Idiot proof Scones... a thank you!!

Page 1 / 23
subo, Jun 22, 10:05am
charlieb2 Thank you too for all your great effort of encouraging so many people to give it a go.

charlieb2, Jun 22, 10:09am
and Thank YOU subo Honestly... . I cant believe how great this recipe is... . . You deserve a gold star! ! !

janny3, Jun 22, 11:37am
much appreciated everyone thanks!

subo, Jun 24, 9:45pm
For the scone people. Have fun and enjoy some of the great variations.

charlieb2, Jun 28, 6:32am
bumping ...

nzmar, Jun 28, 10:44pm
yay I'm gonna try these this afternoon with Gluten free flour and cheese. Hope it works cos then my daughter will live on them for lunches! thx, will let you know how they go...

samsnan, Jul 3, 9:35am
Hey Subo I am in Western Australia at the moment on holiday. While in the Kimberley area I gave this recipe to 3 ladies on a boat trip who I heard say they couldnt make scones. Wrote it on a serviette so now your recipe is moving around Australia.

janny3, Jul 3, 1:05pm
Great recipe thanks But I HATE the SR flour taste. So tried to make them w/ 1 tsp baking pwdr per c flour & they're not as light or fluffy. So compromised w/ 1/2 SR flour & 1/2 plain w/ baking pwdr & they were almost as good but tasted better than full SR flour.

I don't know why SR tastes so yuck but the scone recipe is wonderful.

subo, Jul 3, 10:46pm
samsnan. It is so good to share simple recipes to help people who normally wouldn't bake too. There are others here that have given the recipe to their kids flatting in the UK doing their big OE.

subo, Jul 3, 11:02pm
janny3 My understanding is that the sodium aluminum sulfate from the baking powder in self raising flour causes the acidic taste. I haven't tried this but it may work. To 3 cups plain flour (not high grade). Sift together 2 tesp cornflour or arrowroot, 1 tesp baking soda, 1 tesp cream of tartar... sift into flour. You might like to experiment and let us know.

missunderstood, Jul 4, 1:00am
Fantastic recipe. . thanks BUT! ! Mine were TOO fluffy. I couldn't even butter them because they fell apart. What did I do wrong?

subo, Jul 4, 1:29am
Tea towel to the rescue. Try putting them under a vlean tea towel when they came out of the oven. That will allow for a bit of steam to stay in longer until they cool.

janny3, Jul 4, 11:47am
Thanks Sub I will try it because apart from convenience I really hate that acidic after taste from SR flour. Really appreciate your advice. Cheers!

janny3, Jul 4, 12:02pm
Sorry:SUBO! I didn't see your name properly. Apologies

petrox, Jul 5, 4:11am
WOW its true they really are idiot proof scones! Thanks soooo much subo! ! Made them today (had given up on making scones years ago as they were always awful) and OMG they are devine! ! I made cheese ones (my fav) and I cant stop eating them... so scrummy. Am going to make hubby some date ones tomorrow he will love me forever! !

rastoo, Jul 10, 4:53am
I have to agree definately idiot proof Made these the other day, and the family woffed them down, better then the lemonade receipe I had.
Many thanks

morab, Jul 11, 4:23am
i have been making them with dates, yuuuuummm and tomorrow on a wet, cold miserableday i'm gonna make them with fruit mince. idiot eh! !

subo, Jul 17, 9:06pm
Keep on baking. Good weather for it again.

janny3, Jul 19, 1:57pm
Scones wonderful as long as the oven's properly hot. They rise very quickly if the scones are placed nearer the top of the oven (heat rises) so found the 3rd rung best for good raising and fluffy scones.

Still hate the SR flour taste so replaced one cup w/ plain flour & Baking Pwdr. Not so bad. May do half SR next time.

kevind7, Jul 22, 11:37pm
Great Scones I put in chopped onion & grated cheese & nearly skoffed the lot in one sitting.

janny3, Jul 22, 11:56pm
Anyone done Pumpkin scones out of this? Want to substitute kumara for the pumpkin & curious if any of you has successfully done the pumpkin scones? THANKS in advance.

subo, Jul 23, 12:55am
janny3 The pumpkin is normally quite sloppy in pumpkin scones and as this scone mix is quite wet anyway, I would boil and mash the drained kumara. Just add the mashed kumara then into the butter, egg and milk, stir then tip into the flour. If necessary add a bit more milk.

subo, Jul 23, 12:58am
Another thought too. Crushed pineapple is lovely with kumara. There you go, get inventing and let us know... lol

janny3, Jul 23, 3:36am
Oooh... w/ all this experimentation I'm gonna have to do w8 watchers soon.

janny3, Jul 30, 9:37am
Kumara scones went well as you'd advised. Added the butter to 1 c drained & mashed kumara. Didn't have any milk for the scone dough so used up some old cream & water instead plus a few shakes of nutmeg, cinamon & all-spice. Served scones w/ creamy use-by-date brie & camembere. Next time will add dried herbs to the scones. Thanks.