Is anyone making bread in their slow cooker?

Page 3 / 11
marlin9, Feb 26, 4:12am
bumping so i can find this later one

addington261, Feb 27, 8:15am
I never thought that this recipe would be the only way to have fresh bread here in Christchurch...Thanks so much for posting it ...So glad I had a couple of trial runs before the earthquake and had bought extra flour and yeast.

sniper03, Feb 28, 9:37pm
Hi there, i'm going to attempt this today but just just have a couple of sillyquestions before i do...
How long do i preheat the cooker for? What brand of yeast did people use,I have edmonds and tasti here,whats better? Cheers!

kate_and_jase, Mar 2, 12:03am
just gavethis a go....

and now i have a smashed crockpot *sigh*. managed to drop it while turning the bread out. slipped out of the tea towels i was holding it with - take extra care guys!

crystalmoon, Mar 2, 1:10am
bugger,thanks for the warning,hope you can get a replacement for it.

kate_and_jase, Mar 2, 1:17am
thanks. 3rd crockpot in as mny years - only had this one since christmas. Use it all the time, so im super gutted. Keeping an eye on here for a good bargain!

Anyways, havent cut the bread yet but it seems to have turned out well.

korbo, Mar 2, 1:18am
just bumping so i can read later on. so busy at present.

crystalmoon, Mar 2, 1:46am
have been thinking about this recipe since yesterday,will have a hunt in cupboard for yeast and make some tonight,have just given away my big cooker as just 2 of us home now so will have to halve it for the small one,sounds lovely.MMMmmmmm fresh bread with dinner:)

fifie, Mar 2, 2:03am
Bummer, things arn't made to last these days. Have had my original C/P for 25-30 years still going strong and my new slow cooker i'm on second one in a few months also how things change.

kate_and_jase, Mar 2, 2:11am
well, even my old 70's Ralta couldnt withstand me dropping it lol, it was hte best crockpot i have had though! Best $10 i spent, got it 2nd hand (or probably more like 5th hand!) getting that. But this one I dropped today was an expensive one :(

hestia, Mar 2, 4:33am
Did you pre-heat the slow cooker before you oiled it? I made two loaves, cooked one after the other, and the second loaf comes out more easily, as the bowl is more hot when I oil it.

hestia, Mar 2, 4:37am
I'm a bit wary of pre-heating the slow cooker, as you are not supposed to have it on with nothing inside the cooker. But if I didn't pre-heat it, then the bread would stick inside the bowl. So I made a compromise, and pre-heated it for a minimum amount of time. I pre-heated it for 5 minutes.

hestia, Mar 2, 4:40am
Thanks again to onekiwigirl. Before you posted this, I had never made my own bread before - you have really inspired me. As well as wholemeal bread, I made potato bread in the slow cooker.

lissy73, Mar 2, 7:31am
kate_and_jase just thought you might like to know, I phoned the company that made my crockpot, (the 0800 number) and they delivered to me from Australia a new inner which only came to around $30. Our crock pot is a biggie, 7L I think, so it was a very cheap option

kate_and_jase, Mar 2, 11:12pm
thanks lissy, mines a russell hobbs one, may give them a call, see how much it will be :)

The kids had home made bread sammies today at playgroup, and everybdy commented on the bread and were suprised to learn i did it in the slow cooker. Cant wait to get a new one to keep making it, makes a decent sized loaf!

crystalmoon, Mar 5, 7:06am
Awesome recipe:):) finally made it today,had to halve the recipe for our small one and it was perfect.Added,pumkin seeds,linseeds and poppy seeds to mix and cooked it for 1hr and 20mins.Also placed a piece of baking powder in bottom to stopp sticking.Thank you so much,cant wait to try other variations.
How do I add photo's its been a while since Ive done it and forgotten how lolz.

finlight, Mar 5, 7:44am
bump for a gluten free recipe

storm72, Mar 6, 12:32am
Well first try at bread making and I tried this recipe yesterday.It didnt rise for me and didnt seem hollow when tapped after 2 hours, so cooked it another half hour but of course let in condensation by lifting lid after the 2 hours, bread was a bit dry but otherwise ok.Questions are: how long to preheat the slow cooker? how much time should the dough be kneaded and once kneaded does it go straight in the preheated cooker or rest on bench half an hour to rise first?I only kneaded about 3 mins, sort of sprung back when poked but perhaps it wasnt elastic enough hence not rising.Also the 4 cups of white flour, it was mentioned to mix in the wholemeal but only said add enough white to make a dough i.e. does that mean dont use all the white 4 cups of flour?.Would that be why my bread didnt rise?Definitely want to try again but need a bit more clarification of my questions, being an amatuer first go so excuse my ignorance.Love the recipe and idea though.Any help greatly appreciated.I used Tasti yeast plus a cup of mixed bread grains from Bin Inn.

addington261, Mar 6, 3:18am
I knead mine for about 5 or 6 minutes comes out great.

crystalmoon, Mar 6, 5:57am
I only did a half measure but still used all the white flour and just pre heated for 5mins.Check your yeast is fresh too.I also kneaded mine for about 5 mins.Goodluck give it another go.

griffo4, Mar 6, 8:54pm
My crockpot gets condensation on the lid in the last hour so l take it off and quickly wipe the lid and put it back on l sometimes have to do it 2 or 3 times and now l have found my crockpot has a cooler spot so will have to turn it round part way through cooking
l knead my bread for 5 to 6 mins until it is elasticy (sp) and springs back when l push finger into it
l have had so many comments about my bread now and it is so much easier for me to make
l have a loaf on now, yum hot bread for lunch

storm72, Mar 6, 9:09pm
Will definitely try again - second attempt.Perhaps not quite as much white flour (4 cups), perhaps 3 cups? would that make it not so heavy?Yeast was a freshly open container of Tasti yeast.Will this time preheat oiled cooker for 5 mins before putting in well kneaded dough (kneaded this time for good 5 mins).I take it there is no need to rest the dough on the bench to let it rise for awhile after kneading before putting in cooker ?Any help greatly appreciated.

hestia, Mar 6, 11:47pm
I am only a novice bread maker, but I have seen TV cooks make bread. They usually let the dough rise twice, knead the dough between risings, before baking it. That is what I did, pleased with the result. You have to respect other peoples expertise and experiences.

griffo4, Mar 7, 1:45am
That is the beauty of this loaf is you make it up, knead it and put it straight into the crockpot
l was in a hurry today as l had to go and shift stock and l made it up at breakfast time then l came back in to wipe the lid and then when it was done take it out and straight into oven to finish
l turn my crockpot on when l start getting everything out and it is nice and hot when l put the oil in and give it a wipe round and leave any extra oil in the bottom and l get a nice crisp brown bottom on the loaf and it falls out when l turn it over
l have never really been very good at making bread but this is so easy l am making bread that l am proud of

suzanna, Mar 7, 11:16am
Has anyone made a really great spicy fruit loaf in their cp!I still make the original loaves with whatever takes my fancy on the day thanks to 'onekiwigirl's' posting but fruit ones would be a good change especially with Easter coming up. Cheers.