Steamer Cookers - anyone use them?

sphinx460, Jul 19, 3:12am
There's one going on 1-Day and I'd like to know what other people think of them and what kind of food you prepare in yours. Thanks.

grandma, Jul 19, 3:51am
I use ours every day for our vegies - I wouldn't be without it now.I use the liquid that is caught for making gravy etc, so it must be good for us!My 91 year old father also uses his every day and cooks his meat and fish in it at the same time.

antoniab, Jul 19, 4:47am
I just use one of those cheap as bamboo steamers for asain supermarket - I dont have any extra room in my kitchen for any more 'machines' lol

addington261, Jul 20, 4:34am
We use ours every day and love it.

janny3, Jul 20, 9:03am
Spuds & pumpkin have been steaming & now spinach on top with some leftover roast to warm through.It all smells delicious.What else apart from veg, fish, meats can I cook in the steamer!

245sam, Jul 20, 9:14am
janny3, I don't know what brand of steamer you have but presumably they are all much the same as far as what can be cooked in them so to answer your question "What else apart from veg, fish, meats can I cook in the steamer!".couscous, eggs, rice - have a look at:-

http://www.georgeforeman.com.au/recipes/docs/steaming-recipes.pdf

janny3, Jul 20, 10:12am
Oh thank you very much!My dinner of butternut, spuds, spinach & steamed leftover roast was absolutely delicious and so effortless.Now I will try some Orzo pasta instead of rice & see how that goes.Fabulous!

racecom, Jul 24, 3:03am
As a family conscious of healthy eating we use one for vegetables meats and especially fish. We got it from www.derekthechef.co.nz it is in his shop listed as a steamer poaching Kettle. well worth the money and oh so useful.
Even used it to cook mutton in (olde School Style) with parsley and caper sauce. Bought back great memories of my Mums cooking in the 50's.

cookessentials, Jul 24, 3:42am
I have a saucepan with a steamer insert which i use every day for all my vegetables. i never boil them.