2 questions - garlic and peaches (not together)

raewyn64, Jan 30, 6:51am
1. When is peaches season in NZ? I want to buy some and bottle them but don't know when they should be cheapest.

2. In the supermarket was a jar of garlic cloves in a liquid for use. What would they be in and how would you make the same? How long would they last?

Any ideas or suggestions are greatly appreciated. I have got into the bottling/preserving mood ha ha

winnie231, Jan 30, 7:08am
Here's a garlic recipe from the lovely juliewn:

Pickled Garlic: This is great for gifts. . Peel 250gms garlic and cut any large cloves in half. In a saucepan, bring to the boil 1 cup white vinegar, 3 tablespoons sugar, 1 tsp turmeric, 1/4 tsp mustard seeds and 1/4 tsp celery seeds. Boil 5 minutes. Add garlic and boil a further five minutes. Place garlic into small jars. Bring the syrup back to the boil and pour over to cover the garlic. Cover with a non-metallic lid. Leave for 6 weeks before using.
Pickled Garlic can be used in the same way as you would pickled onions or gherkins. . in sandwiches, antipasto platters, with cold meats, cheeses etc. . sliced and added to rice or pasta salads, or other kinds of salads. . etc. . etc. . It doesn't give garlic-breath as it's pickled. . I prefer it chilled when using. .
juliewn

kirinesha, Jan 30, 7:11am
Loved the heading of this thread - and found a fab looking recipe with peaches AND garlic for you:

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/spicy-peach-chutney/detail. aspx

raewyn64, Jan 30, 7:21am
Ha ha thank you both. Thanks Winnie that is perfect. Kirinesha I thought I had better specify in the heading so not to confuse ha ha

winnie231, Jan 30, 7:27am
Oh and peach season is around now ...

tasmum, Jul 18, 11:11am
all my peaches got eaten by some delightful furry creatures in the middle of the night! ! (Drated possums) so now I don't have any left to preserve!