Fresh tuna

Page 1 / 2
farmers, Mar 14, 1:11am
please, any idea of easy ways to cook it?DF has been catching them lately and I've never cooked fresh tuna

davidt4, Mar 14, 2:33am
Season with salt and pepper.Sear it in olive oil over high heat very briefly so that it is barely warm in the centre - like a very rare steak.Rest on a warm plate while you grate some lemon or lime zest over, sprinkle with lemon or lime juice and some good quality olive oil..

farmers, Mar 14, 4:03am
awesome, thanks!We have a bit so any new recipies are cool

beaker59, Mar 14, 5:36am
Also try in raw fish island style.

soak cubed tuna in lemon juice for a few hours in the fridge, then add chopped tomato onion and corriander (some people add chopped deseeded fresh chilli) then coconut cream mmmmmmmmmmm delicious.

farmers, Mar 14, 11:17pm
Not too sure I'd get the kids eating raw fish hehe

farmers, Mar 15, 1:11am
please, any idea of easy ways to cook it!DF has been catching them lately and I've never cooked fresh tuna

farmers, Mar 15, 1:13am
bump....just found out it's albacore tuna, apparently quite saught after so still looking for suggestions other than just cooking it as steak

ferita, Mar 15, 1:16am
I feed them to my dog
he loves them. They make great bait too

davidt4, Mar 15, 2:33am
Season with salt and pepper.Sear it in olive oil over high heat very briefly so that it is barely warm in the centre - like a very rare steak.Rest on a warm plate while you grate some lemon or lime zest over, sprinkle with lemon or lime juice and some good quality olive oil.

rainrain1, Mar 15, 5:27am
I always imagine fresh cooked tuna would taste oily and horrid.Can anyone explain what it might taste like? Compare to another fish perhaps...I'm just curious that's all

beaker59, Mar 15, 5:40am
Its been a while but closest I could describe it as is chicken breast.

rainrain1, Mar 15, 5:44am
really that's interesting, doesn't LOOK like it would taste like chicken breast.

beaker59, Mar 15, 7:12am
Well they do call Albacore the chicken of the sea.

goldgurl, Mar 15, 7:51pm
if it's super fresh I'd have it sashimi style...or hawaiian style done in a little sesame oil, chilli and kikoman sauce YUMMY!

Otherwise I like it done 'plain' like Davidt4 says, with a nice side salad.

rainrain1, Mar 15, 8:15pm
It sure doesn't taste like chicken out of a can....I'd love to try it fresh, but I have never seen it in fish shops down this way.Swap ya a tuna for a lamb!!!

kirinesha, Mar 15, 8:31pm
Fresh tuna is wonderful! No comparison with canned, and certainly not strong or oily. I like mine seasoned with olive oil, salt and smoked paprika and either BBQd or pan seared.

farmers, Mar 15, 10:29pm
Thanks everyone!They caught another 10 yesterday lol....

farmers, Mar 15, 11:17pm
Not too sure I'd get the kids eating raw fish hehe

rainrain1, Mar 15, 11:32pm
Oh well I shall just have to enjoy the 2 huge crays that were dropped off the other day nom nom

farmers, Mar 15, 11:40pm
Yummy!

beaker59, Mar 15, 11:43pm
So I assume you have eaten somealready what did you do with it and how did it come out?

goldgurl, Mar 15, 11:51pm
it freezes well to remember.It's all I ever bring back from the Islands when I go over :)

farmers, Mar 16, 1:13am
bump.just found out it's albacore tuna, apparently quite saught after so still looking for suggestions other than just cooking it as steak

fisher, Mar 16, 1:45am
Tuna on Bacon and Potato
Chunky bacon...2 small red onions..extra virgin olive oil..baby spuds, skin on..chives..red wine vinegar..aioli..
Pre boil the potatoes until nice and just tender slice into chunky pieces and set aside... To a hot frypan add some extra virgin olive oil..
Add the finely diced red onions and sauté for a few minutes and then add the chunky bacon pieces... Add salt and fresh ground black pepper...
When the bacon is nicely browned, add the potato pieces and toss to heat through... Add 2 tbsp of red wine vinegar,taste test.. more salt and ground pepper. Add 2 - 3 tbsp of fresh chopped chives and mix through...
Coat your tuna steaks with olive oil and sprinkle with sea salt... Cook until nicely browned each side and pink in the middle..
Plate up bacon and potato mix and add tuna steak on top. Place one tbsp of aioli on top of each tuna steak...

fisher, Mar 16, 1:47am
Pan Fried Spiced Tuna ~ skin on..
Make a baste/sauce..
1/4 cup lime juice..2 tbsp vegetable oil.. 1/4 tsp ground ginger..1/4 cup soy sauce.. 1~2 garlic cloves, minced..
In a frypan, place butter and a drizzle of oil and lay your tuna steak skin side down..brush with the sauce mix
You will see the tuna cooking as the heat progresses and when it reaches 1/3 of the way up, turn it over..baste the other side with sauce mix...
Let cook till 1/3 way up and then pour in half the sauce mix...Let sauce heat up and baste a few times to coat well..rest a minute or two and serve hot.
Use the other half of the sauce mix to drizzle over top..should be pink inside the middle ...dont over cook