Favourite frying pan?

Page 2 / 9
fisher, Jan 30, 6:03am
na winnie... you are still sane... you read it as I did. . (Incorrectly written)

male_timaru, Jan 30, 6:41am
JEES IT'S NOT ROCKET SCIENCE MY DEAR obviously i missed out a word 'non'

"DO NOT USE ABBRASIVE cloths and wire scrubs to clean them! ! "

"Wash over with clean soapy smooth cloth and leave to soak overmnight rinse and re-wash in morning and they'll never become 'non' non-stick! "

OBVIOUSLY meaning that if you wash them the way i said you should wash them they'll STAY non-stick pans! !

crikey got nothing to do today or what! ! lol hahahahaaa

talk about nit picking - it was easy to understand! !

male_timaru, Jan 30, 6:42am
i missed out typing one word because it was a double use word

should have read " non non-stick"

jeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeswas it really that hard to understand or is it just so hot reasoning and filling in blanks abilities have left people lol! ! !

winnie231, Jan 30, 6:59am
Wow male timaru - no need to get your knickers in a knot! ! !
I was genuine in checking what you meant.
Occassionally there is some pretty bizarre advice dished out here 'in earnest' by folks who haven't got a clue ... and there are also folks who read said advice & take it as gospel.
I have no problem with my intellect, understanding or reasoning but you didn't quite make sense to me ...

kirinesha, Jan 30, 6:59am
Male_timaru - it's like a recipe - post with care and get the details right and the recipe turns out perfectly! Post without care and it's a disaster. There's a very fine line between the two! :)

kirinesha, Jan 30, 6:59am
Male_timaru - it's like a recipe - post with care and get the details right and the recipe turns out perfectly! Post without care and it's a disaster. There's a very fine line between the two! :)

allspices, Jan 30, 8:58am
Please don't say you are advising us to soak our cast iron pans - I can't think of anything worse and spend my life telling OH not to soak! ! Beat care surely is to wash or wipe clean while hot. Gas hobs need heat proof handles - I avoid cast iron handles like the plague- they might be OK on other stove tops. Re temper soaked pans quick as to restore nonstick qualities.

male_timaru, Jan 30, 9:29am
hahahaha been using cast iron pans for just under 20 yrs and never had any be non non-stick EVER! ! ! soak and rinse is best policy - only ever had 1 go rusty on me - after i left it outside for 3 weeks in winter lol! ! !

male_timaru, Jan 30, 9:30am
no knickers in twist at all hahaha i was laughing - tha

not my fault if you see it as angst when quite OBVIOUSLY with lol and hahaha in post i was joking and laughing about it!

it's a SIGN of humour and joking - as in NOT SERIOUS lol

kirinesha, Jan 30, 7:29pm
I personally suspect you simply have a problem with admitting that you were wrong. Instead you'd rather huff and puff and carry on... anything but say "ooops, yeah I was wrong, that didn't read well! "

bedazzledjewels, Jan 30, 7:49pm
Cast iron pans - I thought you were not supposed to wash them but just wipe them out to keep them seasonsed. Is that right?

TM - go do some dancing mate and let off some steam.

elliehen, Jan 30, 10:16pm
male_timaru being hotly pursued by a posse of 'nitpickers'? ? Must be a subtext in here...

davidt4, Jan 30, 10:32pm
Why?

anglia, Jan 30, 10:33pm
I need a new wok, looks like the Jamie Oliver range gets the thumbs up here but the price is pretty high - any other range that people can recommend?

elliehen, Jan 30, 10:40pm
... . because 99. 9% of frypans users want their frypans to be NON-stick, so the meaning was always perfectly clear :)A bit disingenuous to pursue the point, don't you think?

There's always one who doesn't - the hermit who had a fry-up every night of the week except Sunday when dinner was a meal of the week's stuck-on bits ;)

davidt4, Jan 30, 11:28pm
If you have a local Asian supermarket get a steel wok from there - they are extremely cheap and, of course, made for the purpose. As long as you temper the wok before you use it, and keep it clean and dry, it will last for decades.

fisher, Jan 30, 11:46pm
Yes. . agree. . use what the Asians use. . Temper, then after use, clean with just soapy water to remove residual food/sauces. . DONT scrub it clean but leave it to blacken. . little oil smeared with a paper towel will keep it rust free. . I have three woks a small, a flat bottom and a round bottom...
I prefer the flat bottom to distribute heat better for high temp in the kitchen... and the round bottom over the gas side burner on the BBQ.

beaker59, Jan 30, 11:55pm
I am a cast iron fan and have two well seasoned pans. Problem is my wife has weak wrists so can't use them on the few occasions she cooks so has her own set in the cupboard. As a result we have his and hers cookware.

accroul, Jan 31, 12:57am
I have 1 cast iron pan, 1 enamel coated pan and a non-stick pan. If the cast iron & enamel pans are heated sufficiently, they never stick. What I hate about the non-stick pan is that I have to remember to get out the appropriate implements so I don't scratch it.

jayc14, Jan 31, 1:38am
It seems true what is said about this thread, I have never read such a lot of complaining nitpicking people who spoil thread for others... . .

davidt4, Jan 31, 1:50am
And your helpful contributions are? In the last seven days? Zero.

jayc14, Jan 31, 2:33am
Your response shows exactly why. .

male_timaru, Jan 31, 3:47am
don't worry guys - it's just cos they think i google everything when in fact i have onl;y googled 2 or 3 things (which is what they picked faults with - ie foods not readily available in nz)

lol - i just ignore them now - not worth wasting my time and effort on - concentrate efforts on the positive - great technique i am learning from my new book (absolute classic book used for decades by many successful people in all fields of life) called "Success through a positive mental attitude" by Napoleon Hill (author of Think and Grow Rich) and W Clement Stone (guy who took $100US and turned it in to a $35MILL fortune)

so as i said before above

Wash pans properly and if stubborn as hell leave to soajk overnight wash with clean soft cloth with plenty of soap suds on and rinse in order to keep in best possible condition DO NOT SCRUB! ! !

uli, Feb 3, 1:22am
My favourite frying pan is a steel frypan. Not cast iron (too heavy and clumsy for pancakes and omelettes which you want to flip) - steel. With NO coating.
Why?
Because Scientists have linked a chemical used in consumer goods like non-stick pans and water-resistant fabrics with thyroid disease, raising questions about the potential health risks of exposure to the substance.
Interested to know more? Then read:
http://www.stuff.co.nz/world/3252057/Non-stick-chemicals-lin
ked-to-thyroid-disease

kate777, Feb 3, 1:36am
I have cast iron pans and love them, in fact I have other teflon pans that probably have cobwebs since I don't bother going past my cast irons pans any more.

I seasoned them well when I bought them, heaps of oil and left them in the oven for a few hours, I don't use anything scratchy on them and would NEVER soak them in water. They shouldn't need it - if you have to soak stuff off them then they haven't been seasoned properly.

They're now at the point where I can cook omelettes and have them slide around in the pan, they're so non-stick.