Is it just my husband

Page 1 / 3
samsnan, Oct 13, 3:39am
that thinks that Lettuce salad should only be made with (proper) lettuce as he calls it. It should be sliced thinly and have the usual grated carrot,cheese,tomato and cucumber and perhaps some chives over it. And of course it must be served with oodles of condensed milk dressing. oops I forgot the sliced egg. Yes he is of the older generation but I must say we have made some progress over the last 30years. Talking to his twin brothers wife and she says he is exactly the same.

accroul, Oct 13, 3:43am
Your husband will eat salad? OMG.
The only 'salad' mine will eat is potato - and he'll only eat one containing potato, diced egg, crispy bacon, finely sliced spring onion & best foods mayo.

mallee, Oct 13, 3:47am
Condensed milk dressing, do people still make that? yuk, reminds me of my much loved but old fashioned 94 year old M-I-L :-) :-)

samsnan, Oct 13, 4:14am
Weel mallee that was all you had years ago. None of these fancy ones you get now. DH is nowhere near 94 but I know what you mean.

cookessentials, Oct 13, 4:14am
My Dad only likes "proper" lettuce also - the usual type that many grow in the garden,although he does not have it sliced.

luckyduck, Oct 13, 4:17am
Yum, sounds nice actually...

maximus44, Oct 13, 5:01am
I still make that type of salad and yes I make condensed milk dressing and I am not 90.

sooseque, Oct 13, 5:17am
Your not alone samsnan, my husband also likes the old iceberg lettuce sliced, none of this 'fancy crap' lettuce and I still make the condensed milk dressing but there is hope, one of his favourites now is Greek salad.

mallee, Oct 13, 5:26am
Your man's tastes are becoming more refined, there's hope yet :-)

greerg, Oct 13, 5:30am
I knew my husband wasn't super fond of salad but a few weeks ago he looked dismally at his and said "The thing is ... you actually like the taste of salad don't you?"."Love it do you not like it?"."Its just mildly unpleasant - not disgusting".Still learning after 36 years!In the farming district he comes from it's sliced lettuce, sliced tomato and egg in circles only with the condensed milk dressing - cucumber, carrot and cheese way too radical.

samsnan, Oct 13, 5:37am
ok so while we are at it who's husband will not eat any form of pasta?Mine hates it but get this he likes macaroni cheese. He says its different.

beaker59, Oct 13, 5:42am
Works the other way too my Wife won't eat my weed salads anymore she did try, to give her credit, she also doesn't think much of me adding fresh herbs etc. So I make two salads for lunch now as I have lots of weeds in the garden to use up. She also doesn't like my cooked beetroot from the garden prefering the tinned stuff.

jubellsrose, Oct 13, 5:52am
well my man loves any sort of salad and pasta.He is 68

eastie3, Oct 13, 6:00am
My mum in her early 80's not only grows mesclun mix,but liberally mixes in fresh herbs like basil,flat leaf parsley etc,mixes up her own vinaigrettes with all sorts of ingredients and is an avid taster of new foods.She will happily try new recipes,loves eggplant and pomegranates,sherry vinegar and polenta - in other words is willing to give anything a go.She was cooking with garlic in the 1960's and going to cooking classes in her 70's - she is an excellent cook and baker,but wanted to expand her knowledge even more.
As for condensed milk dressing on iceberg lettuce,she will happily make this for any guest that prefers it,even though she calls it "old peoples salad".

uli, Oct 13, 6:33am
thumbs up to your lovely mum eastie3 :)

Which weeds do you use currently beaker59?

geedubu, Oct 13, 6:35am
What about the sliced radishes?You are at leats one ingredient short of a proper salad!

geedubu, Oct 13, 6:37am
Another go!You forgot sliced radishes!

kuaka, Oct 13, 7:49am
#1 - my hubby thinks "lettuce salad" should consist of finely sliced lettuce, with some onion sliced so thin that it almost disappears, and some condensed milk dressing.Anything else that I like to add, such as egg, tomato, cucumber, beetroot etc are all considered unnecessary, and not part of the "lettuce salad".He won't eat pasta either!

alebix, Oct 13, 8:27am
Im lucky my hubby loves all types of salad including the "fancy" lettuce type.

He does like the condensed milk mayo dressing but I dont know how to make it and i personally dont like it.

juliewn, Oct 13, 8:42am
Hi Eastie.. your Mum reminds me of a friend who's in her 90's.. not long ago I took her some pesto I'd made - she hadn't had it before - it's now a regular part of her shopping list - or a gift I make for her when visiting.

She avidly tries any type of food she can get her hands on, and has been known, many a time, to try something, then say something like, 'oooooh, that would be nice for my tea/lunch/afternoon tea...'etc.. which almost always is followed by a gift of whatever it is from the cafe owner/friend/family member, etc.. that she's speaking to! Which is followed by something like a 'Really? Oh you do have the best ideas!'.. lol.. she's delightful in her pretended innocence!

mistrycelebrity, Oct 13, 9:14am
i'm 27 and i had never heard of condensed milk dressing before tonight....it sounds quite nice. my husband will eat all kinds of salad, he's quite adventurous when it comes to eating. he makes much better salads than I do so i leave that job up to him, we eat it pretty much every night.

nik12, Oct 13, 10:35am
How come everyone is so rude about people who like condensed milk dressing on iceburg lettuce?!I love that combo... I also like other combo's.
The point I think is that this husband doesn't like change.. how can we slowly change his tastes?
With my hubby, I slowly started cutting up a bit of red lettuce to add, then added a bit of spring onion.. gradually over time I've changed things.He loves salad in general he just had to get used to new ideas lol.I can tell he's not a fan when I throw a bit of avacado in, and I know he doesn't like red onion 'coz he leaves it on the side, but he doesn't 'actually' say anything :-)

marree, Oct 13, 3:53pm
Just read quickly thru.I can relate.My first partner did not like many salads / veges (due to his mother not liking) therefore she didn't cook that for them.Big mistake which she realised.So when ex & I had kids together I slowly tried to get him accustomed to things - he wouldn't try - did not like look of etc (taste buds change over years), I remember not liking lots of foods - did not look nice etc, but now after many years I don't have a prob.What I ended up doing was preparing / dishing up food, if hubby didn't like, well too bad - he would pick things out (very picky), but no way would I let him influence my children as to what to eat - (they love their salads / veges etc).Put it this way, my ex used to get say a burger - would take the tomato, onion & whatever else out of - only eat the meat pattie & lettuce).We travelled overseas frequently - he would not try the 'local food' - I'm talking about eating safely at hotels (not roadside stalls) - he would head for Mc'D's or similar.It is a personal choice, but does your head in when they won't even budge & give it a try.

margyr, Oct 13, 6:08pm
I always have heaps of dressings for people to choose from and last summer I made up the condensed milk one had not made it for years, and everyone went for that one to have with the lettuce salad. In my opinion it is the only one to use when making savoury eggs also.

kay141, Oct 13, 7:01pm
Condensed milk dressing can be a great base for salad dressings. I had a partner who only liked that too but what he didn't know was it was different everytime I made it. I would mix a tin of condensed milk with malt vinegar until very thick. That was stored in a jar in the fridge. Each time I needed dressing, some of that was put into a smaller jar, different mustards, herbs, sundried tomatoes,etc were added and then it was thinned down with milk, lemon juice or a variety of vinegars. A good shake and every night a different dressing. The variety was only limited by imagination or supplies. Might try it again this summer.