Freezing Peaches

senj, Mar 11, 10:42pm
How do you go about it as all my jars are full and trying to buy new ones is not easy let alone second hand, and I still have golden queens to go, so thought of freezing them any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated, thanks in advance.

jessie981, Mar 12, 12:10am
Halve, remove stone then free flow freeze & put into containers or plastic bags.

lissy73, Mar 12, 12:14am
I stone, peel and slice then zap in microwave in a large bowl for 10 mins before I bag and freeze them. I find giving them a quick cook first keeps their colour and they don't go brown when they thaw

senj, Mar 12, 12:36am
do you peel the fruit at all?

juliewn, Mar 12, 9:41am
Hi Senj.. check at Opp shops for jars - you can also use the pop-top type jars that jam, pasta sauces, etc.. are sold in.. they're usually 10c to 50c each at Opp shops.. check under the lids to ensure there's no damage or rust..

When ready to use, wash in the same way as usual and heat the jars to sterilise them.. place the pop-top lids into water and boil as you do with Perfit seals.. bottle the fruit and place the lids on in the same way as with the seals.

As the contents cool, the pop-top will pop-down again, sealing the jar well - it's usually harder to get the lid off after doing this than it is to get it off with the original contents of jam, etc.

I've been using these as well as the Agee jars for many years now.. they work beautifully, and give a range of sizes, so I can use jars to suit what I'll use the contents for. ie.. a small jar of apple pulp to have with roast pork, or large jars for a family apple-pie..

Hope this helps.. enjoy your bottling.. isn't it a fabulously rewarding thing to do.. :-)

senj, Mar 12, 5:12pm
Thanksjessie981 will probably go with this, juliewn, been there done that and even have some friends on the lookout as they work in an op shop but no luck yet, as for the jam jars they are full of jams and pickles and with a family I would prefer the larger jars for my fruit, as someone said if the fruit is accessable you tend to use it , although I do freeze my apple pulp, but point well taken.

lissy73, Mar 13, 12:14am
I stone, peel and slice then zap in microwave in a large bowl for 10 mins before I bag and freeze them. I find giving them a quick cook first keeps their colour and they don't go brown when they thaw

senj, Mar 13, 12:36am
do you peel the fruit at all!

juliewn, Mar 13, 9:41am
Hi Senj. check at Opp shops for jars - you can also use the pop-top type jars that jam, pasta sauces, etc. are sold in. they're usually 10c to 50c each at Opp shops. check under the lids to ensure there's no damage or rust.

When ready to use, wash in the same way as usual and heat the jars to sterilise them. place the pop-top lids into water and boil as you do with Perfit seals. bottle the fruit and place the lids on in the same way as with the seals.

As the contents cool, the pop-top will pop-down again, sealing the jar well - it's usually harder to get the lid off after doing this than it is to get it off with the original contents of jam, etc.

I've been using these as well as the Agee jars for many years now. they work beautifully, and give a range of sizes, so I can use jars to suit what I'll use the contents for. ie. a small jar of apple pulp to have with roast pork, or large jars for a family apple-pie.

Hope this helps. enjoy your bottling. isn't it a fabulously rewarding thing to do. :-)