Slow cookers - help with meat texture

fulllmonty, Jun 28, 5:26am
No matter how I cook a casserole in a slow cooker - 4 hours, 6 hours, 8 hours, browned, not browned, high heat, low heat - and no matter what cut of meat - the meat is always dry/tough.Tonite for example it was porterhouse, 3 hours on high.It is cooked but still slightly pink, soft to the touch but tastes dry.
What hints can you give me?I want the meat that falls apart in your mouth!

issymae, Jun 28, 5:33am
what are you using for the liquid,stock,water ,tomatoe etc

mackenzie2, Jun 28, 5:35am
You need to use meat that is closer to the bone.... Shin, braising. I never use rump as I reckon it drys out to much, and I would never use porterhouse.
Do you have enough moisture??

fulllmonty, Jun 28, 5:37am
I've done it both ways - plenty of liquied, and with my new cooker, just enough - ie the casserole texture/moisture level overall is just perfect - usually there is way too much liquid.

I am using whatever the recipe calls for for liquid, today, red wine!

mackenzie2, Jun 28, 5:48am
What brand of cooker??

buzzy110, Jun 28, 5:55am
I'm going to get shouted down for saying this but if I've said it once, I'll say it again - slow cookers/crock pots dry out meat. Sure, when it is first cooked it appears to be 'fall apart tender' but it has absolutely no succulence left, since all the juice has been cooked out. It is vital to use the juice in the crockpot to make a decent sauce. I have found leftovers are like supermarket cooked chickens - dry and a mission to eat. All the juice is cooked out of the meat, which is why you are left with a lot of liquid.

Personally I do not think you can beat the old fashioned method of cooking, or if you can stretch to it, a pressure cooker would be preferable.

I think it all boils down to taste. Either you got it or you don't and don't mind eating cardboard in sauce. I think that maybe you don't like to eat cardboard in sauce. I applaud your taste.

tazdan, Jun 28, 6:03am
bollocks!!!!

Every dish I have cooked, the meat is tender and juicy.

OP, don't use porterhouse. You need to use stewing steak. Porterhouse is not made to be slow cooked for hours.

I use the maggi sachets and have great success. Done properly, slow cookers are brilliant.

Chicken drums slow cooked for 6 hours on low just fall off the bone and are so tender. Lamb chops fall apart.

nfh1, Jun 28, 6:46am
I would never use Porterhouse in the SC, for me that cut is for quick cooking, grill, panfry or slapping on the BBQ.

I use Rump in the SC and it has always been lovely and moist.

jandgaitken, Jun 28, 6:57am
I agree about not using porterhouse. Although, I wouldn't use rump steak, either.
As a general rule, for any sort of slow cooking or casseroles, don't use frying steak. You need the extra fat etc in the cheaper cuts ... that's what gives the meat flavour and keeps it moist as it cooks slowly.
Frying steaks shouldn't be cooked slowly: they will always dry out. Use braising steak, stewing steak, chuck etc.

fulllmonty, Jun 28, 7:00am
Could be right there - from habit, I always trim every bit of fat I can from all meat.

nfh1, Jun 28, 7:02am
I use rump as I hate fat but I can see fattier cuts would work even better in the SC.

lythande1, Jun 28, 7:42pm
Yes, although I don't think it's the cooker so much as the fact that it doesn't get stirred. You do it the normal way in the oven, and if the meat has any above the liquid the same thing will happen unless you turn or stir.
And slow cookers are the sort of thing that you go out and leave.
I use mine but only if I have to, and only forthings that have a lot of liquid.

rainrain1, Jun 28, 8:26pm
If I were you I would try cooking it for longer, 3 hours is not long enough in a slow cooker....double your time and maybe then some...well for your porter house anyway....and why do you cook porterhouse in a slow cooker, that is a waste of a top steak

norse_westie, Jun 28, 9:36pm
I think it boils down to: you have no clue how to use a slowcooker.

Admittedly I did a nice curry on the weekend and used rump steak because it was on special cheaper than the casserole ones. I cooked it for less time and slower, but it was a little over done - as in it fell apart. Still very tasty and very juicy though. The kids loved it, especially the 5 yr old who hates chewing meat.

Other than that, my meals in the crockpot turn out perfect. Last nights smokey BBQ pork was so good the kids were scraping the bowl begging for more.

norse_westie, Jun 28, 9:37pm
I would agree with the stirring too - I always stir my meal twice during cooking, and I turn it on high for an hour, then down to low for the rest of the time. I rarely bother with browning.

buzzy110, Jun 29, 3:29am
Too much generalisation there nor westie. I know exactly how to use a slow cooker. I also stay, occasionally with friends who love to use their slow cooker ALL THE TIME and all the time I have found the food comes out exactly as I have said it does but they seem unaware of its deficiencies.

The problem seems, to me at least, that most people have no idea what a really superbly cooked piece of meat should taste like. If you are used to eating meat that has been dried out like cardboard, you don't know any different.

It is none of my business whether you all think that second rate food is good enough. I am of the opinion, though, that second rate is not good enough for my household.

buzzy110, Jun 29, 3:32am
Falling off the bone is actually not the same as succulent. Meat that falls off the bone is overcooked imo.

norse_westie, Jun 29, 4:08am
Ya know buzzy, you would be more credible if you didnt bitch so much. How about saying: "personally I'm not keen on slow cooker food" rather than calling other people's cooking second rate, or tasting like cardboard.

Not that I would want you as a guest at my house anyway, but if you did eat here you would be surprised how excellent my food is. And BTW I eat at very good restaurants quite frequently and I KNOW quality. My food is very good quality. Thanks all the same.

You know the old saying: you catch more flies with honey?