How to Get Loads of Peaches!

jan2242, Feb 11, 11:17pm
Threaten the tree it is being removed! My peach tree just popped up a few years back in the wrong place. It has produced stuff all peaches so last year I told it in no uncertain terms what was happening to it. This is its last year and the branches are so laden they are on the ground! Speaking to trees works!

Has anyone got a great chutney or salsa recipe? I love peaches raw, but not bottled. Only chutney I ever seem to make is tomato so this will be a first for me.

issymae, Feb 12, 2:02am
peach jam is yummy

245sam, Feb 12, 2:12am
From the "Peacherines" thread:

"Any recipe for peach or nectarine chutney will work with peacherines. Wee had a huge tree of them when I was a child and my mother treated them the same as Golden Queen peaches. Here's a chutney that I made recently with Golden Queens. It is a very sweet chutney, so don't eat too much!

Roasted Peach Chutney

1 kg roasted peaches and juice (see below
2 c sugar
2 large onions roughly chopped
6 cloves garlic
2 red chillis finely sliced
1 c soft brown sugar
1 c cider vinegar
grated rind and juice of 2 lemons
200g dates
200g sultanas
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground cardamom

To roast peaches peel and stone and slice, sprinkle with sugar. Roast about 2 hours at 150oC. You can freeze them at this point to use in chutney later on.

To make the chutney

Mix all the ingredients except the cinnamon and cardamom and leave overnight in a covered glass or china bowl. Add the spices mixing well. Bake for 1.5 - 2 hours at 180oC stirring regularly. Try not to break up the peach segments too much. Remove when thick, glossy and starting to caramelize (watch carefully). Spoon into sterilized jars and seal. Leave at least 1 week before eating. Store in fridge when opened.

davidt4 (224 224 positive feedback) 4:46 pm, Wed 5 Feb #6" :-))

jan2242, Feb 12, 2:58am
Thanks 245sam, that sounds lovely. Will try that one.

laspaz, Mar 7, 4:06pm
This is the truth!

I told everyone that if my black doris plum tree didn't give me a plum this year I would cut it down and replace it, must have scared it because it put out more than a bucket full.