Black Boy Peaches

Page 1 / 2
meleh, Mar 10, 2:11am
x1
I would like some recipe ideas for black boy peaches which are just starting to ripen up in our garden.

geldof, Mar 10, 3:44am
EAT THEM!yum. just about my favourite fruit.
use in any peach recipe.
bottle or freeze well too.

kinna54, Mar 10, 3:57am
x1
Ooh yum!!!definitely bottle, orstew and freeze for use in crumbles, sponge puddings, etc.
When bottling use a medium - heavy syrup. Enjoy

senj, Mar 10, 6:54am
lucky so and so`s, there are none where I live!

buzzy110, Mar 10, 10:31am
Well I'm impressed. My DH was commenting the other day on how wonderful and amazing it would be to have a black boy peach tree growing in our garden and how incredible that people can actually grow them.

I'm not sure how he thinks black boy peaches are produced if not by growing them, but he is amazed anyway, that people can grow them.

Also very very jealous. Next to raspberries, black boy peaches are firm favourites.

maysept, Mar 11, 1:19am
No idea- though we get a good crop, once we, family, friends and the neighbours have all taken a few, there's never any left to do anything with. I can't imagine them tasting better than they do fresh though!

rthomo1, Mar 11, 1:27am
My nan use to bottle them, delish with ice cream....miss all my nans cooking & preserves.

beaker59, Mar 11, 1:33am
mmmmmmmmmm peach crumble, or go get flaky pastry sheets and make up some peach pastries. drooooooooooooool

I think you are just showing off really because if you had a tree then what did you do with last seasons crop;)

katalin2, Mar 11, 3:23am
Makes lovely jam- use a few sticks of rhubarb with it to help it set; also makes la goodchutney.Freezes well too- I freeze them halved in ice cream containers- makes a good sponge puddings in winter.

kinna54, Mar 11, 3:57am
Ooh yum!definitely bottle, orstew and freeze for use in crumbles, sponge puddings, etc.
When bottling use a medium - heavy syrup. Enjoy

juliewn, Mar 11, 5:39am
For those that would like to grow one, Blackboy peach trees are fairly easily available at garden centres - or ask for a tree to be ordered..

They also grow quite easily, and true to type - from a stone.. and are fairly disease resistant too.. Our tree will have its first crop this time next year - looking forward to that!

katalin2, Mar 11, 8:33am
Glad your tree is doing well Julie- I have a seedling at our new house too, still in a bucket but ready to be planted as the weather cools.

buzzy110, Mar 11, 10:31am
Well I'm impressed. My DH was commenting the other day on how wonderful and amazing it would be to have a black boy peach tree growing in our garden and how incredible that people can actually grow them.

I'm not sure how he thinks black boy peaches are produced if not by growing them, but he is amazed anyway, that people can grow them.

Also very very jealous. Next to raspberries, black boy peaches are firm favourites.

maysept, Mar 12, 1:19am
No idea- though we get a good crop, once we, family, friends and the neighbours have all taken a few, there's never any left to do anything with. I can't imagine them tasting better than they do fresh though!

rthomo1, Mar 12, 1:27am
My nan use to bottle them, delish with ice cream.miss all my nans cooking & preserves.

juliewn, Mar 12, 5:39am
For those that would like to grow one, Blackboy peach trees are fairly easily available at garden centres - or ask for a tree to be ordered.

They also grow quite easily, and true to type - from a stone. and are fairly disease resistant too. Our tree will have its first crop this time next year - looking forward to that!

sclaredy_cat, Mar 12, 6:29am
juliewn wrote:
For those that would like to grow one, Blackboy peach trees are fairly easily available at garden centres - or ask for a tree to be ordered.. quote]

I got mine from Palmers two years ago on sale at $20...snapped it up and drove for 30mins with it hanging out the back window of the car, across the kids laps! We didnt get any fruit last year, but got 9 off it this year and my gosh they were gorgeous. We have a golden queen too, about the same age. both got curly leaf, the BB bounced back but the GQ sulked and had no fruit. Probably my favourite fruit in the whole wide world

kran32, Mar 12, 6:47am
We have a tree absolutely laden with these beauties again this year.Froze 20 kg last year - halved, stoned and put in freezer bags.Can't wait to do this year's bounty.

juliewn, Mar 12, 8:26am
It is thanks Cathy.. aren't they fabulous peaches :-)

juliewn, Mar 12, 8:34am
I just read your message out to my Miss 20.. she's nodding about having your tree travelling like that.. because she understands completely about having fruit trees coming out windows, or carefully bent in a half circle across the width of the back seat of my car.. or the pot on an angle in front of the front passenger seat, the seat back folded backwards, and the top of the tree brushing the back window of the car - and she's having to sit in the other side of the back seat! It's ok though, although sometimes with an 'oh Mum!'.. cos she loves the fruit.. :-)

I have a Golden Queen too.. I picked the fruit off when it was beginning to form this season, it's grown a lot though from the newly planted tree that's been growing about 15 months - it's about 2m tall and almost a similar diameter now.. can't wait till next season..

shazza34, Mar 12, 9:45am
x1
Blackboy peach jam is the absolute best I made 4 batches last year and gave heaps away and people still say how much they enjoyed it a year on. We picked our first ones today and my boys said they were delicious(I don't really like them fresh but love them cooked weird I know). Stewed heaps last year and froze for winter deserts I. would love to try a chutney this year if anyone has a favourite recipe please can you post it.

sclaredy_cat, Mar 13, 6:29am
juliewn wrote:
For those that would like to grow one, Blackboy peach trees are fairly easily available at garden centres - or ask for a tree to be ordered. quote]

I got mine from Palmers two years ago on sale at $20.snapped it up and drove for 30mins with it hanging out the back window of the car, across the kids laps! We didnt get any fruit last year, but got 9 off it this year and my gosh they were gorgeous. We have a golden queen too, about the same age. both got curly leaf, the BB bounced back but the GQ sulked and had no fruit. Probably my favourite fruit in the whole wide world

kran32, Mar 13, 6:47am
We have a tree absolutely laden with these beauties again this year.Froze 20 kg last year - halved, stoned and put in freezer bags.Can't wait to do this year's bounty.

juliewn, Mar 13, 8:26am
It is thanks Cathy. aren't they fabulous peaches :-)

juliewn, Mar 13, 8:34am
I just read your message out to my Miss 20. she's nodding about having your tree travelling like that. because she understands completely about having fruit trees coming out windows, or carefully bent in a half circle across the width of the back seat of my car. or the pot on an angle in front of the front passenger seat, the seat back folded backwards, and the top of the tree brushing the back window of the car - and she's having to sit in the other side of the back seat! It's ok though, although sometimes with an 'oh Mum!'. cos she loves the fruit. :-)

I have a Golden Queen too. I picked the fruit off when it was beginning to form this season, it's grown a lot though from the newly planted tree that's been growing about 15 months - it's about 2m tall and almost a similar diameter now. can't wait till next season.