Is anyone making bread in their slow cooker?

Page 2 / 11
onekiwigirl, Feb 17, 11:15pm
Just in answer to above re yeast vs surebake. In view of the extra baking powder in the surebake I would not use surebake as it may rise too much and then collapse in the middle before it is finished cooking/baking, which is one of the reasons I mentioned not to use more than the 15gr or three teaspoons of yeast. Over the years of making this bread I learnt that each time I used just that bit more yeast the loaf would rise very nicely and then collapse in the middle before it was finished baking/cooking, although the bread was still very nice to eat, just not so nice to look at as one that has not sunk in the middle.

onekiwigirl, Feb 17, 11:18pm
In other words if you use surebake I think there is more chance that it will sink in the middle before finished baking/cooking.

cgvl, Feb 18, 1:01am
hmm I just made this. Yes used surebake and did the initial mix in the breadmaker.
I'm disappointed it didn't rise as much as yours seems to have done.
It looks great but not very high, is under grill at present so will see what its like once cut and tasted. It hasn't sunk in middle but it may due to being dropped on its head when I got it out of slow cooker. I may also have had the slow cooker too warm when I put the bread dough in. So will experiment again.
Recipe is good and easy to follow.

onekiwigirl, Feb 18, 1:12am
Sorry to hear, I had a little chuckle, you are quite right they are hard to get out of the hot bowl, it is just a matter of holding the bowl with two tea towels and tipping upside down over a wire wrack. It should still taste good!

cgvl, Feb 18, 7:51am
mmm tastes fine, but a little chewy but then that is how vogels tastes to me so yep It'll do for toast as that is all I use bread for anyway.
Will try again, I think after much mulling over I heated the slow cooker too long, so the bread didn't really get a chance to rise properly. Ah well all a failure is, is a learning curve. I love experimenting with food, tastes, flavours and recipes. I have heaps of self recipes and if I don't write down what I do at the time then the next one is again an experiment to see if I can reproduce the last version lol.

jaky, Feb 18, 8:04am
I just made some tonight but couldn't let it rest overnight & it's half gone already (thanks to the kids lol). I used tasti breadmaker yeast & did the dough in the breadmaker. It rose while cooking that much thatit hit the lid of my zip 5L crockpot. Grilled it in oven & perfect :)

onekiwigirl, Feb 18, 8:11am
Well done! Lets see some photos of these breads!

pukey, Feb 18, 8:16am
Is a slow cooker the same thing as a crock pot?

jaky, Feb 18, 8:29am
In my eyes but others will probably beg to differ

nzhel, Feb 18, 11:21am
I made the bread today too. Firstly I looked thru my crockpot cook books to see if any had bread recipes - and silly me had the Robyn Martin one with the recipe which I had marked to make sometime and promptly forgotten about!
My bread ended up spreading to the same size as the bottom of the cooker and didn't rise overly high. My cooker gets extremely hot so I felt the bread was probably cooked in 1½ hours but I left it in for 2 hours as per the recipe just to see how it turned out. It looked and smelt very nice but was slightly dry, so I will cook it for a shorter time next time.
I might also try the recipe out in my old Sunbeam crockpot which doesn't have quite such a fierce heat.
Joan Bishop has a bread recipe in her book too which is cooked in a container surrounded by water like you do a Xmas Pud. I have not tried hers yet.

griffo4, Feb 18, 8:01pm
l was given some fermipan replacement from Binn lnn would that do
lt looks like just yeast but not sure what it is
Any help please if it is alright to use as l would love to make this and how much of this do l use

dbab, Feb 18, 10:11pm
Mine is in the slow cooker at the moment, and has risen almost to the lid. Can't wait to try it.

davidt4, Feb 18, 10:19pm
"Crock pot" was a brand of slow cooker (I'm not sure if it still exists), but the two expressions seem to be used interchangeably these days, so yes, they are the same thing.

alphaone1, Feb 18, 10:55pm
what a great idea,I'm going to go give it a go when i get some yeast, i will post some pics once i finish making it :) Thank-you for sharing the recipe !

onekiwigirl, Feb 19, 12:59am
Whow!! that looks great!!

onekiwigirl, Feb 19, 2:49am
It looks wonderful. I am so thrilled at viewers trialling the recipe and having success!

lillsy, Feb 19, 3:20am
Anyone have a gluten free bread recipe for crockpot please??

lindylambchops1, Feb 19, 3:31am
That lloks awesome!I can't wait to give it a go!

lindylambchops1, Feb 19, 3:33am
Great loaf there too!Am just getting the slow cooker out the cupboard.

addington261, Feb 19, 7:35am
Mine is in the crock pot now , not long to go but it doesn't seem as high as some here.

addington261, Feb 20, 2:44am
Mine turned out great ....but I must confess that my first attempt is aaaahhhhstill being rejected by the birds on the lawn. I thought I had put the crock pot on high ...but 2 hours later it was uncooked and I discovered the evil kitchen pixies had turned it to low..I gave it longer and longer ...until it was a very good door stop.lol

onekiwigirl, Feb 20, 3:08am
I am impressed with your pics alpaone1, once cut up it looks mouth watering! Next one should be okay addington261, now that you know which kitchen pixie to use! Its so great to see everyones photos, they all come out slightly different! But all mouth watering!I guess once you have made one you can use the basic recipe and start to modify to your liking.

g1bo, Feb 20, 10:12pm
I was at the beach this weekend and telling everyone in our group about your crockpot bread recipe.I will copy it down and give it a whirl now I have just the 3 of us at home, the other two are on school camp.

griffo4, Feb 21, 6:22am
l made my 2nd loaf today and it was better than the first on much taller and l made it using Country Grain Bread mix l get from Binn Inn and some high grade flour to make up to the 6 cups
l used 4 cups Country Grain mix and 2 cups of high grade flour it took 15 minutes longer but it looks really nice and l will now be doing it this way from now on as it is alot easier than the bread maker and quicker and very nice

l just need to watch it under the grill and not wait till the smoke alarm goes off ,LOL

lofty010247, Feb 25, 9:24pm
Help -loaf looks great but is stuck in the bowl ... where did i go wrong - oiled the bowl as per instruction