Food for Survival Kit - suggestions please

Page 4 / 5
kuaka, Mar 2, 9:29am
I think fruit juice containers would be better than plastic milk bottles, and I'm sure some of the 3 litre ones would have handles on.

loafer1, Mar 2, 9:38am
I'm not sure if this has been sid already but don't forget cash. Thats the one thing I regretted not having on hand this time.

goldengirl7, Mar 2, 7:56pm
Regarding water, I have this advice from my mother who used to be with civil defence:
Bought bottled water will keep for six months, then recycle.
Water put into containers yourself will keep for three months IF you fill it to overflowing before putting the lid on (must be to keep the air out).

smileeah, Mar 2, 10:19pm
But is it affordable!

jaybee2003, Mar 3, 4:45am
Remember. what you load into your 60litre container, you need to be able to physically lift it, carry it, or move it! Watch the weight!
Well done you for being proactive!
:-)

elliehen, Mar 3, 9:22am
Post #34 .perhaps email Kathryn Bowler.

kuaka, Mar 3, 9:29am
I think fruit juice containers would be better than plastic milk bottles, and I'm sure some of the 3 litre ones would have handles on.

loafer1, Mar 3, 9:38am
I'm not sure if this has been sid already but don't forget cash. Thats the one thing I regretted not having on hand this time.

uli, Mar 12, 12:44am
If you add a bit of silver nitrate then the water keeps much longer.

pickles7, Mar 13, 12:05am

rozke, Mar 13, 3:44am
#37Karenz.Listen to Radio Live with Ewing Stevens he often puts the web address and 0800 phone nosfor the dynamo radio with torch.around the $54.00but then l heard that either Bunnings or some other firm as big ashad them for $30do not remember if torch was attached

tabitha, Mar 13, 4:00am
#37. I got mine from Mitre 10, Looks like a slightly large torch & has radio, alarm, & cell charger. Cost $44.90

pickles7, Mar 14, 12:05am

wayneandjudith, Mar 23, 3:21am
How about one of those small trolleys with stretchies that you use to strap a suitcase onto for wheeling? Can you still get them? Or one of those 'older-lady' pull-along shopping trolley/bags? Either would be useful for moving heavy water supplies.

beaker59, Mar 23, 3:38am
Most homes have a wheelbarrow.

calista, Mar 23, 6:57am
I always get the prescription for my regular medication filled at least a week before the supply runs out. V important as my chemist was in the City centre.I also found out I could get a week's worth of medication by taking proof of amounts etc to any chemist.

ant_sonja, Mar 23, 9:14pm
Where do you buy this and what is the cost? Have't seen any tinned butter around for years..

davidt4, Mar 23, 10:44pm
I used to buy Goldern Churn tinned butter in a green and gold tin- produced in Morrinsville and mildly cultured, it is a beautiful butter.However I haven't seen it on general sale for a couple of years, only in Duty Free shops at about $9 for 375g.

I tried to track it down, and discovered that at one stage it was sold by Amway, but I don't know if this is still the case.

I'd love to find a source again.

wayneandjudith, Mar 24, 3:21am
How about one of those small trolleys with stretchies that you use to strap a suitcase onto for wheeling! Can you still get them! Or one of those 'older-lady' pull-along shopping trolley/bags! Either would be useful for moving heavy water supplies.

calista, Mar 24, 6:57am
I always get the prescription for my regular medication filled at least a week before the supply runs out. V important as my chemist was in the City centre.I also found out I could get a week's worth of medication by taking proof of amounts etc to any chemist.

george091, Mar 24, 8:49am
Mouthwash, if you haven't got water to wash your hands the alcohol kills germs

gsav1, Mar 24, 9:01am
Hey guys, thanks for the great read.
I have just started saving water, we use about 3 litres of milk per week so every time we finish our milk I wash it out and fill it with water and a few drops of janola or bleach. This water should last about a year I read somewhere. Ive got about 30 - 40 litres in the garage and other places around the house.

I watched a show on TV where the guy was saying a 10kg bag of rice and a 4 ltr bottle of vege oil and heaps of tinned fish would keep a family of four fed for 2 months. I think their scenario was a global epidemic, so with every shopping I buy a bit of rice and tuna to add to my stash. I also buy extra flour, peanut butter and noodles.

elliehen, Mar 24, 9:31am

juliewn, Mar 24, 10:52am
The Healthy Food Guide magazine has info about emergency lists here:
http://www.healthyfood.co.nz/articles/2006/june/preparing-for-disaster-how-will-you-cope

It includes a list of foods to provide for a family of four for two weeks..

Growing your own vegetables, whether in a garden or pots, is good too.. you can then provide veges for yourselves - and as has been posted in the earthquake messageboard, you may be able to provide veges for neighbours, family and friends too.. Fruit trees will provide well too..

chchgurl, Mar 24, 11:33am
Err until your garden is full of contaminated silt............ Or EQ happens in the middle of winter.