I have fresh gherkins coming out my ears.....

Page 1 / 2
jennyl11, Jan 1, 2:04am
x1
will these taste just like the bought ones using these recipes! I am new to growing gherkins

jennyl11, Jan 1, 3:55am
I have picked my first gherkin will at least I think its one however the skin is rather pale not dark green and I have cut it open and tasted it but it tastes like cucumber is that how its supposed to taste! and if so why would the skin be so pale. (friend gave me a plant that was supposed to be a zucchini, which I planted next to the gherkins hence why I may be confused)

jennyl11, Jan 12, 4:11am
question re sealing using your method david4 how do you seal themand with what!

davidt4, Jan 12, 4:53am
I just put them into jars with screwtop lids.There's no need to go to any special lengths to seal them.

jennyl11, Jan 12, 5:17am
thanks do they keep for a long time!

blt10, Jan 15, 6:20am
Sorry divine' typo

uli, Jan 15, 9:44pm
They will not keep forever though - even in the fridge (which will slow them down) they will keep getting softer. So either eat them within 6 months - or "stop" the fermentation by placing them into a spiced vinegar and use the lovely lacto-ferment juice for drinks rather than discard it.

dragonlady65, Jan 15, 10:40pm
a progress report on my gherkins.I have done one batch of Davidt4 recipe and they were a favourite wiith my husband, eating a jar at a time lol. I have just done another recipe for sweet gherkin, which can be found on http:/www.thatsmyhome.com/general/sweet-gherkins.htm takes a few days but very yummy as they are without having sat yet. Nauru can you please post your recipe for gherkin relish, it sound yummy. thank you all.

wildflower, Jan 16, 2:48am
I didn't think my gherkins were really growing then I discovered one I'd missed and now it's rather large, too large for a gherkin:(

uli, Jan 17, 11:09pm
Go and eat it like a salad cucumber - whatever you would do with one. there is no difference really!

wil0, Jan 18, 2:16am
Thanks Davidt4 Thats great you don't have to cook them.I wrecked my oven last year when they boiled over Yuk.Thanks for that will try also, cheers

dragonlady65, Dec 29, 12:28am
does anyone have any nice recipes to use them up or any idea how to pickle them. I would be ever so grateful.

tjmc, Dec 29, 12:33am
I have just pickled mine - used a couple of sprigs of dill, about 5 garlic cloves, and once they are all in the jar, to every three cups of water add 2Tbs of kosher salt, and 3Tbs of white vinegar.
Leave on a windowsill for three days, shaking each day.

After that, store in a cool place, like the fridge...

goldgurl_design, Dec 29, 12:38am
Oooh...tjmc, that sounds sooo easy...are you saying you don't even have to cook them??

davidt4, Dec 29, 12:55am
You don't cook them, but you do have to brine them or they will not keep and won't have the right texture.Here's my method, which I have been using for about 30 years.You can use it with other veges too - cucumber, cauli, beans, asparagus.

Pickled Gherkins (or other veg)

approx 3 kg gherkins
200g plain salt (not iodised)

Wash gherkins.Put in a large bowl with the salt, add 1200 ml cold water, mix to dissolve salt.Leave at least 12 hours,up to 24 hours.

Drain and rinse in cold water.Pack tightly into jars,fill up jars with cold spiced vinegar, distributing the spices evenly.Seal and store for a few weeks before opening.

Spiced vinegar:

1200 ml vinegar - white wine or cider are best
2 sticks of cinnamon
1 tab black or white peppercorns
10 cloves
1 tab mustard seeds
1 tab celery seeds

Mix in a saucepan, simmer 10 minutes, cool.

dragonlady65, Dec 29, 1:23am
sounds good Davidt4. thank you.

dragonlady65, Dec 29, 1:24am
Can you cut them up as well, as some of mine have ground into giants.

davidt4, Dec 29, 2:49am
x1
Yes, gherkins are a kind of cucumber and you can use the overgrown ones in this pickle.

spaboy, Dec 30, 12:23am
that sounds a whole lot easier than the recipe I used, although it was for a sweet pickled gherkin.

jennyl11, Jan 1, 2:04am
will these taste just like the bought ones using these recipes? I am new to growing gherkins

davidt4, Jan 1, 2:30am
They will taste like very good very expensive bought ones.Not like the cheap ones, which are harsh and acidic.

cookessentials, Jan 1, 3:46am
I love gherkins and ours are just starting to come on.

jennyl11, Jan 1, 3:55am
I have picked my first gherkin will at least I think its one however the skin is rather pale not dark green and I have cut it open and tasted it but it tastes like cucumber is that how its supposed to taste? and if so why would the skin be so pale. (friend gave me a plant that was supposed to be a zucchini, which I planted next to the gherkins hence why I may be confused)

jennyl11, Jan 12, 4:11am
question re sealing using your method david4 how do you seal themand with what?

davidt4, Jan 12, 4:53am
I just put them into jars with screwtop lids.There's no need to go to any special lengths to seal them.