Freezing a roast dinner

survivorr, Jun 13, 6:36am
I'm thinking of doing this on the weekend for the following week ... has anyone found it very successful, please?

holly-rocks, Jun 13, 7:13am
Have done it a few times but I find once they are reheated the veggies are a bit soggy and the meats dry ( lamb / hogget )

fee1965, Jun 13, 7:31am
I used to do shift work and when I cooked the family roast I would save 2 portions for my night shifts.I made sure the vegies were covered in cheese sauce and the meat was swimming in gravy.Reheated in microwave, was diving at 3am!!!!

beaker59, Jun 13, 11:29am
The roast meat I find easy as long as reheated with gravy Islice up the roast veg then throw into the frypan with a little butter then when browned a little add the meat and gravy stir fry, microwave the green veg.

beebs, Jun 13, 10:16pm
yes, its not as good as a fresh roast, but just add a heap more gravy than you would normally

kinna54, Jun 14, 12:33am
Yes, I used to cook roast dinners for freezing when I was catering, and it is still done often for meals on wheels delivery etc. Plate the food onto a plastic disposable plate, or similar, when cool place plate and all into a resealable zip type plastic bag, make sure all air is removed. To reheat, thaw in the fridge, and then just microwave 1-2mins. Veges tend to be a bit softer, I would be inclined to freeze without gravy, the gravy could be frozen separately in a little container.