Blue Fin Tuna

tmcs1, Sep 6, 4:02am
Was wondering if anyone know where I can get some in Auckland? I know it's really expensive and hard to come by, but had some in Sydney last year and was delicious. I just need a small amount, maybe 200 grams.

tmcs1, Sep 6, 4:42am
Anyone, Please? I'd really like to get some for tonight but the shops are probably closing soon!

uli, Sep 6, 4:45am
I have never seen it in NZ and while it might taste great - quite frankly I hope you don't find any as both blue and yellow fin tuna are now critically endangered due to decades of overfishing.

http://www.bigmarinefish.com/bluefin.html

Why not try some of the smaller tuna fishwhich are still plentiful in the oceans like Skipjack or Albacore. They also taste very nice and are not over fished (yet).

tmcs1, Sep 6, 4:55am
I used to live in Japan and have tried most varieties. I understand that Blue fin is is short supply so haven't had it ages, although really want to get some for an authentic Sashimi! Sorry but Skipjack and Albacore just don't cut it. I would possibly use Big Eye though

uli, Sep 6, 5:53am
"In short supply" sounds much nicer than "we are eradicating this species". But yeah - I would simply use salmon myself - but of course it tastes different to tuna.

rainrain1, Sep 6, 6:15am
Do you know I have never tasted fresh cooked tuna....I can't even imagine what it's like as I don't like the colour of it.....is it worth a try or not?Can anyone describe the flavour compared to other fish?

valentino, Sep 6, 6:51am
Slivers of fresh Northern Blue Fin Tuna or most tunas should not be cooked, it is absolutely devine raw. Some other cuts are called "butterfly" which are also a very nice delight also eaten raw.
The flavour or taste is totally unique and one in reality would not compare it with anything else.

Generally, a nice freah tuna steak can be placed on a very hot grill and seared quickly for a few seconds each side and eaten straight away, this is really lovely as well.

And yes, it is now being over-fished.

Cheers.

rainrain1, Sep 6, 6:57am
Thanks valentino, I know it is eaten raw also, but it does not tempt my tastebuds, but then maybe after a few vinos :-)

valentino, Sep 6, 7:30am
When I tried my first ever piece, I had mixed thoughts but now, I would simply be first in line.

It is the old story, gotta be virtually straight out of the water - the fresher the better.

Cheers.

uli, Sep 6, 7:53am
valentino are you aware that all sushi grade tuna is frozen for at least 24 hours because of parasites?

valentino, Sep 6, 9:27am
I am aware of certain grades of Tuna.

My son used to deal with most Tuna fishing vessels and have tasted a number of various varieties.

It really comes down to where they are fished from and which tuna is best in being served in various ways.

Also places like Japan will only accept certain Tuna and pay huge money for it.

The ones that are frozen are of a low quality and are usually more parasite prone and like our meats such as lamb, beef etc are mainly served locally, all the very best stuff ends up overseas.

aktow, Sep 6, 10:58am
total bullshit. i'm not bloody Asian so i like my fish smoked or panfried. this crap salmonshould be under cooked is also crap. .. every one is different and if you like raw fish then thats great but dont tell us what fish should be,

beaker59, Sep 6, 11:35am
Fish should be red or blue or sometimes brownish they should have fins and white or pink flesh they are nice to eat raw or cooked. Running with scissors now :)

aktow, Sep 6, 3:38pm
every one has there on tastes, i cannot stand eating any raw fish except Fijian coconda,,i don't go around telling people what way they should eat fish,,i can eat raw beef and some people can only eat meat well done, my point to this is ,, i hate going to a restaurant and the menu says they only serve salmon or tuna rare,, or they will not cook any thing well done. when i ran a kitchen the customers were treated as valued people, i used to give them any thing in reason they wanted, like making omelettes even though they are not on the menu,,

aktow, Sep 6, 3:51pm
valentinoafter reading my comment it comes across as being harsh..my comment don't tell us what fish should be was not directed at you but in general,to the common belief the tuna should be eaten rare

rainrain1, Sep 6, 7:07pm
I have plenty of bullshit if you prefer that to tuna ;-)

Thanks Valentino for your reply :-)

valentino, Sep 6, 9:14pm
Hmmm, Nor am I an Asian, but I do love my fish done in many ways. In this thread we are discussing Blue Fin Tuna, please keep to this, and one gave those other thoughts in response to someone's query re tastes and naturally this is my personal opinion.

Please there is no need to add or state in such manner that you have. Best to give your own opinion or how you see it and leave it at that.

Most others do it and most are very great or interesting thoughts.

But will add another fish to try raw if one has the guts for it, the freshest Snapper placed on a vertical spike or two, descaled then with a very sharp knife cut of say about 2 cm square slivers of flesh and dip into a nice very light soy based dip and eat. (Not Salmon).

red2, Sep 6, 9:53pm
have you tried phoning the Auckland Seafood market ?

uli, Sep 6, 9:55pm
Wow we can have a little fight even without ferita and elliehen :)

accroul, Sep 6, 11:09pm
Lol.
Now, I've been wondering what sashimi tuna tastes like. Can you 'rawist's' describe it for me please.

davidt4, Sep 6, 11:34pm
Sashimi tuna tastes mild and sweet, not fishy at all.The texture is an important aspect - velvety and luscious if it's cut correctly.But rather than using tuna, try trevally or kingfish - they are delicious.

It goes without saying that the fish must be super-fresh.

illusion_, Sep 7, 4:40am
as with many raw fish, think fresh tasting (not "fishy" at all) with a super-tender meaty texture. Try it with an open mind and hopefully, like many before you, you will be very pleasantly surprised.

rainrain1, Sep 7, 5:20am
You won't get a fight out of me :-)

obviousas, Mar 5, 9:44am
Albany New World (Westfield) regularly has fresh tuna (probably the commoner yellow fin. About $35.00 kg. The Fishmarket in the America Cup village also stock tuna. There are also some charters who can take you out to catch your own for under $300. You will be real lucky to land one though.