Is it just my husband

Page 2 / 3
indy95, Oct 13, 9:43pm
I had to laugh when I read this. My husband also belonged to the
" don't like pasta " school of thought, but could not get enough macaroni cheese ! However with time he learned to tolerate " that other stuff ".

libra29, Oct 13, 10:01pm
My husband will only eat salads made with iceburg lettuce as well and has no dressing at all, wonder if he would have the condensed milk/vinegar one, might be old fashioned but its nice

melford, Oct 14, 4:49am
my adult son is the same, will not eat "torn lettuce" only likes the Great Lakes lettuce finely shredded and condensed milk salad dressing

mbos, Oct 14, 5:19am
LOL, I'm of your husband's ilk!

I love condensed milk dressing, lettuce salad with spring onion, tomato, cucumber, and possibly an egg.

It' s my favourite salad.

I'm a complete pleb. . .

macandrosie, Oct 14, 8:52am
It's got something to do with the way their mums made lettuce salads! After all they introduced them to our men in the 60's?! And for those of us born in the 60's we were brought up on condensed milk dressing!!!

seniorbones, Oct 14, 8:56am
...LOL!! I love 'real lettuce' and condensed mayo, but there are some nice bought ones available now and beetroot is another favourite, fresh or cannes, especialy with steak. I know someone that loves cooked mince with a sliced beetroot.

seniorbones, Oct 14, 8:59am
my dh used to hate pasta but now eats it except macaroni cheese he wont eat and I love it, and I was warned when we got married to NEVER make rice rissoto from a packet, his mother made it at least once maybe twice a week!!! we do have it occasionaly but made from scratch with aborio rice

fifie, Oct 14, 9:13am
I'm lucky also hubby likes all salads, pasta,salsas, etc. But i must admit in the salad dept nothing beats the crisp ice berg lettuce with beetroot, eggs, tomatoes, spring onions, cucumber and good old condensed milk dressing or even better the old boiled salad dressing that you make a big jar of and keep in the fridge. Mmmm roll in warm weather and make the garden grow...

ann7, Oct 14, 10:03am
We call it "Old Fashioned Salad" because we all had it as kids. It is great with frankfurters. Must make it again sometime. Draw the line at the condensed milk dressing though, no fond memories of that.

usualsuspect, Oct 14, 10:09am
my dad is 89 and when salad is served he has to have one just like your husband likes them...minus the condensed milk dressing.my dad likes a traditional salad ...

elliehen, Oct 14, 10:26am
nik12, it happens every Christmas.

"Deck the halls with boughs of holly
Fa la la la lah, la la la lah
Trash condensed milk in the trolley
Fa la la la lah, la la la lah"

Watch the food snobs come out in force to trash that defenceless little can.It's started already in the 'Bounty Bar' thread ;)

eastie3, Oct 16, 5:59am
My mother,having read this post emailed me to say that I hadn't mentioned (tongue in cheek)her use of Puy lentils,couscous and quinoa, her recent success with churros and macarons(by request of a young family member) and her love of apple syrup and aged balsamic .She followed up on skype just now with the observation that when she served up finely sliced steamed cabbage with bacon and mint,finished with a pat of butter to her MIL in 1968 she wasroundly criticised for undercooked veg.Hasn't cooking changed for the better?

rainrain1, Oct 16, 6:03am
That made me chuckle, sounds just like my husband hee hee

buzzy110, Oct 16, 6:39am
gosh it is a bit sad when people cannot express a dislike of a certain food without being called rude. nik12 I'm sure there are foods you don;t like and would not feel it rude by expressing that dislike.

No one has rubbished or said anything really bad about the dressing, only that they don't like it.

Dislike of pasta has also been expressed. Do you consider that rude as well? I intensely dislike pasta myself. I think it is stodgy and gives me a belly ache. Is it rude of me to say that? Am I to be silenced just because I dislike something?

elliehen, Oct 16, 9:04am
I don't think so ;)

elliehen, Oct 16, 9:10am
eastie3, how could anyone have been so 'continental' in the 1960s? Has it rubbed off on her offspring?

hezwez, Oct 16, 9:29am
In my dreams.....

nfh1, Oct 16, 9:33am
and post of the month goes to

nauru, Oct 16, 9:50am
My Hubby has always hated pasta, a hangup from a package holiday to Italy in the 60's. I recently persuaded him to try some homemade fresh pasta with the mushroom & herb sauce he is so fond of.He thoroughly enjoyed it and now he is hooked.We now have some kind of pasta dish a couple of times a week.He doesn't like all the fancy salad mix lettuce either but will quite happily eat fresh "ordinary" lettuce from our garden but it must be shredded.

lythande1, Oct 16, 6:29pm
So? He likes what he likes. Some of the "lettuce" these days isn't that nice, quite bitter in fact.
And if he eats it, then just make it for him. Make a separate one for you.

buzzy110, Oct 16, 11:27pm
A very pragmatic and logical response. "We all like what we like" and I like that statement.

daleaway, Oct 17, 1:55am
I think sometimes these objections are not really much to do with food.

My late uncle, when widowed, got very angry with his daughter for cutting up her carrots a different way to the way he was used to. He refused to eat carrot sticks because his late wife had always cut her carrots in rounds. He seemed to think his daughter was dangerously disloyal for branching out in a new direction (!)

So often these stubborn men are simply missing a person, or their own lost youth, and the "traditional" food becomes just a symbol of that loss.

judz46, Oct 17, 2:06am
My husband always trys to beat me to the kitchen if I say we're having salad and slices it thinly (won't shred)with the condensed milk dressing but today we made progress - he actually prefers the Thai salad dressing which I alwaysuse.

Shredding prevents lettuce from going brown so does make it last longer.

blackbart1, Dec 16, 6:47pm
Cuting lettice with PLASTIC knife will stop it from going brown.

cgvl, Dec 16, 7:43pm
well I still use the condensed milk dressing, but do have others as well.
Must admit the condensed one is better on potato salad and with stuffed eggs than many of the other commercial types and sometimes the ones I make lol.