Left a beef stew on the bench overnight !!

Page 3 / 5
vix.tribe, Jan 9, 5:13am
Not necessarily!You'd be surprised what people forget to mention sometimes.
Your friend has my sympathy, having a weak stomach is awful and so limiting.

spot20, Jan 9, 5:19am
hEY FOLKS - GUESS WHAT WE CHUCKED IT! Couldnt bring ourselves to risk it - took us all day to decide though! If it had of been winter, different story but my tummy was churning just at the thought of it! We had freshly caught fish instead - yum!

vix.tribe, Jan 9, 5:21am
Yeah, if it was winter I wouldn't have been nervous either.

nfh1, Jan 9, 5:43am
Yes that is what does it for me - just the thought that it may not be okay puts me off!

Freshly caught fish sounds yummy!

uli, Jan 9, 5:52am
I sure hope that you all never lose your electricity and fridge :)

http://www.thesocialcontract.com/pdf/sixteen-two/xvi-2-93.pdf

Don't read the above link if you are worried about the future :)

elliehen, Jan 9, 6:19am
A no-brainer :)

If you chucked it, what did you lose?Nothing but a few ingredients.

If you hadeaten it, what MIGHT you have lost?The contents of your tummies, and possibly your dignity depending on where you were at the time ;)

nfh1, Jan 9, 6:35am
Not worried about the future - only worried about facing it with food poisoning.

kuaka, Jan 9, 8:08am
spot20 - just curious to know what difference it would have made if it had been winter?What temperature is your kitchen in winter?I'd be very surprised if it was below 5 deg C for the entire time that the stew was left out on the bench/stove top, which would mean that probably for at least some of the time it would have been in the "danger zone".

kuaka, Jan 9, 8:13am
buzzy110 - I agree with your comments re the chicken sandwich, etc and am appalled that some outlets put cold sausage rolls or pies into the pie warmer and think that is okay - too bad if they are purchased before they get fully reheated.It's no wonder there are so many cases of food poisoning in NZ annually with such poor food hygiene.

vashti, Jan 9, 5:22pm
Gosh I have seen that done.What temperature should they be heated at in the oven and for how long?

elliehen, Jan 9, 10:12pm
Garages often have a pot of hotdog sausages lurking like moray eels in dark warmish water.I've often wondered how far down the road those who eat them get before having to stop the car ;)

kuaka, Jan 11, 6:46am
elliehen - that is just gross - can't say I've ever seen them, mind you I don't go to many garages except our local one, and they don't have them there.Eeew.I feel sick just thinking about it.

uli, Jan 11, 6:56am
Hmmm - must be in the back and beyond ...
Garages here have no such pots ...

ant_sonja, Jan 11, 6:56am
With the amount of chemicals and fillers in those hotdogs, I'm not sure sure food poisoning is even possible and if so, a good purging afterwards might well be the 'better' option lol

elliehen, Jan 11, 7:11am
It's actually the geographical centre of New Zealand - a very special place :)

gotland3, Jan 11, 9:28am
I remember my Grandmothers small crock with a lid she kept butter in. It was stored in the dampness by the old water ram in the middle of the lawn.

elliehen, Jan 11, 11:04am
Bring back cellars!

dec1066, Jan 12, 11:16am
Just read this now. Glad you biffed it. As one of the other posters pointed out anything on the bench for more than an hour is a risk...if its totally vege, with no dairy, its probably fine but anything else...

cookessentials, Feb 14, 10:09pm
Bumping for someone with the same dilemma so we dont have to go through it all again.

elliehen, Feb 15, 4:12am
It's a perennial, cookessentials: To chuck or not to chuck...

I'm still with 'If in doubt, throw it out', because having stopped to worry about whether or not you should, you'll already be feeling a bit put off eating it.

spot20, Jan 6, 7:09pm
Is it a food poisoning risk or will it be fine! It was in a cast iron casserole with the lid on! meant to put it in the fridge when cooled down but clean forgot!

spot20, Jan 7, 2:50am
Thanks very kindly folks - I thought it would be okay but these days paranoia can take over!

kuaka, Jan 7, 7:51am
any food, especially "moist protein food" left in the danger zone - between 5 deg C and 55 deg C (from memory) for more than an hour can pose a serious risk.After cooking, food should be kept really hot, or cooled very quickly and refrigerated/frozen.

Personally I wouldn't risk it.

uli, Jan 7, 8:04am
I leave it on the stove top even in summer - but then my lid fits very well and I do not open it - and I never "poke about" with any non-machine washed spoons either .

nfh1, Jan 7, 9:25am
Throw it away - life is far to short to risk food poisoning.All the time you are eating it you will be wondering .