Frying rump steak

..james.., Jan 6, 9:41am
Whats the best way to bbq or fry rump so its not chewy? I seem to get different results rather than consistent ones. What is consistent is that they are at room temp before cooking, are not over done,not turned or poked at too often. I am thinking that as they are store bought there are variances in the age? any thoughts?

melford, Jan 6, 10:17am
Heat pan so that it is really hot. Oil the steaks, not the pan. Fry 3 minutes on one side then 3 on the other then take off heat. Make sure you wrap n foil and rest for a few minutes before eating or slicing.

whitehead., Jan 6, 7:38pm
soy sauce will tenderise steak wipe with soy and leave about an hour then wipe off dry and cook in a very hot pan as above

beaker59, Jan 6, 9:26pm
Huge variation in steak due to quality and treatment of meat before sale. Particularly in supermarkets as they buy from different sources all the time depending on price fluctuations and the export cycle. Sometimes the cheapest sales give the best meat so when on special I buy a small pack take it home and cook it up for a try if its good I will go back and buy heaps for the freezer. What you do at home is the least likely to make it tough once you find the method that best suits you as it will be very consistent, more so than anything else.

socram, Jan 7, 3:18am
Like OP, I suspect ageing has something to do with it.

We virtually never buy rump anyway. We go from one extreme to the other, mince or eye fillet! We both love burgers, spaghettis and chilli, so we buy mince more than anything.

Or, some form of stewing steak for a winter steak and kidney pud or a stew.

..james.., Jan 7, 3:54am
I was lucky enough to be given 4 rump steaks yesterday from a friend straight from the works.He buys it and slices his own steaks from the rump. As I was making a stir fry for lunch, I sliced it up into small strips before cooking and it melted in our mouths.
I do usually marinade wild meat (which we have more often than farmed meat) before frying but prefer the beef taste on its own as a change, if it is tender to eat of course.
I like beaker59's idea of buying a small amount first to try.

buzzy110, Jan 7, 4:43am
For years I did the hot, dry cast iron pan thing. Nowadays I do medium temp with a small amount of added fat and turn regularly. I have never had a dud, toughie, or shrinkage using this method. It means I can also do onions and mushrooms or other things at the same time in the same pan or make a sauce from stock and deglazing the pan without fat laden steam filling the kitchen. The smoke alarm doesn't go off, and it is much cleaner on kitchen walls and surfaces because the extractor can cope.

..james.., Jan 7, 4:52am
I love the added mushrooms and onions thing buzzy. I think Im stuck on the cast iron pans as everything else I use sticks. I am keen to learn! I guess on a medium heat the meat doesn't stick? Do you cover the pan at all during the cooking? Thanks,

buzzy110, Feb 6, 5:54pm
With the addition of fat (dripping, duck fat, avocado oil or macadamia nut oil) steak doesn't stick, even to cast iron. I now use a heavyish Green Pan with a ceramic coating but still use the fat because it makes the steak cook better than a dry pan. I don't use a lid because that makes the meat steam and become chewy.