Slow Cookers - are they really good?

Page 1 / 7
cookessentials, Jan 8, 9:30am
Up for someone asking about slow cookers and how good they are

ruby19, May 5, 7:45am
Bumping for blade steak crockpot

mimi1, May 5, 8:10am
your cooker must be stuffed.Our meals are never luke warm - always piping hot.And to make the gravyjust add some cornflour to the liquid towards the end of the cooking - easy.

patxyz, May 5, 8:17am
Anyone care to clarify!

Thanks

bunny51, May 5, 8:17am
I use mine regularly, It is great if we have osmething on after school and get home late. Tea can be ready when we get home apart from some quick final preparations.

bunny51, May 5, 8:18am
And Buzzy, maybe there is something wrong with the thermostat or element of yours if the food is only luke warm.

nfh1, May 5, 8:23am
buzzy's posts were from May last year.I hope she has not been waiting for a year for a response.

bunny51, May 5, 8:52am
Oops LOL (I guess the crockpot isn't on special at New World either anymore then). Perhaps it would be handy if posts could have the year as part of the date so it is possible to see how old the thread is!

nfh1, May 5, 8:54am
LOL - but the thread is about SLOW cookers!

olishea, May 5, 9:18am
I love my slow cooker but I am the first to admit a lot of the things I make in it tend to taste the same (fault of the cook not of the cooker) but curry in the slow cooker is amazing! great way to use cheaper cuts of meat as well!

bunny51, May 5, 10:50am
Hehe, must be too late, it took me a few reads to get that,

polly226, May 6, 12:20pm
Slow cook just brilliant, my husband does a lot of cooking, we share as it should b. I got one for him he loves, so will you. You can put it on go out and when u return hey presto done.

geordie7, May 6, 9:20pm
Pressure cookers are a fantastic item in the kitchen and time saving as well as cheap on power consumption. Just have to learn to use them and be creative. Can make the cheapest cuts of meat so tender. Use to tenderize cheap meat, remove pressure and then finish off cooking by adding your simmer sauces. Great for a quick curry.

ruby19, May 6, 11:20pm
I do think sometimes the spices can loose a little of their punch when using slow cookers, but I just add a little extra to add back the flavours. They definately have their uses.
I have used mine just to keep homemade soup warm, when doing a sports fundraiser.
I think the key is finding the right recipes for the style of cooking.

skipper42, May 7, 1:56am
RAW chicken is fine.bones and all. Cooked bones are a definite NO NO. I give my Fella chicken frames and necks, wings when they are on slecial at the supermarket. Have even thrown him a whole bird (from the supermarket)once when we were out and he needed feeding.

pom4, May 10, 4:16am
Its a great feeling to come home from work and find your meal all cooked and smelling delicous in the crock-pot, and no dishes either

whiskey13, May 10, 4:37am
Tonight i'm having Alison Holst's Sweet chilli chicken.
Yum yum.

whiskey13, May 10, 4:38am
But my favourite would have to bebbq'd spare ribs.
Finger licking good

pom4, May 10, 5:26am
I usually just throw in some bite size veges and diced cheap meat and a tin of savoury tomatoes, then add an oxo cube, a teaspoon of garlic and some herbs. no water, it always tastes nice and everyone in the house likes it. I dont put potatoes in it because i like to have it with mashed potatoes. yum.
Takes no time to prepare and so nice to come home to after work.

pom4, May 10, 5:27am
Would you mind sharing this recipe please!

korban, May 17, 1:18am
I don't like stew/casseroles, but friends keep telling me I need a slow cooker.What do you lovely recipe people make in your slow cooker?

Thanks.

redslapper, May 17, 1:38am
roast/stew/soup all sorts i couldnt live with out mine :)

pericles, May 17, 1:40am
last night was a leg of pork, then crisped in the oven for crackle

kuaka, May 17, 1:45am
and New World have them this week for $44.95 (and I think it said you get 10 bonus fly buys points - but I might have imagined that) it wasn't a well-known brand and I didn't notice how big it was.

harrislucinda, May 17, 2:23am
you cancookchickenwhole,oracornedbeef,orpuddings ,soyou willgetuseoutofit