Frosting/ icing which is best for cupcakes?

tarshlove, Jul 1, 2:06am
I've just made 36 gluten free cupcakes for my daughters birthday. 24 are basic vanilla cupcakes12 are chocolate, using the recipe from Edmond's cook book. I need to ice them and want to do them in different colours. Which icing is best butter cream, cream cheese icing ......? I'm not really sure of all the types of icing.
Help please TYIA :o)

misstrouble1, Jul 1, 2:08am
well it depends butter cream is good for anything but not sure if cream cheese would be gluten free is it?

pam.delilah, Jul 1, 2:31am
buttercream for cupcakes
140g/5oz butter, softened 280g/10oz icing sugar 1-2 tbsp milk a few drops food colouring Method 1. Beat the butter in a large bowl until soft. Add half the icing sugar and beat until smooth. 2. Then add the remaining icing sugar with one tablespoon of the milk. 3. Beat until creamy then add the food colouring and mix well. 4. Add extra icing sugar to thicken or a little extra milk to make more runny if necessary

245sam, Jul 1, 2:34am
tarshlove, have a look at:-

http://tvnz.co.nz/good-morning/tamara-jane-s-vanilla-cupcakes-recipe-27-august-2948526

There is a vanilla frosting there with a note re flavouring and colouring it.

Hope that helps.:-))

waswoods, Jul 1, 2:57am
You may need to check the additives in the icing sugar to make sure they are all gluten free too

245sam, Jul 1, 3:39am
From:http://www.chelsea.co.nz/products/7/icing-sugar.aspx

"Icing Sugar
While no cake would be complete without it, icing sugar can also be used to make goodies such as shortbread, cream fillings, marshmallow, and fondant. It provides a smooth, soft finished texture.

Our icing sugar is Gluten Free, we use Tapioca Starch rather than a wheat based product to ensure our icing sugar is free flowing and doesn't form into hard lumps.

Ingredients: Cane Sugar, Tapioca Starch (3%).":-))

tarshlove, Jul 1, 3:46am
Thanks everyone. I know what to look for with gluten free stuff even the numbers. I have that all under control. Ill use butter cream :o)

gaspodetwd, Jul 1, 6:32am
Remember not to use vanilla essence in the icing - as most contain gluten. Most colorings are GF.

tarshlove, Jul 2, 2:06am
I've just made 36 gluten free cupcakes for my daughters birthday. 24 are basic vanilla cupcakes12 are chocolate, using the recipe from Edmond's cook book. I need to ice them and want to do them in different colours. Which icing is best butter cream, cream cheese icing .! I'm not really sure of all the types of icing.
Help please TYIA :o)

misstrouble1, Jul 2, 2:08am
well it depends butter cream is good for anything but not sure if cream cheese would be gluten free is it!

245sam, Jul 2, 3:39am
From:http://www.chelsea.co.nz/products/7/icing-sugar.aspx

"Icing Sugar
While no cake would be complete without it, icing sugar can also be used to make goodies such as shortbread, cream fillings, marshmallow, and fondant. It provides a smooth, soft finished texture.

Our icing sugar is Gluten Free, we use Tapioca Starch rather than a wheat based product to ensure our icing sugar is free flowing and doesn't form into hard lumps.

Ingredients: Cane Sugar, Tapioca Starch (3%).":-))