Left a beef stew on the bench overnight !!

Page 5 / 5
buzzy110, Jan 9, 4:39am
What is the difference between a restaurant or cafe serving you a well reheated stew after a night on the bench or a bakery or cafe selling you a chicken sandwich that had been sitting for most of the day in the unrefrigerated glass cases that festoon such places, up and down the country!

And what about sushi. Rice is just as prone to going 'off' and making toxins as meat and yet sushi with raw fish is often left for many hours on counter tops, protected only by a thin sheet of gladwrap.

Why do people buy food like that! I wouldn't and yet it is done daily, up and down the country.

vix.tribe, Jan 9, 5:13am
Not necessarily!You'd be surprised what people forget to mention sometimes.
Your friend has my sympathy, having a weak stomach is awful and so limiting.

vix.tribe, Jan 9, 5:21am
Yeah, if it was winter I wouldn't have been nervous either.

uli, Jan 9, 5:52am
I sure hope that you all never lose your electricity and fridge :)

http://www.thesocialcontract.com/pdf/sixteen-two/xvi-2-93.pdf

Don't read the above link if you are worried about the future :)

elliehen, Jan 9, 6:19am
A no-brainer :)

If you chucked it, what did you lose!Nothing but a few ingredients.

If you hadeaten it, what MIGHT you have lost!The contents of your tummies, and possibly your dignity depending on where you were at the time ;)

kuaka, Jan 9, 8:08am
spot20 - just curious to know what difference it would have made if it had been winter!What temperature is your kitchen in winter!I'd be very surprised if it was below 5 deg C for the entire time that the stew was left out on the bench/stove top, which would mean that probably for at least some of the time it would have been in the "danger zone".

kuaka, Jan 9, 8:13am
buzzy110 - I agree with your comments re the chicken sandwich, etc and am appalled that some outlets put cold sausage rolls or pies into the pie warmer and think that is okay - too bad if they are purchased before they get fully reheated.It's no wonder there are so many cases of food poisoning in NZ annually with such poor food hygiene.

vashti, Jan 9, 5:22pm
Gosh I have seen that done.What temperature should they be heated at in the oven and for how long!

elliehen, Jan 9, 10:12pm
Garages often have a pot of hotdog sausages lurking like moray eels in dark warmish water.I've often wondered how far down the road those who eat them get before having to stop the car ;)