Is anyone making bread in their slow cooker?

Page 1 / 11
onekiwigirl, Feb 14, 5:29am
I am interested if anyone making bread in their slow cooker or if there is anyone who wants to make bread in their slow cooker? I have a wonderful wholemeal bread recipe which I make in my slow cooker about once a week. I cut the loaf and then freeze it and only take out the number of slices I actually want to eat and then I toast them for my breakfast every morning. Cheers

marlin9, Feb 14, 5:52am
List the recipe might be worth a try

marion3, Feb 14, 6:00am
Yes please. I would like to try it also.

gardie, Feb 14, 6:05am
I'd love the recipe - sounds awesome.

onekiwigirl, Feb 14, 6:20am
Ingredients
15g dried yeast
1 tbsp oil
4 tsp sugar
2 1/2 cups warm water
1 tsp salt
2 cups wholemeal flour
4 cups white high grade flour

Optional ingredients below but not necessary
2 Tbsp Oatmeal
2 Tbsp Kibbled wheat
2 Tbsp Sunflower seeds
2 Tbsp Pumpkin seeds
1 Tbsp Sesame seeds
1 Tbsp Linseed seeds (could be ground a little so the body absorbs the benefits)

Method
1. Place yeast in a small bowl with ½ tsp of the measured sugar.
2. Pour over ¼ cup of warm water and leave to soak for 5 to 10 minutes.
3. Place remaining water in a large bowl.
4. Mix in yeast mixture, remaining sugar, salt and whole-meal flour.
5. Mix to combine with a wooden spoon.
6. Mix in enough flour to make a stiff dough.
7. Turn onto floured board and knead the dough until smooth and elastic, working in more flour if necessary. The dough is ready when it springs back after you poke your finger into it.
8. Oil the slow cooker bowl and place dough in.
9. Cover and cook on high for 2 hours. The bread is cooked when it sounds hollow when tapped.It is very important not to lift the lid till the 2 hours is up. Turn onto a cooling rack.

As I have already said I let it stand till the next day then cut the whole loaf with an electric knife and then freeze the lot in a zip lock bag and only take out what I want to eat for breakfast that day as toast.

It really works! It also works in a bread making machine on the dough mixing setting.I would just try the basic recipe and see how you go to start with.

Good luck.

onekiwigirl, Feb 14, 6:27am
This recipe comes from one of Robyn Martins baking books.I have made so many now that I add all sorts of whole grains and seeds, usually totals a cup full and it still makes a great loaf.Remember to flatten out the loaf as you put it into the hot bowl and then do not touch.You will see it rise through the glass, it may drop a little in the middle, but can not be helped. Best to put exactly the 15grams or three teaspoon of yeast and no more.The out come is really much like a vogel bread.Cheers

lindylambchops1, Feb 14, 7:05am
That sounds great!Thanks, I will try the slow cooker method, although I do have a bread maker.I love trying new things!

hyborn, Feb 14, 9:17am
so just checking you preheat the slow cooker? sounds yum might me my weekend trial!

onekiwigirl, Feb 14, 10:24am
Yes you do need to have it hot when you put in the dough, press it all around so it rises evenly, only a single rising while it cooks, put the lid on and do not touch it again because you do not want any cold air to come in till it is properly cooked.

The other thing is that it will get brown on the sides but the top will not get brown, so all you need to do when you take it out is put it under the grill for a few minutes to brown the top and it will look as if it was baked in the conventional oven.

