Raw salmon marinate!?

allurs, Dec 23, 5:11am
Does anyone have one? I wan to marinate it to eat it raw on xmas day !thanks

uli, Dec 23, 5:13am
Sorry - but a bit late!
Try again next year :)

rainrain1, Dec 23, 5:41am
Someone gave me this the other day
I used gurnard and it was really nice, so don't know what it would be like with salmon, but worth a try I would think.

Chop fish into bite size pieces, Chop 1 onion into quarters. Place both in bowl or jar and cover with cheap white wine and lemon...Taste! You don't want it too lemony or too much wine flavour.
After 24 hours, drain, and remove onion.
Cover with a mixture of whipped cream, fine chopped onion, mayonnaise and tomato sauce to colour, pinch of ceyenne, squeeze of lemon juice.Stir gently to combine

rainrain1, Dec 23, 5:43am
Man you're a toey model

rossco51, Dec 23, 5:46am
Hi dose any one have a recipe for a trifle please many thanks.

rainrain1, Dec 23, 5:51am
wish I could help but i don't do trifle...type trifle into box on left and you should find something scrumptious in there

allurs, Dec 23, 5:55am
what u mean?

olwen, Dec 23, 6:10am
Good things take time, but you could possibly get by.

I use sugar, salt and lime juice.Use dill if you like it. Try putting it in in thefridge in a ziplock bag with the air removed and turning every few hours.When the flesh is firm you can slice it thinly.

allurs, Dec 23, 6:14am
awesome ! ok, silly question but my salmon is 1.1kg, so how much of each should I put on it?
Sorry i'm a baker not a cooker lol
thanks

cookessentials, Dec 23, 6:18am
I take it you want to make gravalax? It needs to be "marinated for two to three days.

2 sides fresh salmon

⅓ cup sea salt flakes

¼ cup white sugar

1 bunch dill, roughly chopped

1 tbsp white peppercorns, crushed

300g sour cream

1 tbsp horseradish cream

1 tbsp lemon juice

salt and white pepper, to taste

1 red onion, thinly sliced, to serve

baby capers, to serve

mini bagels, to serve

lime (or lemon) wedges, to serve

Put sides of salmon, skin side down, on a flat surface. Remove all bones with fish tweezers. Combine salt flakes, sugar, dill and peppercorns in a bowl. Rub salt mixture into salmon.

Put one side of salmon in a large shallow ceramic dish, skin side down. Put second side of salmon on top of first side of salmon, skin side up. Cover with plastic wrap and a large plate. Weigh plate down with tin cans. Refrigerate for 24 hours.
Remove salmon from fridge, take 
off plate and plastic wrap and drain 
liquid. Cover dish with new plastic wrap. Return to fridge for 2–3 days, turning every 12 hours.

To make horseradish cream, combine sour cream, horseradish cream and lemon juice in a bowl. Season with salt and white pepper.
Serve salmon on a large platter with horseradish cream, onion slices, capers, bagels and lime wedges

olwen, Dec 23, 6:18am
Enough that is is all covered generously.As it is on the outside the salmon will use what it needs.

suzanna, Dec 23, 12:11pm
Have to agree with Uli as you need a few days to do the salmon justice in order to end up with sensational gravalax. I have experimented for years with various recipes as gravalax is one of my all time favourite foods and the recipe that does it for me is as follows:
1kg salmon
3 tbspns coarse salt
3 tbspns brown sugar
3 tbspns ground black pepper
1 bunch fresh dill
vodka

Make sure that you have all the pin bones out...take the time to do this well as it's important.
Lay a sheet of gladwrap across the bottom of a dish (big enough to fit the salmon 'snuggly') with enough overhang to enable you to wrap the salmon entirely.
Place salmon skin side down.
Mix first three ingreds and sprinkle over the fillet.
Lay the dill over and pour vodka over the whole lot.
Place the other piece of salmon on top and fold gladwrap over.
Cover with a plate and a couple of cans to act as a weight.
12-36 hours turning the salmon every 12 hours.
Rinse the salmon, pat dry and slice very thinly.
MMmmmm delicious.

The last salmon I did was whilst I was in Queenstown and I bought salmon which had been deboned...never come across this before but I'm sold as made the job so much easier.

prawn_whiskas, Dec 9, 4:07pm
Jamie Oliver did a lovely looking one on t.v the other night.. but yes, minimum of 36 hours curing with Jamies one so I would say if you're wanting Gravalax you will have to try it another time. Not enough time now this year. Maybe give it a go for New Years lunch.