Pressure Cookers??

melandshane, May 9, 11:25pm
they seems to be coming back. . anyone use one?
I have a slow cooker... . a pressure cooker sounds like a great idea for winter as you can have something warming done in less then an hour

they seem a bit scarey though too as I have never used one!

simeone1, May 9, 11:38pm
They are awesome - a bit scary at first when you use it but you get used to it. I make a mean beef stew in mine. I have found they tend to do red meat dishes nice and tender but chicken dishes arent as tender as if you were to do it in the slow cooker

melandshane, May 9, 11:44pm
thanks for your feedback! :)
what kind of Pressure cooker do you have?

cookessentials, May 10, 12:00am
The new ones are nowhere near as scary as the old style! There is no need to release the pressure valve and they are all dial operated. Fagor is one of the largest selling ones available - the "duo" would be suitable for you and they go from a 6Litre model right through to a 9 litre model.

cookessentials, May 10, 12:10am
Here is some good info for you
http://www.youtube.com/watch? v=kk5IpUAsb1E

cookessentials, May 10, 12:12am
http://www.fagoramerica.com/cookware/pressure_cookers/duo_li
ne/duo

olwen, May 10, 12:15am
I bought a pressure cooker more like a frying pan from an Indian shop. No instructions, but I find it great for curries

olwen, May 10, 12:18am
Incidentally I got the idea of using it for curries from a site called http://showmethecurry.com/ which has two lovely Indian women demonstrating making curry and sometimes using a pressure pan. There are a lot of pressure cookers made in India including some of the brands our mothers and grandmothers used. Mine is black coated aluminium.

noelinevc, May 10, 2:54am
I use mine all the time. New ones are not scary at all. Lamb shanks take 25 mins, chicken less than 20 min so with your vegetables added you can have dinner done in less than 30 mins, corned beef 20 mins. Perfect for any stew or curry. Any if you are in to chickpeas etc they are fantastic. Fagor is a great brand I have a Fissler. Best investment I have made and I like not having to preplan my meal but decide at the last minute what flavour dinner I would like.

traceedwards, May 10, 3:05am
Fagor Duo here. Other half picked it up at a garage sale for $10, mint condition.

Absolutely love it

melandshane, May 10, 3:44am
Now I really want one! was thinking they would cost $200ish not $300ish though. . have to save up! I dont like using the slow cooker so much as we arent home for about 11 hours and I dont always know what I want for tea in the morning. "Real" magazine from NW had an article about pressure cookers and some really yummy recipies! !

marob2, May 10, 3:50am
I have got an old one. (Prestige)Scared the wits out of me in the early stages but MIL gave me some good tips. Great for stews and soups made the "old fashioned way" with barley and lentils. They cook in a very short time. I also have a slow cooker but the pressure cooker is a good back up for meals in a hurry ! ! !

cookessentials, May 10, 4:02am
Depends on the size you are after.

fisher, Apr 17, 3:47am
Mine is a "MONIX" made in Spain. . Stainless steel with a twist locking lid mechanism and a 3 button systems for various pressures. . looks similar to the Fagor above. . acquired new, back in 80's and was put to much use before the real advent/popular use of slow cookers. . Cooked many a fine meal...