Fussy husband

Page 3 / 5
lythande1, Feb 2, 6:21pm
Of course. And we ladies sit around on our bums doing nothing all day.

uli, Feb 2, 9:03pm
yep on TM messageboard all day ain't we all ... :)

ant_sonja, Feb 2, 11:46pm
My husband and I both make our son's school lunches for him but I wouldn't expect hubby to make mine or vice versa - that said we don't usually eat much anyway, just nibble on bits and pieces throughout the day as we get hungry. Dinner on the other hand I simply adore and cook every single night, with or without hubby's help :-) A suggestion for the OP, maybe just have lots of different things for him to pick and choose from - cold meats, fruit, nuts, pre-boiled eggs or home made mini fish cakes, pizza or foccaccia breads with different toppings, veggie sticks/cottage cheese/ guacamole/ yogurt - anything really that you can both choose from and he can just take a bit of everything that catches his eye to take along to work for himself. It's only food, surely there's something you can both come up with and enjoy :-)

corgi731, Feb 3, 5:15am
I work weekends so my tea is cooked when i get home... FANTASTIC!!! Works for me..... lol.

lx4000, Feb 3, 6:36pm
Have any of our ideas helped with the menu change and gone down well? . . .. . I hope so:)

elliehen, Feb 3, 8:21pm
If nothing else, the fussy husband might have decided he's got the best wife in the whole wide world and he'd better not make any more complaints!

heidsguy, Feb 7, 1:14am
Sorry haven't been on here for awhile and am very grateful for all the feedback and suggestions.I think when I wrote the first comment about the foods I have tried (sandwiches, rolls, quiches) that I didn't give much detail of what I have tried - those were just a few.

Just to let you know exactly how fussy he is -
- he can like one thing one day and not the next day e.g. sandwiches which he only likes lettuce, cheese and hummas - no meat or any other fillings - having them once a week and then he wastes the rest of the loaf as he wont eat bread from a freezer and by the way it has to be ploughmans bread
- leftovers from dinner, he hates as he refers to as "old" - sometimes he will eat it if he feels like it that day or else I find it hidden in the bin under other things
- won't eat any sort of fritter or savoury scones or muffins as he thinks they only should be sweet
- likes pikelets for only two or three times a day
- wraps can only be made that morning and he doesnt like them in the fridge as they get dry
by this way, these are only a few of the hundred thingsI have tried.

He is also fussy with every other meal
- will only eat 3/4 of a packet of cereal as the end bit "isnt nice" even though it is stored in a container
- the last bit of milk in a bottle isnt nice, neither icecream and many other things.

I have got very clever though and am now refilling leftovers of milk that are still noway near the use by date and refilling new bottles - have too be very creative.

His mum passed away 4 years ago today and apart from his grandparents who dote on him, he has noone.Being an only child meant that I think he was allowed to be fussy which makes my life hell now.

The reason I wrote this on was to see if other people are in the same boat as me.If i gave him free choice to choose his own lunch it would be bakery and takeways food every day which ends up very very costly!And by the way he loves takeway food such as McDonalds and all that which is very very strange as you have no idea about there hygiene habits especially when he wont eat food that other people like friends and my family have cooked in there own tidy kitchens.

He is very frustrating and I am getting sick of it - even told him to write a list of food he likes so that I can cook it - he said he loves my cooking, his tastebuds just change everyday!

rainrain1, Feb 7, 1:32am
Holy cow...there is no answer to that except to let him starve to death, that would solve your problem

sue1955, Feb 7, 1:40am
Ye Gods!! You have my deepest sympathy. btw I think that would be grounds for divorce for me (just joking). I wish you all the best with your life (& fussy husband).

ibcreative, Feb 7, 1:46am
+1. Sorry #1 but he sounds like a very spoilt little boy.I couldn't put up with that.

davidt4, Feb 7, 1:47am
Seems to me there's more going on than simply fussiness.There's a control issue there somewhere and if you can get to the bottom of that your life might be a bit easier.The only worry is that he might shift the focus on to something even more difficult to manage.

corgi731, Feb 7, 1:51am
oh my oh my!!! I am lost for words.... Does he have any idea how difficult he is being?? You can only do what you can do, he really needs to meet you half way on this?? Man if you guys have children, i really hope that they are not learning from his bad habbits or it will be another generation of fuzz pots... You must love him or your'd tell him where to stick it by now i'm sure... Hang in there chic, i really do think you should show him this thread so he realizes the extent you have gone to.....

vintagekitty, Feb 7, 2:18am
He sounds like a child

unco12, Feb 7, 2:21am
I feel very. very sorry for you.
He sounds like a spoiled. ungrateful child.

buzzy110, Feb 7, 3:12am
I'm in total agreement here. Your husband sounds unhappy. But that doesn't solve your problem. Here is what you can do for his lunches. I have no further help with regards his behaviour over food at other times.

Let him eat his bakery and Mcdonald's every day but you both need to settle a budget. If you agree that it costs $30 to provide a homemade lunch for 5 days of the week then that is all he has to spend over that same period every week.

Give him the allowance, in full, on Monday and leave him to it. If he ends up in a profit situation on Friday then that is good. You can give him only what it takes to bring the amount of money he has to spend, weekly, to the agreed figure. If he blows his budget in less time, then he goes without or uses all those 'ends of foods' he won't eat to create his own lunch. Lol. I'd like to see him living on leftover cereal and the last of the milk for lunch.

It is a pity you have to behave like this. May I suggest he needs professional help and you need to have a husband, not an adult child.

heidsguy, Feb 7, 3:28am
Thanks heaps for the support, my plan is to show him this thread tonight - lets hope for a miraculous wake up call.

buzzy110, Feb 7, 3:35am
Errm. You are going to show him your 'creativity' as outlined in post #58??

lythande1, Feb 7, 3:38am
Divorce him.

elliehen, Feb 7, 3:39am
He sounds as fussy as my son's cat ;)But fussy cats have lots of redeeming features...

heidsguy, Feb 7, 3:45am
Ohh yes, hmmm forgot about that buzzy110 - thanks for the reminder.Think I might copy and paste them to word and print them.

heidsguy, Feb 7, 3:45am
and edit that bit out of my post!

heidsguy, Feb 7, 3:48am
and yes sometimes I think about leaving him for a bit but he has so many amazing things about him too.He is also very fussy with cleaning and if hehas the day off, he fully and spotlessly cleans everything - he irons, always makes the bed if he is the last one out and is so organised and efficient.Apart from all the food fussiness, I am very lucky to have him for many many reasons!

cookessentials, Feb 7, 3:50am
I cannot see how his tastebuds change every day. i think he is leading you a merry dance.

heidsguy, Feb 7, 3:57am
Yeah he is prob is, I think its all mind thing with him!

corgi731, Feb 7, 3:59am
GoodLuck........ Andhusband, if your reading this, cut ya wife some slack, stop being so anal about the small things,,, Appreciate and support ya wife for making ya lunch each day and saving ya money...Work with her and help her out, you gotta admitted by the sounds you can be a bit difficult... You guys are a team, she married at man im sure, not a spoilt child.... Communicate!!