Gherkins

woody1329, Jan 10, 1:28am
I am keen to pickle some gherkins but not sure where to get about 5kilos of nice wee ones,am in the Kaiapoi area Cheers

snapperheadrkp, Jan 10, 6:23am
Waste of time and effort. Our local Pak n Save have 3 brands of 680gm jars of small Gherkins (albeit all made in India) for $1.99 a jar . I defy anyone to purchase fresh Gherkins from a retailer in NZ, plus vinegar and spices and get them to turn as good as these every time. (I have grown and pickled gherkins with mixed results)

laspaz, Jan 10, 6:28am
I pickle my own and say nothing beats them. so give it a go and judge for yourself! I like em super sour so easy to change the brine to suit your own taste.

niffer13, Jan 10, 6:43am
Yes you can buy them cheaper BUT mine are so yummy it is worth the cost & time. Even if you have to buy them rather than grow yourself. Took some to happy hour last week & converted a lady who said she didn't like them.

rotorgirl, Jan 10, 8:10pm
I would like a recipe to pickle them please

korbo, Jan 10, 8:48pm
Have made my own for 30+ years, (never like shop ones. ) and bought a jar from Countdown. The homebrand ones. Never will I bother again to make my own. They are a little on the sweet side, but for the low price, not worth, hunting around the vegy shops buying the vinegar and sugar.
Try them, you will be surprised.

pickles7, Jan 11, 12:12am
yes . korbo. all our fun is getting taken away from us.
I loved pickling my own but then found a 3 litre jar ready to eat for under $10.00.
I still make my own vinegar, that is so cheap to make and tastes so much nicer than what is on sale.

davidt4, Jan 11, 2:04am
Hello Pickles! Nice to see you posting again.

davidt4, Jan 30, 12:17am
Pickled Gherkins (or other veg)

approx 3 kg gherkins
100g plain salt (not iodised)

Wash gherkins. Put in a large bowl with the salt, add 1200 ml cold water, mix to dissolve salt. Leave at least 12 hours, up to 24 hours.

Drain and rinse in cold water. Pack tightly into jars, fill up jars with cold spiced vinegar, distributing the spices evenly. Seal and store for a few weeks before opening.

Spiced vinegar: (may need more depending on vege.)

1200 ml vinegar - white wine or cider are best
2 sticks of cinnamon
1 tab black or white peppercorns
10 cloves
1 tab mustard seeds
1 tab celery seeds

Mix in a saucepan, simmer 10 minutes, cool.