I have fresh gherkins coming out my ears.....

Page 2 / 2
jennyl11, Jan 12, 5:17am
thanks do they keep for a long time?

nauru, Jan 12, 10:32am
I have a Gherkin relish recipe I use every year if you want it

jennyl11, Jan 14, 4:30am
that would be nice nauru.
david does it matter if I dont have the celery seeds, having trouble locating them

bigcous, Jan 14, 11:04am
sell them on tm

davidt4, Jan 14, 8:30pm
Just leave them out.Or you could substitute dill seeds if you leave out the cinnamon.

blt10, Jan 14, 8:34pm
x1
Chopped pickled gherkins in a cheeseball is devine.

coolkiwibird, Jan 15, 5:58am
I did my gherkins in alacto fermentation. they have whey, mustard seeds and dill and water. Sit on the bench for three days then store in fridge. They are nice and not far different from pickling with vinegar. Have just put down my second batch.

blt10, Jan 15, 6:20am
Sorry divine' typo

sunflower1981, Jan 15, 8:57am
Could you post this please. Have Gherkins growing at the moment. TIA

uli, Jan 15, 9:44pm
They will not keep forever though - even in the fridge (which will slow them down) they will keep getting softer. So either eat them within 6 months - or "stop" the fermentation by placing them into a spiced vinegar and use the lovely lacto-ferment juice for drinks rather than discard it...

dragonlady65, Jan 15, 10:40pm
a progress report on my gherkins....I have done one batch of Davidt4 recipe and they were a favourite wiith my husband, eating a jar at a time lol. I have just done another recipe for sweet gherkin, which can be found on http:/www.thatsmyhome.com/general/sweet-gherkins.htm takes a few days but very yummy as they are without having sat yet. Nauru can you please post your recipe for gherkin relish, it sound yummy. thank you all.

dragonlady65, Jan 15, 10:42pm
Moishams (is that how you spell it) sell celery seed and also fennel which is needed in the sweet gherkin recipe.

wildflower, Jan 16, 2:48am
I didn't think my gherkins were really growing then I discovered one I'd missed and now it's rather large, too large for a gherkin:(

guest, Jan 16, 8:49pm
I am looking to buy gherkins to preserve and live in Wellington area - if anyone knows of any, please email me at rosalind.dibley@gmail.com

elliehen, Jan 17, 9:38pm
I heard an interview with a Maori cook who said fermented food was an important part of the diet in early days partly because so many older people lost their teeth!

uli, Jan 17, 11:09pm
Go and eat it like a salad cucumber - whatever you would do with one... there is no difference really!

wil0, Jan 18, 2:16am
Thanks Davidt4 Thats great you don't have to cook them.I wrecked my oven last year when they boiled over Yuk.Thanks for that will try also, cheers

georgie36, Feb 12, 3:41pm
woud love the relish recipe please nauru