Stew or roast?

n8007, Oct 14, 9:02am
my pet hedgehog recently passed and im wondering what it would taste like? stew or roast? bright side of his departure is i have ample tooth picks!!

seniorbones, Oct 14, 9:05am
The cat bought a baby rabbit home today just about as big as he is, all he had eaten was the throat! but I think I got it before he could eat anymore. The dog went crazy wanting it, hes been stalking it for weeks but could never catch it...I dont plan of eating it its in the bin!!!

macandrosie, Oct 14, 9:06am
Yes you would! Just watch the TB!

margyr, Oct 14, 6:01pm
I would be inclined to roast it, leave the skin/prickles on as this will stop the meat from drying out, it should peel off easily enough when cooked, gut it though and stuff the cavity with a stuffing of worms, breadcrumbs, onion weed and some egg to bind. You could just before serving put some peas on each of the prickles this would look quite effective.

smileeah, Oct 14, 9:26pm
Good idea, or just throw a party and use it as a centrepiece and add cheese cubes and pineapple.

n8007, Oct 14, 11:24pm
Gr8 this sounds lyka good 1 4 wild food fest!!

rainrain1, Oct 14, 11:53pm
Eat it raw you big wuss

n8007, Oct 14, 11:58pm
lol, would rather get the full flavours

fey, Oct 15, 1:16am
Apparently you should use clay to make a ball around the hedgehog, put it in the embers of the fire (you need to gut it but not to remove the spines).Cook slowly.Break open the clay and the spines and skin will gently peel off.Don't ask me how I know this.!

eastie3, Oct 15, 2:04am
Excellent idea margyr,it would look very attractive.

samanya, Oct 15, 5:06am
Don't ask me how I know it either ... but it's definitely an old way of cookinga Mrs. Tiggy-winkle.

samanya, Oct 15, 5:08am
ha ha ha...or why not two courses in one ...cheese, pineapple (canned of course) & a glace cherry ...when they've gone eat the hedgehog?

n8007, Oct 15, 11:20pm
hedgehog anyone?

buzzy110, Oct 16, 2:43am
I can just see you with your pet hedgehog snuggled up on your lap on a cold winter's evening, keeping you company beside the fire or taking it for walks in warm summer evenings. I'd find it really hard to eat a pet though, especially if I'd named it. What was your hedgehog called?

uli, Oct 16, 3:53am
Then let it rest for a bit longer ...

n8007, Jun 6, 12:12pm
Rupert