Left a beef stew on the bench overnight !!

Page 1 / 5
spot20, Jan 6, 7:09pm
Is it a food poisoning risk or will it be fine?? It was in a cast iron casserole with the lid on! meant to put it in the fridge when cooled down but clean forgot!!

goldgurl_design, Jan 6, 7:23pm
should be fine.

ibcreative, Jan 6, 10:42pm
Just make sure it is heated well before you eat it.

uli, Jan 7, 12:43am
No it is not.
Put into frige as soon as you found (hopefully)
and re-heat thoroughly tonight and you will be fine.

spot20, Jan 7, 2:50am
Thanks very kindly folks - I thought it would be okay but these days paranoia can take over!!

kuaka, Jan 7, 7:51am
any food, especially "moist protein food" left in the danger zone - between 5 deg C and 55 deg C (from memory) for more than an hour can pose a serious risk.After cooking, food should be kept really hot, or cooled very quickly and refrigerated/frozen.

Personally I wouldn't risk it.

0800xford, Jan 7, 7:56am
i always feel a bit odd waiting for my massive pot of stew to cool, so i can put it in the fridge only to take it out the next day and heat it up again, but i can't bring myself to just leave it on the stove top for 24 hours [this is only in winter]

uli, Jan 7, 8:04am
I leave it on the stove top even in summer - but then my lid fits very well and I do not open it - and I never "poke about" with any non-machine washed spoons either ...

nfh1, Jan 7, 9:25am
Throw it away - life is far to short to risk food poisoning.All the time you are eating it you will be wondering ................

kuaka, Jan 7, 9:53am
uli - but left overnight on the stove top, even with a tight fitting lid, it will still be in the "danger zone" for more than an hour.Why would you risk it?Last week our overnight low temperature was 20 deg C.Bit difficult to keep food below 5 deg if you leave it out on the bench or stove top.

herself, Jan 7, 10:12am
OP said she left it on the bench NOT the stove top.
I would reheat it VERY well before eating.
What did my great grandmother, grandmother and my own mother do back in the day?None of them owned refrigerators (Mum got one in 1962!) and not one of us got food poisoning!

nfh1, Jan 7, 10:25am
Did they take it off the heat though, or just leave it so it kept hot.

herself, Jan 7, 10:39am
I am quite sure that the roast was NOT left in the oven to keep hot.Cold meat and salad the next night, then shepherds pie wasmade with leftovers and that was dinner for the next two nights.Not left on the stove top to keep hot - always reheated very well before the next meal.Stews were drip stews cooked on the stove top and left to cool and then reheated the next day.

lyndyhopper, Jan 7, 10:42am
I cooked a stew a couple years ago in summer.I left it over night on the stove top. Pot was too big to put in the fridge.In the morning I opened the lid and it stunk.It had started fermenting.I couldn't believe it.I tought that maybe the flour paste that I had used to thicken it the previous day was the reason for the fermentation. So, of course I threw it out.I hate waste but I knew for sure I wouldn't be fine reheating that.

clint.hamilton, Jan 7, 10:52am

elliehen, Jan 7, 12:14pm
x1
But nearly every house had a 'safe' - a box-like structure with perforated sides jutting out on the cold south side of the building.

Even in summer, that 'safe' kept foods cool and 'safe' to eat.

lythande1, Jan 7, 5:48pm
Like that matters? What's the difference?
Heat it to boiling and let it simmer for a while and it will be fine.

prawn_whiskas, Jan 7, 7:35pm
It would come down to OP's personal hygiene in the kitchen, if shes a clean cook who doesn't lick spoons and dip them back in what ever is being cooked then it will be fine.If she was using contaminated utensils then I would biff it.

herself, Jan 7, 8:12pm
herself wrote:

she left it on the bench NOT the stove top.

Like that matters? What's the difference?
Heat it to boiling and let it simmer for a while and it will be fine.

lythande1 (447 )6:48 am, Sat 8 Jan #17

I was pointing out that it was taken off the heat source and left to cool.My next sentence was -
"I would reheat it VERY well before eating."

margyr, Jan 7, 8:38pm
x1
a very good saying is "if in doubt, chuck it out".

uli, Jan 8, 12:41am
That is a NZ and Australian invention. It is not used in any European country that I know of.

ant_sonja, Jan 8, 1:10am
Interesting topic – I’d re-heat and eat but then again I have what I would call a ‘cast iron’ stomach :) I grew up in Europe and spent a lot of my childhood at my Grandma’s who abhorred waste of any kind – I blame the wars ;-)
We never got sick eating stew that was left out and reheated etc. My Grandma went as far as scraping mould of the top of yogurt and such, mouldy bits would be discarded and the rest kept for eating – she’d do the same the next day if needed - there's more examples but I won't elaborate lol Not once in my life have I had food poisoning of any kind – I trust my nose and judgement when it comes to these things though I do draw the line somewhere closer to the side of caution and refuse to go to the extremes my dear Grandma went to :)

socram, Jan 8, 3:26am
Agree with above!We had no fridge, no 'cool box', no waste. I can't see how a perforated box can ever be cooler than the air temperature so if it is 27 degrees in the shade, that is the temperature of the 'cool' box.In the sun it may well be 35 degrees or higher.

I'd also trust my nose, then my sense of taste, and if in doubt, yes, throw it out.

I think that part of the problem today is that life is so sterile and risk free that we have lost the ability to make a judgement and certainly lost a lot of the built up immunity.

Years ago, we had about two day's off work sick every two or three years, so we tend to wonder these days, whether all these sickies other people seem to throw, are genuine through a lack of immunity, or just skiving!

vashti, Jan 8, 3:35am
Ellehen , you are right about the "safe" my grandmother lived in Cambridge and she used one, my grandfather lived on Waiheke Island and he had one in use when we went on holiday, there was no electricity there when I first visited I would have been about 6 years old.My son has lived in an old farm house, where he found one. I cannot really remember if they would have put cooked food in there, I seem to recall it being used for fresh meat and milk. Sorry to hijack your post.

elliehen, Jan 8, 7:21am
Of course it belongs Downunder, in a temperate climate.In Europe a 'safe' would become a hotbox in summer and a freezer in winter ;)