Food for Survival Kit - suggestions please

Page 5 / 5
ant_sonja, Mar 24, 9:14pm
Where do you buy this and what is the cost! Have't seen any tinned butter around for years.

elliehen, Mar 24, 10:05pm
...not to mention the raw sewage 'fertiliser' ;)

davidt4, Mar 24, 10:44pm
I used to buy Goldern Churn tinned butter in a green and gold tin- produced in Morrinsville and mildly cultured, it is a beautiful butter.However I haven't seen it on general sale for a couple of years, only in Duty Free shops at about $9 for 375g.

I tried to track it down, and discovered that at one stage it was sold by Amway, but I don't know if this is still the case.

I'd love to find a source again.

duckmoon, Mar 24, 11:33pm
this article was written in 2006, when the disaster on our mind was Bird Flu... Rather than EQ...

george091, Mar 25, 8:49am
Mouthwash, if you haven't got water to wash your hands the alcohol kills germs

winnie231, Mar 25, 9:40am
Non edibles but essentials all the same ... battery powered press on/press off lights. They are silver grey, 5cm diameter, have a peel off & stick type back & come in a pack of 3 for $10 from The Warehouse, Mitre 10, etc.
We now have them next to our beds, doors ... plus backups in the emergency kit.
Believe me - you don't want to be trying to find/deal with a torch in an emergency situation (althoug we have those too).
Also scissors (tear open foil packets NEVER tear open when they're suppose to) and a can opener (you would be amazed how many people forget 1!).

juliewn, Mar 25, 10:52am
The Healthy Food Guide magazine has info about emergency lists here:
http://www.healthyfood.co.nz/articles/2006/june/preparing-for-disaster-how-will-you-cope

It includes a list of foods to provide for a family of four for two weeks.

Growing your own vegetables, whether in a garden or pots, is good too. you can then provide veges for yourselves - and as has been posted in the earthquake messageboard, you may be able to provide veges for neighbours, family and friends too. Fruit trees will provide well too.

juliewn, Mar 25, 11:22am
Hi Chchgurl.. the contamination certainly would be a problem if it occurred, however it wouldn't occur in areas that aren't affected by liquefaction or other flooding.. Vege. gardens here grow all year round, so winter veges would be available, and would in many other areas too, depending on what is grown.

Hi Duckmoon.. yes, the link was to emergency items for a bird flu situation, however the info is relevant for quakes, storms, and other emergencies too.. the threads I've seen here and in the quake messageboard sure show how checking a variety of sources for what to have in an emergency kit is a good idea - I've found that the threads have all included information that's helpful in creating our kits.

Hi Rae.. I saw some of those lights recently and thought about getting some to include.. thanks.. will do now..

chchgurl, Mar 25, 11:33am
Err until your garden is full of contaminated silt. Or EQ happens in the middle of winter.

elliehen, Mar 25, 10:05pm
.not to mention the raw sewage 'fertiliser' ;)

duckmoon, Mar 25, 11:33pm
this article was written in 2006, when the disaster on our mind was Bird Flu. Rather than EQ.

winnie231, Mar 26, 9:40am
Non edibles but essentials all the same . battery powered press on/press off lights. They are silver grey, 5cm diameter, have a peel off & stick type back & come in a pack of 3 for $10 from The Warehouse, Mitre 10, etc.
We now have them next to our beds, doors . plus backups in the emergency kit.
Believe me - you don't want to be trying to find/deal with a torch in an emergency situation (althoug we have those too).
Also scissors (tear open foil packets NEVER tear open when they're suppose to) and a can opener (you would be amazed how many people forget 1!).

juliewn, Mar 26, 11:22am
Hi Chchgurl. the contamination certainly would be a problem if it occurred, however it wouldn't occur in areas that aren't affected by liquefaction or other flooding. Vege. gardens here grow all year round, so winter veges would be available, and would in many other areas too, depending on what is grown.

Hi Duckmoon. yes, the link was to emergency items for a bird flu situation, however the info is relevant for quakes, storms, and other emergencies too. the threads I've seen here and in the quake messageboard sure show how checking a variety of sources for what to have in an emergency kit is a good idea - I've found that the threads have all included information that's helpful in creating our kits.

Hi Rae. I saw some of those lights recently and thought about getting some to include. thanks. will do now.