Idiot proof Scones... a thank you!!

Page 3 / 23
245sam, Sep 3, 12:59am
bumped for bea2 :-))

norton, Sep 3, 3:19am
YUMMY! ! ! Just made cheese ones - its the first time I have made them and they werent rocks! ! LOL Thanks for the recipe and thanks 245sam for bumpin up so I saw it! ! How do you stop them sticking on tray?

samsnan, Sep 3, 4:17am
norton You can either use baking paper on the oven tray or finely sprinkle a little flour on the tray. They will slide off easily or should do.

norton, Sep 3, 6:39am
Thanks I used a little flour (remember my mother doing that) might try paper next time - was it because of te cheese? ?

245sam, Sep 3, 6:43am
norton, yes it would have been the cheese that made your scones stick to the tray. Lightly flouring the tray is the usual thing to do for most scones but nowdays baking paper is a good alternative or if making cheese scones and you don't have or don't wish to use baking paper, try lightly greasing the tray. :-))

strange, Sep 8, 8:02am
is it just me or do these scones still not taste like normal scones. I made sultana ones. . and they rose and were fluffy but just didnt like the taste. Didnt taste the same as old fashioned scones.

subo, Sep 8, 9:41am
Two things. You could leave out the egg if you wish and also with sultanas they should have approx 1 dessert spoon of sugar. That may be more to your liking. Good luck next time.

janny3, Sep 11, 9:41am
I hate the SR flour taste So sifted flour & baking pwder the old-fashioned way & altho it took a bit extra time, came up tasting like great gran used to make.

janny3, Sep 11, 2:45pm
food processor basic scone mix? Cake Mixer better. These are versatile you can add in dried fruits, nuts, spices, onion, pineapple, bacon bits whatever you like. 2 c flour, 2 tsp baking powder 2 TB margarine or butter. If using dried fruit cover w/ water, soak the fruit in a 500ml container gives sufficient moisture to make the scones. Mix well by hand or use a mixer. The dough should become 'plastic-y' pliable, dry to the touch. Bake 12 min at 220°C Savoury or plain mixes can be dropped into stews to make dumplings. Scone mixes can be frozen. A wide variety can be made simply and inexpensively.

alebix, Sep 11, 11:33pm
I made 2 batches of date scones using the idiot proof recipe. . I only added 2 t of sugar and 1 t of cinnamon and 1 c chopped dates. I took them up to my husbands work, now they are begging for more. . I dont think its my baking by no means, i think its the recipe...

janny3, Sep 11, 11:48pm
Going to try that! Thanks alebix!

sue1955, Sep 13, 1:58am
Bumping for those in General who may want this one.

supadeal, Sep 15, 9:22am
bumping Subo`s recipe .

choklate, Sep 15, 10:13am
Oh... My Gosh Absolutely beautiful... Just finished making them... Mmmmmm. Wonderful with jam and whipped cream.

lindi4, Sep 16, 3:28am
please help... I'm finding when I melt the butter and let it cool then add the milk, the butter starts to harden again, it makes lots of little lumps and doesn't mix well with the egg and milk.

subo, Sep 16, 8:54am
Don't worry about it. Just tip it in anyway they will still turn out ok.

choklate, Sep 16, 10:34am
It's easier when... you crack the egg into the butter after it's cooled. Stir it up until it emulsifies and then add your milk.

jrxxxx, Sep 16, 10:20pm
Thanks to Subo... ... ... I can now make scones - previous attempts have been dubious.
Made your recipe yesterday, added dates & a little brown sugar. Crunchy on the outside & soft & delicious inside. My Aussie family wanted the recipe so its now crossed the ditch.

glenleigh, Sep 17, 1:05am
Tried these for first time today. First batch too dry and crumbly - too much flour. Tasted ok but chooks are getting the most of these for their tea tonight. Have 2nd batch in now, wetter mix but trouble getting out of bowl, stuck to everything. Have put in oven on baking paper. It is obviously one for some of us to try, try again. Nice easy recipe though, hope the 2nd batch turn out better than the first. Nice to know reading the threads that I am not the only idiot that is not foolproof. Cheers.

glenleigh, Sep 17, 1:32am
Batch 2 better but by no means perfect. May do another batch another day but use plain flour and baking powder. Find the SR is too dominant in the flavour. Back into the garden for me now.

janny3, Sep 17, 1:04pm
SR flour taste is yuck! My BP didn't make them as fluffy so I figured it was old or maybe the raising agent in the SR is stronger or it was the wrong grade of flour. Who knows. I used only half the SR (just in case the BP was dud) & the rest plain baking grade flour (rather than bread flour) sifted w/ BP & the scones rose just as nicely but that yucky SR flavour wasn't as dominant. Scones are excellent for those impromtu morning/afternoon teas so do plz let us know how you go!

norton, Sep 22, 4:49am
Yum Just made this recipe again - savory this time with cooked bacon, onion, chopped tomato, grated cheese andparsley. Yum love this idiot proof recipe! ! LOL

janny3, Sep 22, 2:07pm
what quantities did you use for the bacon, onion, cheese, tomato, parsley, please? If I get this right, then they could be good for the lunchbox & not just for morning/afternoon tea.

kazmoo, Sep 25, 10:21am
worth making these scones... ... . yyummmmmy

mike547, Sep 26, 1:57am
CHOCOLATE SCONES could someone please tell me how to convert the idiot recipe to chocolate scones thanks