Food for Survival Kit - suggestions please

Page 2 / 5
elliehen, Feb 28, 3:14am
karenz, your mention of 'walking shoes' makes me wonder how many women wear high-heeled shoes to work in their high-rise buildings.

pipstarz, Feb 28, 3:22am
TOOTHPASTE
INSECT REPELLENT

corgi731, Feb 28, 3:44am
How long would water keep for, say if you filled a 20 litre container before you have to change it?I've been thinking of doing the same thing this week as well raewyn64, good on ya!

corgi731, Feb 28, 3:44am
How long would water keep for, say if you filled a 20 litre container before you have to change it!I've been thinking of doing the same thing this week as well raewyn64, good on ya!

jessie981, Feb 28, 3:59am
Interesting re 'tear top' can 245sam.Must remember & spread the word among friends/reles. Thanx.

jessie981, Feb 28, 3:59am
Interesting re 'tear top' can 245sam.Must remember & spread the word among friends/reles. Thanx.

jessie981, Feb 28, 4:11am
Needs must as needs must!Good idea
Try & always carry i form of ID on your person.

beaker59, Feb 28, 4:12am
Get a set of those cheap cast iron gas rings you can run them off your BBQ gas bottle they are much more useful for boiling water etc than a BBQ. In our house we have 4 x 9Kg bottles one each for BBQ, Gas Hob, Heater, and 1 spare when one empties I replace with spare and put empty in the car for refill.

As a hunter I keep all my gear pretty much ready to go in my pack with the down sleeping bag lofted up beside it ready for repacking (mainly thats so I can make a fast get away for a hunting trip but handy anyway)
small water tank for garden watering

Think about a roof supplied small water tank for garden watering this will be a godsend if a civil defense event happened in you area. Probably would still need boiling.

We have a full set of camping gear as well as a camper and our boat is fully selfsufficient w could live in that so have a wide range of support accom but we do have a large family so need the gear.

Having said all this I am not sure we are fully ready.

For another emergency cooking device google "penny stove" I use them when hunting very cheap and efficient. If need be you can actually cook your dinner with the contents of the liquor cabinet :)

pipstarz, Feb 28, 4:16am
Big black rubbish bags, have a hundy and one uses...

pipstarz, Feb 28, 4:16am
Big black rubbish bags, have a hundy and one uses.

suzanna, Feb 28, 4:47am
An old style telephone, paper plates and a solar shower, baby wipes and toilet paper.

245sam, Feb 28, 5:13am
Very good point re the telephone suzanna, IMO EVERY home should have one of those old-style telephones - when there is no electricity the modern phones cannot be relied on and neither can a cell phone unless there is some alternative means of charging the cell phone - we sooo relied upon our two older type phones back in September when we had no power and wanted/needed to contact family to check on them and reassure them about our own situation.:-))

cgvl, Feb 28, 5:15am
I dont know whats been suggested or what you already have but:
Uncle Bens or similar rice meals
pasta in sauce
I have some milton tabs that you can add ¼ to a 10lt bucket of water to sterilise.
tinned fruit and food stuffs
we keep fresh bottled water, that is changed every few weeks
either a small packet of milk powder or tin of condensed milk ...either the unsweetened or sweetened variety or some UHT milk
Tea, coffe, milo, sugar, salt, pepper.
In a second box we have a set of tri pots, frying pan, some bowls, set of plastic lids (covering ones with elastic in them), tongs, spatula, serving spoon, whisk, wooden spoons, can opener, lighter for gas or matches, dishwash, pot mit,clothes line rope, pegs, also have a grater and a couple of chopping boards.
couple of sharp knives and cutlery, crockery (plastic's fine).
In a third container 10lt bucket we keep a basic 1st aid kit; with dettol, hand sanitiser, panadol, scissors, couple of rolls toilet paper, sticking plasters, opsite type dressings and ordinary dressings, also have in this one our asthma and hayfever medication (renew them every 6mths)
Note though that these also are part of our camping equipment so are always well stocked with no doubt far more than we need. They also are checked, restocked and stored together so can be uplifted at a moments notice.

