Do people still wrap scones

Page 1 / 2
rainrain1, May 21, 6:13am
x1
in a teatowel after they come out of the oven like mother used to do?

grannypam, May 21, 6:18am
I don't but yes my mum and my nana before her used to..

mothergoose_nz, May 21, 6:20am
i always do.only way to do them.

rainrain1, May 21, 6:22am
I wonder what they did that for.To keep and eat warmer

cgvl, May 21, 6:22am
always do here too.

grannypam, May 21, 6:25am
I was told that it was to keep the steam in and therefore to keep the scones soft as they cooled..

rainrain1, May 21, 6:25am
I dotoo actually, but i don't know why i do it

grandma, May 21, 7:22am
Me too - it is supposed to make them softer.Don't know if it works, as I have always done it, as did my mother and hers before her.

kay141, May 21, 7:25am
The steam makes the tops and bottoms soft and will keep them warmer as well. If you want crisp tops, don't wrap. I cover pikelets as well. Stops them getting cold and they seem to be tougher cold.

motorbo, May 21, 7:28am
when i used to make soup and scones on a sunday when my son was young YES, why i dunno cos my mum did, kinda kept them warm without them sweating and i would then pop them on the table ...and we usually had a nice bacon hock and vege soup with...hmmmyummmmmmm

lurtz, May 21, 7:43am
Yes, and I also do the twenty four hours, tin upside down coolingwithin a towel for Christmas cakes or rich fruit cakes. I'm not sure if it makes a difference, but it's all part of the mystique, and the family then know I've made an effort:-)

norse_westie, May 21, 8:14am
Yes, and I do it to my bread too.

pickles7, May 21, 8:23am
Same here , bread, scones, pikelets, crumpets, loaves, all get wrapped.

rosiemoodle, May 21, 9:34pm
yes and put them in a colander just like mum did

lissy73, May 21, 9:45pm
I do :)

rainrain1, May 21, 9:58pm
In the colander lolthat's kind of funny, I supposeto let the steam escape out the bottom. I use a teatowel on a cake rack.. Mine are always like rock the next day though, (my husband likes to drop a scone onto his plate and tap his knife on the table at the same time pretending it was the scone that made the noise, he's been doing it for years I kid you not lol),so hard scones getheated in microwave if they don't make it to the freezer.Or my lucky fowlhouse moviestar residents get the leftovers

daleaway, May 22, 12:17am
Yes, wrapped in a clean tea towel in a colander. Tea towel stops them drying out and colander keeps in most of the heat while stopping the moisture from pooling at the bottom. Granny's practice.
Ways of making scones stay softer include adding more fat to the mix, and adding yoghurt to the mixing milk.

t.gypsy, May 22, 12:39am
yeap

esther-anne, May 22, 1:32am
Nope - never.I like my scones - particular cheese ones, to be very crispy on top!!

jan.w1, May 22, 4:47am
YEP TEATOWEL DOES THE TRICK.

rainrain1, May 22, 6:13am
in a teatowel after they come out of the oven like mother used to do!

grannypam, May 22, 6:18am
I don't but yes my mum and my nana before her used to.

grannypam, May 22, 6:25am
I was told that it was to keep the steam in and therefore to keep the scones soft as they cooled.

rainrain1, May 22, 6:25am
I dotoo actually, but i don't know why i do it

grandma, May 22, 7:22am
Me too - it is supposed to make them softer.Don't know if it works, as I have always done it, as did my mother and hers before her.