Slow cooker for vegetarians

phil.lyn, Jun 18, 7:58am
I can see all the benefits of cooking meat ina slow cooker, and have read in here of some good vege uses, but are there any vegetarians on here that would recommend a slow cooker for vege meals?

uli, Jun 18, 9:26am
If you like to eat dried pulses - like peas, beans, lentils etc - then you can cook a pot full and freeze in portions. I used to cook 2 kg worth of beans at a time and then froze - then add them to whatever:)

waipawa, Jun 18, 9:27am
Nope!
I'm a vegetarian, and while you certainly *can* cook vegetarian dishes in them, you don't need to. A big pot on the stove will do just as well. Slow cookers really come into their own with meat. Slow cooking has a tenderising effect on muscle tissue.
I've got one, had it for 2 years, never found a use for it, so it remains in a virginal state.Breville 5.5litre - any offers? lol

elliehen, Jun 18, 10:26am
Agree with waipawa.Just another bench-space hogger.

survivorr, Jun 18, 8:29pm
If you Google "slow cooker vegetarian recipes" you will have success there

frances1266, Jun 18, 9:05pm
The library has vegetarian slow cooker books.If you eat a lot of pulses they are useful as you dont have to soak the beans just put them in the cooker, add water, no fuss.Kidney beans have to soaked and hardboiled for 10 mins - 15 mins.
Alison Holst has a veg recipe in one of her slow cooker books using chickpeas.

red45, Jun 18, 9:38pm
I use my slow cooker for vegetable soups, put it on overnight and blitz with whizz stickin the morning then freeze in lots to take to work for lunch.Also for cooking tomatoes in summer.What I like about in the summer is the kitchen doesn't become hot from all the cooking and in winter there's not a lot of steam generated adding to condensation.. Also not all that stirring etc, can walk away.I use pure vegetable no pulses, lentils or meats.

uli, Jun 19, 6:36am
How do you cook tomatoes in a slow cooker?

pickles7, Jun 19, 7:10am
Here is how I did mine last year.

Cut a cross in the tomatoes at the flower end. Place them in a microwave safe dish and zap long enough to let the skins slip off, with a gentle squeeze. Cover the bottom of the slow cooker with those same tomatoes pour the juice in over them, salt and pepper is added at this point. Place a dot of butter on top of each along with a pinch of sugar and a tsp of ch. chives. Cook 2 hours in your slow cooker on high. Just superb. I then froze them in the small containers you get in the deli. I try and get something in one of those each week if not two. I buy, olives and sun dried tomatoes. I save the containers just for freezing in. Cooked tomatoes are so good for us.

phil.lyn, Jun 19, 7:58am
I can see all the benefits of cooking meat ina slow cooker, and have read in here of some good vege uses, but are there any vegetarians on here that would recommend a slow cooker for vege meals!

waipawa, Jun 19, 9:27am
Nope!
I'm a vegetarian, and while you certainly *can* cook vegetarian dishes in them, you don't need to. A big pot on the stove will do just as well. Slow cookers really come into their own with meat. Slow cooking has a tenderising effect on muscle tissue.
I've got one, had it for 2 years, never found a use for it, so it remains in a virginal state.Breville 5.5litre - any offers! lol

red45, Jun 19, 9:38pm
I use my slow cooker for vegetable soups, put it on overnight and blitz with whizz stickin the morning then freeze in lots to take to work for lunch.Also for cooking tomatoes in summer.What I like about in the summer is the kitchen doesn't become hot from all the cooking and in winter there's not a lot of steam generated adding to condensation. Also not all that stirring etc, can walk away.I use pure vegetable no pulses, lentils or meats.