Black forest Gateau Recipe please??

3084me, Aug 16, 4:38am
I was thinking of making a yummy blackforest Gateau -- but cant find a recipe for one (a NZ based recipe) -- is there anyone here who has a recipe for that please and thanks?

nauru, Aug 16, 7:37am
Try this link
www.bestrecipes.com. au/recipe/Black-Forest-Gateau-L857.html

tortenz, Aug 16, 10:47pm
x1
We always used to make them using chocolate sponge... cherry filling

3084me, Aug 17, 1:09am
How do you make yours tortenz? -- I am a gateau virgin so to speak - and at the same time a perfectionist lol -- so would really appreciate people letting me know what / how to make the perfect one :P

tortenz, Aug 17, 2:06am
haha, might take some practice... good excuse to make them often! (and eat, what a shame! )

I worked at a bakery and made 6 or so at a time, so got a lot of practice!

Just took a chocolate sponge, cut it into 3 layers. . don't worry if it's not that straight, you cant really tell in the end :)

Take the first layer and spread cherry filling on it... not sure where to get it... it was just like jam with bits of cherries in it. I suppose you could use jam and tinned cherries, or just jam if you can't be bothered! Then on top of the cherry, we put chocolate filling... but again, it was 'bakery stuff'... like really light and fluffy mock cream. I would probably use fresh whipped cream... delicious! Put the next spnge layer on and repeat, then the final sponge layer on the top.

We then used the mock cream stuff around the outside and on the top, chocolate hail on the sides, and piped designs around the edges on top. Either wrote on top, or chocolate shavings!

Sad thing is, I was so sick of making them, I never ate them!

tortenz, Aug 17, 2:18am
Oh, and i know about the perfectionist thing... trying to get the top perfectly flat with no 'spreading' lines in the topping. The more you try, the worse its gets!

3084me, Jan 31, 9:17pm
lol yeap thats exactly what happens to me when Im icing cakes! ! the more I try to have it perfect on top -- the worse it looks lmao