Best slow cooker please

janine18, Jun 9, 7:38am
hi there, i thought you guys would be the best people to ask. i am going to buy a slow cooker and i would like suggestions as to the best size and brand, many thanks.(then i will be back here for some recipes)

babytears, Jun 9, 8:30am
Watching with interest!

janine18, Jun 9, 9:19am
i had heard that the oval ones were best as they cook a chicken, but any recommendations would be great (or what not to buy).

adrian, Jun 9, 10:02am
My kids are slow, can very slow cookers, what u lookin 4.!
preferably one that actually works is a good one.

lindylambchops1, Jun 9, 10:19am
I recently purchased the Breville Slow Fast Cooker it combines both pressure cooking and/or slow cooking.It sautes, steams, slow cooks, pressure cooks & also keep things warm.I am more than pleased with it.I got mine from Noel Leeming at a very good price.Less than $200.00 I know this sounds a lot but it is excellent.

fenian1, Jun 9, 11:29am
Depends on what size meals you want to cook. Ihave the round one which is good for smaller meals buti also have the bigger oval one which tkes roasts and bigger meals for about 6 or more the slow cookers are quicker to cook then the crockpots I wouldnt be without mine are a lifesaver. Most normal recipes can be adapted main thing is you dont need as much liquid

nzhel, Jun 9, 11:11pm
I have a very elderly Sunbeam and it would probably be considered 'small' in size compared to some of the very large oval ones now available. I was given a large oval one as a present and being a small family, the amount I put in it doesn't really fill it enough so I tend to use the Sunbeam more often. I've found when the bigger one is not overly full with say - casserole type meals, they can tend to overcook a bit and can sometimes dry out. The bigger one is great tho for whole chickens and a large casseroles etc. I find mine both have their usefulness depending on the recipe.

gizmo14, Jun 9, 11:17pm
I do lamb shanks in them. I pop the lamb shanks in, flavour with a little salt and pepper, and then put in one of the maggi type recipie bases. I then add in about a tablespoonful of berry jam to sweeten. Next I take a drained can of chick peas, and add that in as well. At then end of cooking, you can thicken up the mixture if you want to using a little cornflower and then serve over some mashed kumera or potato. It's quick and easy to prepare, and looks lovely when served. Just make sure that the lamb shanks you buy will fit into the cooker (choose shorter ones!)

lyonruge, Jun 10, 12:01am
x1
I have the big 6.5lt oval, zip i think, got it from briscoes for $29

nzhel, Jun 10, 11:11pm
I have a very elderly Sunbeam and it would probably be considered 'small' in size compared to some of the very large oval ones now available. I was given a large oval one as a present and being a small family, the amount I put in it doesn't really fill it enough so I tend to use the Sunbeam more often. I've found when the bigger one is not overly full with say - casserole type meals, they can tend to overcook a bit and can sometimes dry out. The bigger one is great tho for whole chickens and a large casseroles etc. I find mine both have their usefulness depending on the recipe.

gizmo14, Jun 10, 11:17pm
I do lamb shanks in them. I pop the lamb shanks in, flavour with a little salt and pepper, and then put in one of the maggi type recipie bases. I then add in about a tablespoonful of berry jam to sweeten. Next I take a drained can of chick peas, and add that in as well. At then end of cooking, you can thicken up the mixture if you want to using a little cornflower and then serve over some mashed kumera or potato. It's quick and easy to prepare, and looks lovely when served. Just make sure that the lamb shanks you buy will fit into the cooker (choose shorter ones!)