cgvl, Feb 28, 5:15am
I dont know whats been suggested or what you already have but:
Uncle Bens or similar rice meals
pasta in sauce
I have some milton tabs that you can add ¼ to a 10lt bucket of water to sterilise.
tinned fruit and food stuffs
we keep fresh bottled water, that is changed every few weeks
either a small packet of milk powder or tin of condensed milk .either the unsweetened or sweetened variety or some UHT milk
Tea, coffe, milo, sugar, salt, pepper.
In a second box we have a set of tri pots, frying pan, some bowls, set of plastic lids (covering ones with elastic in them), tongs, spatula, serving spoon, whisk, wooden spoons, can opener, lighter for gas or matches, dishwash, pot mit,clothes line rope, pegs, also have a grater and a couple of chopping boards.
couple of sharp knives and cutlery, crockery (plastic's fine).
In a third container 10lt bucket we keep a basic 1st aid kit; with dettol, hand sanitiser, panadol, scissors, couple of rolls toilet paper, sticking plasters, opsite type dressings and ordinary dressings, also have in this one our asthma and hayfever medication (renew them every 6mths)
Note though that these also are part of our camping equipment so are always well stocked with no doubt far more than we need. They also are checked, restocked and stored together so can be uplifted at a moments notice.

smileeah, Feb 28, 5:17am
Great ideas!

Just a note on the storing water in the freezer idea. We have recently started doing this and I don't recommend recycling milk bottles for this purpose as the water is tainted with a distinct plastic flavour. Not very nice. We are using 3 litre juice bottles successfully though. Haven't tried the juice boxes.

smileeah, Feb 28, 5:17am
Great ideas!

Just a note on the storing water in the freezer idea. We have recently started doing this and I don't recommend recycling milk bottles for this purpose as the water is tainted with a distinct plastic flavour. Not very nice. We are using 3 litre juice bottles successfully though. Haven't tried the juice boxes.

Also I would think having plenty of gas in your vehicle at all times would be a good idea (not always running on empty like I mostly do lol).
And of course sanitary items for women.

jessie981, Feb 28, 5:18am
And don't use the gin bottles, they crack!

jessie981, Feb 28, 5:18am
And don't use the gin bottles, they crack!

patxyz, Feb 28, 5:19am
Google 'hamburger rocks' and 'canning butter'

Easy to make and has a long shelf life.Margarine can also be canned / bottled.

Have consumed 18 month old hamburger rocks (stored in the pantry) & 6 month old 'canned' butter & marg with no ill effects.

patxyz, Feb 28, 5:19am
Google 'hamburger rocks' and 'canning butter'

Easy to make and has a long shelf life.Margarine can also be canned / bottled.

Have consumed 18 month old hamburger rocks (stored in the pantry) & 6 month old 'canned' butter & marg with no ill effects.

patxyz, Feb 28, 5:23am
Oh, and go to solarcooking.org and knock yourself up a 'Cookit'.

Costs cents and takes about an hour to make.

patxyz, Feb 28, 5:23am
Oh, and go to solarcooking.org and knock yourself up a 'Cookit'.

Costs cents and takes about an hour to make.

calista, Feb 28, 5:34am
Copy those precious photos and important papers ontoa memory sitck or cd or some other electronic storage) and sent to a friend /family member who lives in another town (they can send theirs to you).That way you won't lose them (unless it's a nuclesr war or something truly cataclysmic).Sometimes these can be the most distressing things to lose.

Sorry, off the food topic, but a hany hint a friend picked up on the Americam Red Cross site.

Also have some cash on hand. ATM machines rely on electricity (personal experience).

calista, Feb 28, 5:34am
Copy those precious photos and important papers ontoa memory sitck or cd or some other electronic storage) and sent to a friend /family member who lives in another town (they can send theirs to you).That way you won't lose them (unless it's a nuclesar war or something truly cataclysmic).Sometimes these can be the most distressing things to lose.

Sorry, off the food topic, but a hany hint a friend picked up on the American Red Cross site.

Also have some cash on hand. ATM machines rely on electricity and can be emptied by other people who didn't plan ahead but got there before you. (personal experience).

pickles7, Feb 28, 5:38am
We have a tote bag ready to grab with all toiletries medications, bandages saline etc., another with emergency warm clothes rain coats leather shoes and sox, all old and stuff we can do with out. Large plastic bags, added today. I have been filling up milk bottles with water, adding 3 drops of janola to each and putting them outside under a hedge. We also have 2 x 23 liter containers full of water. We always have a good supply of caned baked beans etc, we can eat those cold.