Delicious delectable cheese scones

rainrain1, May 20, 9:47pm
I don't know whose recipe this was off TM, but they are so the best I've ever tasted.Get your gobs around them guys and gals :-)

Cheese Scones
As with any scone, don't over mix and don't over handle if you want the lightness.

12 ounces self raising flour (340 grams)
2 (heaped) teaspoons baking powder
3 ounces butter, very cold and grated (85 grams)
11 ounces grated cheese (312 grams)
milk to mix
1 teaspoon paprika
2 teaspoons dried mustard

Sieve the flour and dry ingredients. Cut in the butter. Mix in enough milk so achieve a soft dough. Pat out on a floured board to about 1" thick and cut with a scone cutter. Bake at 230C. I like to scatter some flour on top before baking and they go a nice golden brown. You can also sprinkle with extra cheese.

lilyfield, May 20, 10:09pm
and the most expensive ones

jessie981, May 20, 10:31pm
Blow the cost if they are so yummy. Soundgood. going to bak 1/2 recipe. Thanx.

rainrain1, May 20, 11:12pm
They are I know, but hey they were worth it

kay141, May 21, 12:39am
There are cheap cheese scones? Or cheese anything?

wahinetoa62, May 21, 3:12am
i make yummy ones which are light and fluffy....and all i do is flour, to each cup of flour I add 1 tsp of baking powder and 1 extra for luck...then heaps of grates tasty cheese, some dijon mustard...mix milk to make dough...knead till smooth and roll and cut - top with extra cheese then bake...yummy....

wildflower, May 21, 3:45am
Why are they expensive?Just standard type ingredients, not a huge amount of cheese.Plenty of recipes around you have to buy lots of stuff for, these would be standard household items I would have thought.I know cheese is getting dear but the price on special hasn't changed much, 1kg less than $10.

rainrain1, May 21, 4:30am
I think the recipe has a hang of a lot of cheese in it , which is what makes them so good of course

kay141, May 21, 4:45am
I doubt you can get tasty cheese for $10 a kilo on special and tasty is by far the best for cooking. You need so much less to get the same flavour. I use tasy and add some parmesan. Lots of flavour for a little cheese.

seniorbones, May 21, 4:51am
the new 'Egmont' cheese is yummy but $11 for 500gms!! just as well I'm the only one that eats it in this house...maybe the dog gets a smidgeon if I cut too much to fit on my cracker!

wildflower, May 21, 5:20am
I just buy Edam, probably doesn't have the same strength but it's under $10 and less fat.Since I've never used tasty I don't know what I'm missing.

mehrtsmagic, Jun 18, 4:59am
I made these today for a group of friends I had around.They were gone in less than 15 minutes.
Yum!
For extra indulgence, we had a little blue cheese spread on them instead of butter!

wildflower, Jun 18, 5:36am
I'm trying them Tuesday for tea, looking forward to it!

rainrain1, Jun 18, 6:38am
I dang well told ya they were good :-)

rainrain1, Jun 18, 6:39am
Plum jam on your hot scone

elliehen, Jun 18, 7:48am
I'd add a pinch of cayenne pepper :)

rainrain1, Jun 18, 7:54am
oh go on with you,that'sanother recipe entirely..

elliehen, Jun 18, 8:19am
Nooooo....add cayenne to Edam and you get poor man's tasty cheddar ;)

rainrain1, Jun 18, 8:28am
who uses edam eeeew yuk, don't mess with a good thing

elliehen, Jun 18, 8:32am
wildflower does ;)I'm with wildflower on this one...

rainrain1, Jun 18, 8:36am
kewl