Page 2 / 23
janny3, Aug 4, 7:56am
Bumping for the person wanting an easy scone recipe

janny3, Aug 9, 8:08am
dc_decorators works for me.

supadeal, Aug 19, 11:02am
bumping for nerak2 to find

janny3, Aug 21, 9:52am
bump Recipe works well eggless as well, just melt butter & top up w/ milk to make 1 3/4 c liquid

alebix, Aug 22, 9:26am
I made these this morning and turned them into cinnamon scrolls. . OMG fab-u-lous... but my only thing is. . is the recipe easy enough to add sugar to it? I found it needed sweetness when i made the sweeter type of scone...

janny3, Aug 23, 6:25am
Yep sugar's fine I put a TB in before I realised the recipe didn't list any & they turned out just great. Served with butter, strawberry jam & whipped cream of course.

alebix, Aug 23, 8:23am
Thank you Janny, im off to make some date ones for the lunches tomorrow... subo needs medal... lol. .

honey163, Aug 23, 8:34am
idiot proof scones pis help can someone tell me where to find the idiot proof scone recipe

supadeal, Aug 23, 9:19am
#6 of this thread.

jenna68, Aug 26, 12:54am
xx... x

mini-mart, Aug 27, 3:38am
tried Food processor? Has anybody tried this recipe in a food processor. is it easy do one handed?

subo, Aug 27, 6:49am
Not that I know of. Maybe you could give it a go and report back. I think if you cook it more as a loaf to slice it could be ok too.

janny3, Aug 28, 3:13am
food processor? It made the scones too hard. Edible but not as fluffy b/c the beauty of this easy recipe is the minimal handling. Just mix with a knife, flatten out onto a board, cut up & pop onto a warm greased baking tray to bake.

subo, Aug 28, 4:39am
Thanks janny3. Good of you for trying. I think mini-mart wants something to be able to do "one handed" so it could be a bit difficult. I wonder if an electric beater that has dough mixing attachments would keep it light enough. ? ? ?

janny3, Aug 28, 5:50am
It's the over-mixing that makes the scones tough. I have poly arthritis so use gadgets from the Disability Resource Centre to hold the bowl still enough to mix things during flare up of impairment. A knife is lighter on the dough than mixers BUT I have used those narrow half-spatulas w/ extended handles, then squashed the dough on the table to cut (or not cut). The DRC is worth visiting to check what's out there for disability. Otherwise an OT from the hospital/ACC (etc) can assess your kitchen/independence/gadget needs. Here's to more soft, fluffy scones! BTW: You don't need the egg if you're short on them, just 1 3/4 cup of the butter/milk.

subo, Aug 28, 6:09am
Really nice to know help like that is available. We tend to take so much for granted when we are able to do things normally. We can all learn from info like this because none of us ever know when we could be struggling. Thanks so much for all the good that you do on these boards.

miffycat1, Aug 29, 8:06pm
keeping this thread going till I have time to print it off later today, want to try some to take to work tonight.

samsnan, Aug 30, 4:18am
Well this morning I made Subo's scones and added a good handful of tasty cheese and a fairly generous lot of finely chopped garlic chives they were really delicous served just warm with lashings of butter. Have tried many variations of this recipe including scrolls and all come out well.

angel361, Aug 30, 5:14am
Subo sorry to sound dumb, but to use use 1 and 3/4 cups milk or tip in milk until it comes to 1 and 3/4 on the side of the mixing jug, thanks

janny3, Aug 30, 10:25am
angel I just melt the butter in the jug - cool, beat in the egg, then top it all up to the 1 + 3/4 c mark w/ the milk. If I don't have an egg, I just add milk to the butter to 1 3/4 cup level. They turn out perfect everytime

me_2_you, Sep 1, 1:01am
I made these last night and they stuck to the tray I used a non-stick tray, but I added 4 tablespoons of sugar. Did they stick cause I added too much sugar or because I didn't grease the tray? (9pm is not a good time for me to bake apparently)
I scraped them off the tray with a spatular and the bottoms look like the bottom of cupcakes. They still taste fine, just don't look too great lol.

subo, Sep 1, 1:23am
ooooopppps Yes a bit too much sugar for sure. We learn from our mistakes... lol

me_2_you, Sep 1, 4:50am
Oh dear :P thanks! ! How much is the most I should put in? I'm gunna make another batch in a couple of days. And how does it work using wholemeal flour? When I make wholemeal things I normally use half wholemeal, half white, but can these be made with all wholemeal and baking powder?

claudds, Sep 1, 7:05am
idiot proof scones thankyou. at long last a nice recipe for
scones. mine always turn out all
flat and horribly , never rise
much not much taste. hope to make this recipe this weekend. thanks
for all the great ideas guys.

subo, Sep 1, 8:44am
me_2_you One desert spoon of sugar is normally enough. Have never tried wholemeal but you would have to expect them to be a bit heavy with no white flour. Also don't forget baking powder if not using self raising flour. Give it a try and let us know.