Fresh Salmon

raffella, Feb 28, 5:46am
My fisherman has caught a salmon today.We usually smoke them but I want to try salmon steaks.Do I just cut a portion and pan fry?Any hints?Many thanks.

uli, Feb 28, 8:22am
Wow we have salmon in our rivers in the South island ... I didn't know that - always thought it is trout?

papariccardo, Feb 28, 8:26am
Yeah, pan fry is fine, lightly cover in flour & S&P first. Best of all, try oven bake, wrapped in foil. I usually put a hint of ginger, soy, garlic, sesame oil, a pinch of sugar & S&P on before I start, let it all melt in. Very little is needed. Also works great on the BBQ.

SI Salmon is great stuff, peeps from the USA pay fortunes to fish there - as does the Telecom CEO.

mamaa, Feb 28, 9:17am
I just rub a bit of salt and oliver oil onto the skin side, and put the salmon steak under the grill for about 5 minutes one side and 2 the other.Then I drizzle with a tiny bit of balsamic vinegar.Just beautiful...

stormbaby, Feb 28, 10:44am
We did this one on the BBQ last week, I don't eat salmon, but everyone at the BBQ raved about it. It was the first recipe I found when googling BBQ salmon in foil (hubby and I had a domestic as he said it has to be done in foil!)
Salmon (I used a huge 1/2 salmon gifted to me from a farm), lime, white wine, mayonaise, salt, onion, garlic powder, lemon peper, oregano, basil, paprika. Its 1/2 tsp of all the herbs and salt etc, and as much wine as you like.
Preheat grill, make a tray out of double thickness foil, dull side up. Place salmon skin side down, squeeze lime all over, and spread with mayonaise. Mix together everything else and sprinkle over the top. Devine.
I substituted the salt and a couple of other things with Smoked Spice Company salt I buy from the Riccarton market.

samanya, Mar 1, 1:20am
yes, we have both.
Salmon come into the rivers to spawn.
We have sea run trout as well.
How long have you lived in NZ?

fisher, Mar 1, 1:50am
Grilled Salmon Steaks
(a) Marinate salmon with ~lime / soy sauce / coriander/ chilli.
Cover and let marinate for 2-3 hrsBBQ medium rare.
{b} Combine olive oil with tarragon and a generous coarse grinding of black pepper.Brush salmon on both sides and grill.

elliehen, Mar 1, 1:57am
samanya, didn't some Canadian indigenous people's representatives come to New Zealand recently to take back some salmon spawn from a rare species introduced to NZ many years ago that they had lost - or almost lost?

iriegirl, Mar 1, 2:09am
Hi there, my fav salmon steaks is pop a couple on a plate, cover with the juice and zest of one orange, add a little fresh chopped dill or parsley if you have it, then cover with cling film and microwave for 3/4 minutes for 2 average sized steaks, meals in less than 5 mins! And it stays lovely and moist mmmmmm, want salmon for dinner now! Enjoy it!

raffella, Mar 1, 6:25am
Thank you all for the yummy suggestions.I drizzled with lime juice, then mayonnaise and a sprinkling of herby salt mixture similar to that Stormbaby has.Baked for a few minutes then grilled a little.The steaks easily peeled off the skin and were very tasty.Still plenty left to try something else too!

uli, Mar 1, 8:20am
Only 25 years ...

elliehen, Mar 1, 10:14am
But clearly not on the Mainland ;)

vintagekitty, Mar 1, 8:41pm
You can catch fresh salmon in our harbour

samanya, Mar 2, 1:20am
yes, we have both.
Salmon come into the rivers to spawn.
We have sea run trout as well.
How long have you lived in NZ!

elliehen, Mar 2, 1:57am
samanya, didn't some Canadian indigenous people's representatives come to New Zealand recently to take back some salmon spawn from a rare species introduced to NZ many years ago that they had lost - or almost lost!

uli, Mar 2, 8:20am
Only 25 years .