 16, 2:37am
Tell me more.... recipe?

auntlb, Feb 16, 2:39am
Sure - just take a min or two to find!Be back soon

fee1965, Feb 16, 2:43am
I could do an old fashioned apple pie - anyone got a great recipe???

ant_sonja, Feb 16, 2:44am
Hi fee1965 - how about a fresh fruit tart to go with the home made ice cream? Here's a link to a recipe that is pretty simple and looks fantastic!
http://www.nibbledish.com/people/monica/recipes/fruit-tart

auntlb, Feb 16, 2:45am
Oven to 180C
Mix together
2 c self raising flour
2 Tblspn sugar
cut through 100gm butter until it resembles breadcrumbs (I use blender for a quick job)
Add 4 Tblspn of cold water a little bit at a time until you create a stiff dough.

Peel, core and quarter 3-5 apples.Wrap each apple segment up in a piece of the dough (just enough to cover apple all over)
Place in oven proof dish.
Make sauce
2oz butter
2 c brown sugar
2 Tblspn golden syrup
1c water
Heat sauce slowly until it reaches boiling point.Simmer for 5 mins then gently pour over apple dumplings.Bake for 25-30mins until golden

lx4000, Feb 16, 3:01am

lx4000, Feb 16, 3:11am
how about waffles or pancakes and fresh fruitswith a fruit puree to drizzle over or have a choice they could pour over!!
Would go good with ice cream!

rarogal, Feb 16, 3:11am
Try this one - a real favourite with the men, very old-fashioned, been making it for 40 years and still get comments!!

Swiss Apple Torte

Qtr. cup soft butter
l cup sugar
l egg
l cup self raising flour
half teaspoon baking powder
half teaspoon nutmeg and ginger
Qtr. teaspoon baking soda
half teaspoon salt and ground cloves
Three tart cooking apples, cored, peeled and cut into slices
Vanilla Ice-cream and or Whipped cream

In a large bowl cream butter sugar add egg and beat until light and fluffy.Sift in flour and the next four ingredients (spices etc) beat thoroughly.Gently stir in apple slices until all seem to be covered in batter, turn into buttered tin, (9" loose bottom), or I use a ring tin. spread evenly.Bake one hour at 175C..Serve warm and top with heaps of fattening ice-cream and whipped cream.Yum.

tarshlove, Feb 16, 3:16am
Some fresh berries or a sorbet of some sort

motorbo, Feb 16, 3:23am
a tart tartin (SP) would be awesome!

lx4000, Feb 16, 3:49am
how about pineapple upside down pudding. Always looks great!

rkcroft, Feb 16, 4:24am
I would do an apple crumble tart.Nice shortcrust base with cinnamon apples and a nutty crumble topping.Would go perfectly with icecream.Do you know what flavour the ice cream is?Otherwise a sticky date cake with caramel sauce on the side or a lemon/lime tart, or bakewell tart.

tinyted, Feb 16, 4:29am
A fresh citrus (lemon) tart would be a simple but elegant delicious dessert and a light finish to any meal.Enjoyed by both men and woman.

cookessentials, Feb 16, 6:16am
Have bumped the DESSERTS thread for you.

summersunnz, 22 hours, 19 minutes
I like the way you think - they're my kind of desserts :-)