Gherkins

pickles7, Feb 28, 11:59pm
A while back there was a thread on this subject of including grape leaves in the process of pickling gherkins.
At the time I picked some grape leaves, washed them well and put one in a small jar of gherkins in the fridge, and three in the 3 liter jar of them in the fridge. They were not crisp at the time, they are now. I am very pleased I gave it a go. I am now going to pickle grape leaves in small jars to put with the gherkins, during the off season.

uli, Mar 1, 3:14am
I did the same pickles7 - however I fermented my cucs - and I never likedfermented cucs as they go soft very quickly.

Mine are now over a month and I did some jars with grape leaves and some with oak leaves and both are so far great. So time will tell if they will still be great in 6 months.

pickles7, Mar 1, 9:06am
I am very impressed, we buy our gherkins in 3 liter jars now and they are on the soft side. After the grape leaf treatment they are nice and crisp.My recipe I used to use to pickle gherkins, fermented them before they were put in vinegar. They were very crisp, grape leaves were used in that recipe.