Let me know how you get on!

nzhel, Feb 14, 11:32am
What a great idea onekiwigirl! What yeast do you use - is Surebake ok? Also I am fortunate to have two slow cookers - one of the old Sunbeam ones (it would be 30 yrs old!) and a newer bigger Kambrook cooker. The Kambrook is a lot quicker and hotter than the Sunbeam I've found. This would make a difference to cooking something such as bread I would imagine. Does Robyn Martin give any timing suggestions for various cookers?

raewyn64, Feb 14, 7:18pm
sorry if I missed it in the instructions, but at what stage do you add the optional seeds etc?With a bread maker it is done a little bit later than the main ingredients.
Thanks - it looks a really interesting recipe

onekiwigirl, Feb 14, 9:24pm
No do not use surebake, just use the ordinary plain dried yeast. I would use your newer one as mine is only a few years old. It might be a bit of trial and error, perhaps you can check it after 1 hr 45 mins and see what the side look like. As for the extra seeds and grains just mix in with the flour.If you use the bread maker to mix the dough, then you need to put the warm water, yeast and sugar in the bowl first and let stand for about 5 to 10 mins while you measure out all the dry ingredients and then pour all the mixed dry ingredients into the mixing bowl, then select the dough setting and let mix. It pays to watch till all the flour is worked into the liquid. Do not let to stand to rise in the bowl but take out when the mixing cycle is finished. The dough is ready when you push a finger in the dough and it spring back, it is okay to be very slightly sticky just use a little flour on the outside and then just press into the slow cooker bowl which should already be on high and sprayed with oil.

The optional additional grains and seeds can be anything you like.I now also add in Quinoa, Chai seeds, hulled millet, whole buck wheat, but not more than a cup of any mixture of seeds or grains. I have found that one can add the cup of extra seeds quite successfully.

I would be very interested in other peoples results. Cheers

kamitchell, Feb 16, 8:13pm
Thanks for posting this kiwigirl, the bread looks yum! Will try it

sands39, Feb 17, 3:51am
I've made 2 loaves and both have turned out fantastic. It is so easy and quicker than my bread machine. Thanks for sharing the recipie.

onekiwigirl, Feb 17, 4:27am
That is so great to hear, I guess you will be making them in the slowcooker in the future.Any chance of taking a photo and posting the link?

fifie, Feb 17, 5:28am
Thanks for taking the time putting these up onekiwi i'm a C/P fan and been looking for a bread recipe for ages, will certainly be making this. Thanks again...

hestia, Feb 17, 5:38am
Thanks for sharing. I really want to try this.

One question though, what size is your slow cooker? I only have a small slow cooker - might have to halve the recipe.

onekiwigirl, Feb 17, 6:32am
I have just looked to see what size my cooker is and it doesn't say, but I know that it is the large one. If I was you I would half the recipe for the small sized cooker and then see how far up the the bread rises in the bowl.I guess half would take less time, so I would cook for at least 1 and 1/4 hours then look, if firm on the top and brown on the side it will be cooked and then just needs browning under the grill for a few minutes.

sands39, Feb 17, 6:41am
My slow cooker holds 3.5 litres. The recipie was fine for this size.

hestia, Feb 17, 7:30am
Thanks a lot - I will definitely take your advice.

hestia, Feb 17, 7:31am
Thanks for that - mine is only 1.5 litres.

workingman1, Feb 17, 8:50pm
Hi, can I please ask you why you said not to use surebake yeast, what is the difference between that & the one you use & what is the brand name of the one you have.
Only asking as have surebake in my cupboard & wondering ifused it would be a cooking disaster fit the the birds lol.
Also is there such a thing as over kneading the dough I know you said knead until smooth & elastic how long does that take.
Thanks

onekiwigirl, Feb 17, 9:54pm
I said to use yeast, only because I have not actually used surebake in this recipe before and the original recipe did not call for surebake. I guess you can use surebake, I guess there is nothing wrong with it!I personally do not like using surebake as it has all sorts of other ingredients in with the yeast which are not necessary or even good for you. I can not tell you what the ingredients are as I no longer have a container to look at the ingredient list for you. Cheers

herself, Feb 17, 10:03pm
Hi onekiwigirl.I am so impressed with the look of this bread!I'm going to have to have a go at making it.Thank you so much for posting the recipe.
What yeast would you recommend /do you use and is it available at the supermarket?.I have Surebake in the pantry but would rather use your tried and true product.Many thanks for your help.

uli, Feb 17, 10:09pm
Surebake has baking powder and bread "improver" in it - and will make a very different product to real yeast.