Salmon Quiche

buster3, Dec 19, 2:16am
I'm keen to make a traditional (not self crusting) salmon quiche.Does anyone have a good recipe?

Thanks

scrapper2, Dec 19, 2:59am
this is a favourite in our house
Salmon Quiche
Pastry
1 cup plain flour
Pinch salt
90g (3oz) butter
1 egg yolk
1 tab lemon juice

Filling
8oz can red salmon (250gm)
4 rashers bacon
1 ½ cups cream
Salt and pepper
3 eggs
2 tab ch. Parsley
1 tab grated parmesan cheese
½ tsp. paprika
Pastry
Sift flour and salt into bowl, rub in butter till resembles fine breadcrumbs. Mix to firm dough with lightly beaten egg yolk and lemon juice. Add1 -2 tab water if needed. Turn pastry onto lightly floured board and knead lightly.

Roll out to fit flan tin. Press into grooves, refrigerate one hour.
Drain salmon reserving liquid flake salmon ligjhtly, remove bones . dice bacon fry genly till crisp, remove from pan and drain well. Beat together cream, eggs, salt pepper, paprika, parsley, parmesan cheese and reserved salmon liquid.
Arrange salmon evenly in base of pastry shell, sprinkle bacon over, carefully.
Bake in mod hot oven 10 mins, reduce heat to mod slow, cook further 30 – 35 minutes or till filling has set.
enjoy!

toadfish, Dec 19, 2:59am
Pam's Salmon Quiche Recipe
with the pastry ingredients and method at the beginning.

PASTRY:

1 cup plain flour;
pinch salt;
90g butter;
1 egg yolk;
1 tbsp lemon juice.

FILLING: 250g can red salmon (you can use pink)
4 rashers bacon;
1 1/2 cups cream;
3 eggs;salt & pepper;
1/2 tsp paprika;
2 tbs chopped parsley;
1 tbsp grated parmesan cheese ( I just use the galaxy stuff in the shaker).

PASTRY: Sift flour and salt into bowl,rub in butter,till it resembles fine breadcrumbs. Mix to a firm dough with beaten egg yolk and lemon juice;add 1-2 tsp of cold water if necessary. Roll out pastry on lightly floured surface to a circle big enough to fit base and sides of a 23cm metal flan tin. Lift pastry gently over a rolling pin,lift into flan tin. ease pastry into sides of tin and press into grooves of tin with fingers. Handle gently so pastry does not break (if it does, you can easily press bits of pastry on - it works fine) Roll the rolling pin over the top of tin to cut off excess pastry. Refrigerate shell one hour.

FILLING
Meanwhile chop bacon and fry in non-stick pan till crispy. Remove from pan and drain on absorbent paper.Put flan tin on an oven tray. Drain salmon,reserve the liquid. Flake the salmon,removing bones etc. Arrange the salmon and bacon on the base of the flan. Beat together cream,eggs,salt,pepper,cheese,-
paprika,parley and reserved salmon liquid. Carefully pour this mixture over the back of a spoon into flan tin to cover salmon and bacon. Bake in mod hot oven (190) for 10 mins,then reduce heat to mod slow (160) and cook a further 30-35 mins or until filling has set. Its lovely warm or cold.

I just serve a salad and some crusty bread on the side.

toadfish, Dec 19, 3:01am
Wow great minds think alike... we all thought of cookessentials... whats the bet we see her in here to post it as well.

245sam, Dec 19, 3:07am
mmm, you're so right toadfish, we did all think of Pam's recipe but I think she's a very busy cookessentials at the mo' with all the pre-Christmas shopping - I think her shop is open 7 days/week right now but if not she's hopefully having a well deserved rest (or maybe just getting her own pre-Christmas chores, etc. done at home).:-))

scrapper2, Dec 19, 3:13am
sorry I couldn't remember where I got the recipe from otherwise I would have given her the credit.Merry Christmas all.

buster3, Dec 19, 3:42am
Thank you all

cookessentials, Dec 19, 5:28am
Hi everyone, yep that's the one and it is SO delicious. Yes, last week of being open seven days since mid November, so looking forward to four days off next weekend. Very very busy in the shop,but very festive. We have our HUGE gingerbread house taking pride of place in the window and the gorgeous Santa cake also which will both be given away on the 23rd. We have big glass jars filled with gingerbread men to give away to customers, who are happy to wander around the shop munching on them!

Anything I need to do for home is being done when I come home, so pretty full on at the moment,so not here quite so often. Enjoy the quiche.

fruitluva2, Nov 15, 7:09pm
I must give cooks quiche a go after reading above posts.
Merry xmas