Is it just my husband

Page 3 / 3
olwen, Dec 16, 7:43pm
My partner is English, and in declining health which doesn't help his state of mind.He has been demanding cos lettuce (that's what they had in his childhood inEngland).
The only place I know to get cos lettuce is from my neighbour who has a salad growing business.She puts it into her mixes.I can raid her tunnel houses, but when I tried I came back with the wrong one.
He is in hospital at the moment while they investigate what sort of care/support he needs.He keeps asking for a croissant with ham, cheese and cos lettuce.I might make the effort, but doubt that he would be able to eat more than a mouthful or two.

melford, Dec 16, 9:45pm
I would try one of the local restaurants if you can't find it anywhere else. I am sure they would be more than happy to supply you with a few leaves under the circumstances.

nzl99, Dec 17, 3:19am
Just quietly, I love a good ol' fashioned Iceberg salad... is crisp and refreshing.But these days I use balsamic glaze for a dressing... is sweet and tart but not quite as bad for ya.

nzl99, Dec 17, 3:21am
I can buy Cos from Countdown... they have it in packaged caesar salad bag... or whole.Maybe give your local one a call....?

buzzy110, Nov 6, 3:46pm
Cos is so simple to grow. Go to the garden centre and get a couple of punnets. You'll be picking leaves in about 2 weeks and struggling to keep up with the growth in about 3½ weeks. In the end you'll have to 'junk' them out so always have a new punnet planted before that happens. Just find a small patch of dirt, dig it over, plant and water. I use hoops and netting to keep the birds away from the young plants.