Secret to light fluffy scones please

michelle2249, Jun 20, 10:13pm
can you pls share your scone tips and also recipes that work!!

Thanks Michelle

cgvl, Jun 20, 10:27pm
I do mine in the food processor.
Plain Scones:
3cups flour,
3tsp baking powder (heaped)
pinch salt
butter
Cheese: add pinch cayenne pepper and leave out the butter.
Sweet/fruit: 1tsp sugar and dates or sultanas
mix all together then add milk or I add ¼cup milk powder and enough water to give a stiif dough.
Turn out onto a floured board, knead just eough to get a ball, then using a light hand and a rolling pin, roll out to desired thickness. I then cut using a glass or cookie cutter and bake.
Bake 220 C for 7-10 mins, secret is to put the baking tray on the top or 2nd to top rung.
Oh butter, cheese and fruit are basically done to eye or amount I feel like at time, just guessimate but propably 50-100gm butter, 1 cup or thereabouts of grated cheese, and a good handful or ½ cup fruit.

cookessentials, Jun 20, 10:43pm
Buttermilk. I only ever make buttermilk scones as they stay soft, even the following day.

cookessentials, Jun 20, 10:44pm
Buttermilk Scones
Ingredients:
2 cups self raising flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp caster sugar
1/2 tsp baking soda
60g butter
2/3 - 3/4 cup buttermilk
Method:
Sift all dry ingredients in a mixing bowl, rub in butter until mix resembles breadcrumbs. Add enough buttermilk to make a fairly soft dough. Turn onto a floured board and knead lightly. Pat or roll dough to about 1cm thickness. Cut into rounds with a 5cm (2 inch) cutter. Place on un-greased baking trays and bake in a preheated very hot oven (230C/450F) for 10 - 12 minutes or until golden. These are lovely ones to do with jam and whipped cream for afternoon tea.

cookessentials (1167 )1:39 pm, Wed 23 Jun #4

susieq9, Jun 20, 11:00pm
Buttermilk is one thing I don't usually buy. If I add a squeeze of lemon juice to the milk or cream will this do? tia

scannell2, Jun 20, 11:02pm
the best and easiest no fail scones are the lemondae scones. i like everything to turn out and these are awesome and not much ingredients. search on here for the recipe people swear by them

lavender32, Jun 20, 11:31pm
I have found the lighter the mixture the better the texture & rise is. So I always add a little more milk so mixture is really soft & spongy when kneeding.

waswoods, Jun 20, 11:35pm
Don't handle them too much

freds69, Jun 21, 12:07am
i always use lemonade as the liquid and they come out perfect light and fluffy

heres my recipe

Ingredients

4 cups self-raising flour
300ml cream (1 small bottle of cream)
1/4 cup Chelsea White Sugar
1 can lemonade (355ml) Sprite or 7UP etc
1/2 tsp salt

Method

Preheat oven to 220ºC. Cover an oven tray with a sheet of baking paper or spray well with non stick baking spray.

Mix all ingredients in a bowl to a smooth dough. Tip out onto a well floured bench and cut into squares or press out with a round cookie cutter. Place the scones, just touching each other, on the prepared baking tray. Bake for about 15 - 20 minutes until starting to colour pale golden. Check they are cooked through and cool on a wire rack, covered with a clean teatowel (this keeps the scones lovely and soft).

Cut in half and spread with jam or honey when cool enough to eat.

SCONE VARIATIONS:

· Add some dried fruit to the mixture for example - 1 cup chopped dates or 1 cup sultanas or raisins or 1 cup dried cranberries.
· Add 1 cup of chocolate chips to the mixture.
· To make savory scones, replace the lemonade with soda water and any of these optional extras -
· 1 large onion, finely chopped
· 1 cup grated tasty cheese
· 6 rashers lean rindless bacon, chopped
· 3 tablespoons chopped parsley or fresh herbs
· To make a cinnamon pinwheel scone, mix 2 teaspoons cinnamon with 3/4 cup caster sugar. Lay the dough mixture out flat on a well floured bench. Pat out to be a rectangle approximately 30 x 20 cm. Sprinkle the cinnamon mixture over the surface. Roll up from the long side into a sausage shape then cut into slices. Lay the slices on a prepared tray so they just touch each other, cook and cool as above. The lovely sticky cinnamon filling can be quite hot so remember to cool them down before biting in.

michelle2249, Jun 21, 10:13pm
can you pls share your scone tips and also recipes that work!

Thanks Michelle

susieq9, Jun 21, 11:00pm
Buttermilk is one thing I don't usually buy. If I add a squeeze of lemon juice to the milk or cream will this do! tia

waswoods, Jun 21, 11:35pm
Don't handle them too much